World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any mackies showing down the Gower. Goin camping Sat and want to catch fish for bbq.
Where in Oxwich would you suggest is best to go?

G

·
Barrelreef said:
I heard they been catching them around mumbles pier but not sure if they are there in any numbers
Eveytime I have fished at Mumbles Pier not many have come off so far. This time last year they had the good old Kamikazee spirit!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Park in the main car park and head down to the right hand side of the beach. There are some rocks and above them a small path which follows the rocks. Walk along the path for a few hundred yards until you get to a rock ledge. At high tide the water is quite deep here. Spinning here always produces mackerel for me, not in big numbers but they are there. Tried float fishing but with no success, although that doesn't mean that anyone else won't succeed.

Early morning and late evening are the best times.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm going camping at the Gower next weekend, no idea about the area at all. I could take a spinning rod or two. Could anyone give any tips on the best places to try? Will probably only get one trip out, would hope to spin one rod, float fish another?
Worth a try?
And are spinners good locally, or jelly worms, rag worms etc?
Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Three mates of mine fished mumbles pier on Monday. There are mackerel there but they were'nt catching them in any numbers. Just the odd one or two here and there. In fact they had a bad days fishing all round. One of them blanked, the other had a couple of pouting and the third guy had a gurnard and a couple of black bream about 1lb a piece. Thats off a full days fishing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi mate,

I know where you're heading..You couldn't have picked a better area really.....

The best places for you (for ease) will probably be around the 3 cliffs area which you will see when you drive around Bishopstown. There can be good fishing from the shore here as there's a river that runs into the area which holds plenty of fish.

Alternatively,you can spin off oxwich point, which is a bit of a walk but on still evening can be deadly for bass or mackerel, if they are around.

Further afield (about 15 mins in car) is Rhossilli bay/Llangennith which is a long stretch of west facing storm beach which can be fantastic for surf bass fishing at this time of year.

If you so some searches on those areas, you should pull up loads of info that the boys have left on here and i'm sure that Doghop will fill u in too as he's the local expert!!!!

Anyway, have a great time m8!!

Pottsy

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Hi,
Does anybody know the best mark to fish with the best/safest car security?

About 2 years ago i was going to go fishing around the Gower but was put off by the spate of car theft and break-ins that occured in the car parks whilst the owner was fishing.
I would love to try some of the various marks around the place but i am worried that my car will not be safe, I am disabled (Back Injury) and rely on my car 100% so i end up fishing marks like the Knab in Mumbles. :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
RadioKaos, try below the Church at Oxwich on a Neap (at the moment, daytime tides). Park in the main car-park (£2.50). Enter the car-park and drive to the right hand side of the shoreline near and back from the slipway. Go through the gateway in the top right corner of the wall and head left toward the Church (St Iltyds). Twenty yards or so (by the end of the Church wall anyway) on from the main gate go down to the rocks to your left. Lovely balcony of rocks (apart from the **** left there) which is a really comfortable fishing platform and not too difficult to reach. Distance from the car-park to the spot is about 200 (level) yards.
Cast out into the bay onto a sandy bottom or spin along the rocky shore. Species: Bass, Gurnard (Tub and Red), Mackerel, Doggies etc. I've never blanked there and I'm a **** fisherman. Best on a Neap as the spot mentioned is out of the water.
The car-park is safe but beware of the time. You can get locked in, that's why I like to go there for a Mid-day tide. Also a great spot for when the wind is a howling South Westerly or Westerly, it's very sheltered. Hope it helps. Ray

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Thank you for your sound advice Ray, will give it a go. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pottsy said:
Hi mate,

I know where you're heading..You couldn't have picked a better area really.....

The best places for you (for ease) will probably be around the 3 cliffs area which you will see when you drive around Bishopstown. There can be good fishing from the shore here as there's a river that runs into the area which holds plenty of fish.

Alternatively,you can spin off oxwich point, which is a bit of a walk but on still evening can be deadly for bass or mackerel, if they are around.

