World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
firstly what an excellent forum, with none of the bitching and back biting that you see on a lot of forums.

I'm mainly a barbel fisherman but after a couple of years absence fancy getting back to the shoreline and light tackle bass, pollock, mackeral and anything with fins really. :D :D

I've been interested by phil the floats posts and escapades and was wondering if any of you could give me advice for the gower marks.
I'm looking at either oxwich point (long walk i know i did it last weekend) port eynon point or the left of the causeway at wormshead on saturday evening.

I plan to use a beach caster for crab 30yrds max and thought about going on the float with live sandeel. any advice on setup of float is it straight forward 3 foot depth and keep in close.
Which mark would most suit the float.

Again any advice would be appreciated.

lazy hooker
AKA john

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Why don't you send Phil a PM? I'm sure he will be happy to oblige. Welcome to the site by the way.

G

·
Sea float fishing and the art of ZEN

The floats I normally use for my heavy duty sea float fishing ar pike floats, in my opinion the are more stable in waves and the swell that sometimes encounter.

The size of floats I generally use are the XL size, they take one ounce of weight and they are sliding floats as well.

As you have a lot of tackle that is suitable then I will not bore you with the rest.

All I will say is that make sure that hook length is at least 12" to 18" long and slightly weaker than your main line.

For example: Off piers and at very rocky marks I use 18lb mainline with a 14lb fluorocarbon hook length.

As for stop beads, you might already have something similar, Drennan Float Stops.

Now for the order of tackling up:

(1) Stop Bead/float stop
(2) Bead, big enough not to go through the float, 4mm I find ideal
(3) Float
(4) Another bead, this one will protect the bottom of the float
(5) Weight
(6) Bead, to protect the knot
(7) Swivel
(8) Hook length and hook

As to depth, do not be afraid to try all different depths. You hinted at in the top 3' with the sliding float method, you can try all different depths.

As for baits, you have picked a good bait in using live sandeel.

Let the float/rig drift with the current, espedially if it drifts close to rocky outcrops, weed and kelp. I believe coarse anglers call this trotting!

And, do not be afraid to try something new, I am not!

When mackerel and bass hit the bait, you will know about it. Sometimes the fish will just pluck at the bait and you will see a slight movement, change in teh float.

As for Specific Gower marks, I cannot really give any advice except, try them!

If you need any further help, do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best!

But the fun of watching a float suddenly dart under the surface, gets my heart pumping and it is an often overlooked method of sea fishing!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers phil

Have plenty of large pike floats so will have a go this weekend. Looking forward to it! just need to get the live sandeels...does rogers in swansea marina still sell them?

John

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Ok you've intrigued me I think I'll head over to Port Eynon to give this Malarkie a go anyone got any ideas as to where to fish?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking forward to getting back into sea fishing and meeting up with some of the members as you seem to be quite social...not the cloak and dagger world of barbel fishing.
Will also be frequenting some old stamping grounds over the next couple of months like morfa and then the ranny and sully for the autumn/winter.

john

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out to the point at Oxwich and port eynon and i must admit port eynon looked more fishey.
At port eynon If you go over to the right hand side of the beach there is a path which goes a fair way to the point, passed the ruined house of some sort and straight onto the rocks where there is a big lagoon one side and some nice deep gulliesright off the furthest part of the rocks with a nice bit of current. Looked at this area for high tide but saw some nice places around the corner too..
Most were crying out in my mind for a lump of crab to be lobbed out(litteraly) and float fish another rod..

john

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi tide 9.00pm don't know whether high or low water is best so will probably fish both :D :D :D

lazy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So phil do you try fishing the bait just off the bottom, mid water or a couple of feet under the surface....I think i know the answer is going to be all three :D

I think i may approach it like a river swim and experiment until the fish start to take an interest or are seen.

Also from previous posts am i right that you have your success on this method with 15foot of marks/features/shore.

Cheers for the advice

Anyone got any information on the marks????

lazy hooker

G

·
lazy hooker said:
So phil do you try fishing the bait just off the bottom, mid water or a couple of feet under the surface....I think i know the answer is going to be all three :D
Yep you are right

lazy hooker said:
I think i may approach it like a river swim and experiment until the fish start to take an interest or are seen.
Best way, I normally try to start off about mid-depth, halfway.

lazy hooker said:
Also from previous posts am i right that you have your success on this method with 15foot of marks/features/shore.
I have Bass/Mackeral, Pollack/Garfish from about 1 foot outwards, just because nobody has tried it doesnt mean it won't work. Give it a go and you will be pleasantly surprised! I have seen Bass hugging the shoreline, they do come in that close!
Try and not to cast a shadow.

lazy hooker said:
Cheers for the advice
Not a problem
lazy hooker said:
Anyone got any information on the marks????

lazy hooker
Best way to be mobile! Anywhere along the Gower you have some very nice rock ledges!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks Phil, some good advice.
Lazy when is h/t at 9? according to Easytide it's at about 7.15 tonight

G

·
paid4tackledealersroller said:
Thanks Phil, some good advice.
Lazy when is h/t at 9? according to Easytide it's at about 7.15 tonight
According to the Arrowsmith book, high tide at Swansea is 17:29 @ 11.3M

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the BBC site high tide today is 17.24 GMT so adding an hour for BST makes it 18.24 if i'm correct

And oh....i was lookin at the tide being 9pm friday so saturday again according to the BBC is 20.43 GMT so 21.43 BST

Hope i'm right!! :confused:

Regardless there's going to be a bit of swell around(i surf too) and no wind :D :D

Lazy hooker

G

·
lazy hooker said:
On the BBC site high tide today is 17.24 GMT so adding an hour for BST makes it 18.24 if i'm correct

And oh....i was lookin at the tide being 9pm friday so saturday again according to the BBC is 20.43 GMT so 21.43 BST

Hope i'm right!! :confused:

Regardless there's going to be a bit of swell around(i surf too) and no wind :D :D

Lazy hooker
According to Arrowsmith's Tide Table for 2005, Swansea tides for the next few days are, I have added the hour as well:

20th July:
High Tide: 05:53 @ 11.3M
Low Tide: 12:05 @ 4.6M
High Tide: 18:24 @ 11.8M
Low Tide: 00:30 