Further afield (about 15 mins in car) is Rhossilli bay/Llangennith which is a long stretch of west facing storm beach which can be fantastic for surf bass fishing at this time of year.

If you so some searches on those areas, you should pull up loads of info that the boys have left on here and i'm sure that Doghop will fill u in too as he's the local expert!!!!

Anyway, have a great time m8!!

Pottsy

Cheers, thats exactly what I was looking for. Most of my gear is set up for spinning in the Eyemouth/Berwick area, which is all rock and kelp. I presume similar tactics will produce here. Any pollack.coley in this area? How far out do you ususally find the macky?

As regards sand, never fished it. I would try a scratching rig, three hook paternoster with worm baits and maybe some mackerel. Any advice on alternate tactics.

Thanks again for the help.

Oh, and apparently we are now staying at Nicholaston farm, which seems to be fairly nearby, on Oxwich bay. So I presume I can reach all the same marks

·
Registered
325 Posts
if your staying at nicholaston farm just ask the owner "thomas"which way it is to nicholaston pill and fish that right back up to top water you cant go far wrong there but the trouble is all the tides are a bit low this weekend so your best bet would be to fish it at night!this reply is probably a bit too late to help you though i,ve been busy in work this week so i havent had a chance to use the computer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
dog hop said:
if your staying at nicholaston farm just ask the owner "thomas"which way it is to nicholaston pill and fish that right back up to top water you cant go far wrong there but the trouble is all the tides are a bit low this weekend so your best bet would be to fish it at night!this reply is probably a bit too late to help you though i,ve been busy in work this week so i havent had a chance to use the computer.
Cheers mate. Its actually next weekend I'm going up, so not too late at all. Is this a sandy mark or a rocky one?

·
Registered
325 Posts
if your coming this weekend the gower should be fishing really well everywhere ,it comes alive with tides over 12 metres !with regards to nicholaston you can walk down the woods from the campsite and head right when you get to the beach ,at bottom water you can gather razor clams just up on the oxwich side ,personally i would save them to fish in the evening two hours before top tide and fish it back out ,or you can turn left when you reach the beach and fish anywhere off great tor ,you can spin here for all the old favourites, i caught a nice gurnard off here last summer on one of those storm jelly ,fish type spinners but i would have to recommend the dexter wedge off here!as i said earlier anywhere on the gower should fish well with these tides. i dont know how restricted you are for transport but iff its mackerel you want the best place would have to be the ledges off rhossilli, two hours before top tide with the mini shrimp type feathers ,when you catch one wait a couple of seconds so his mates come and see what the fuss is all about and you'll have a full house! night time is the best ,so fish until dark and make sure you have lamps,warm clothes e.t.c. good luck and let us know how you got on!i might see you if the weather gets too blowy for the boat, i've got my sights set for the white oyster ledge!
ps nicholaston pill is a sandy mark and there will be a big rip so your looking at a five ounce grip weight do not fish on the oxwich side! fish on the tor point side cos if you want to go back to the campsite you will have to wade through a dangerous undertow also the fishing is better that side anyway!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Fished 3 cliffs to pobbles today.
Cold at first with rain then it got warmer then the rod started twitching, then bang.
two plaice to 2.5 lbs
3 schoolies to 3lb
one smoothie to 6lb
TB Ray to 7lbs.
3 gurnard
loads of macky, livebaited a few but only one take and snapped me off.
Macky were good fun on toby another angler quite near landed a Bass approx 7-8lb then he dissappeared quick with his catch.
Enjoyable day.
Poach i did not blank

·
Registered
186 Posts
john is this area fished top or bottom water and what baits did you catch on as i haven't fished that area for years, used to fish off the rocks to the left of pennard carpark think its called eastgate, you'd know as this is your part of the world, cheeers, dai.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You can park on the Green at the church at Penmaen then walk down lane and drop down onto the beach, you will the estuary and you can croos on the stepping stones or with waders, watch the weevers?
Pobbles to left of 3 cliffs is good for bass also for macky and flats. Odd pollack show now and then.
Lug Maddies spinners sandeel all good for bait even razor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts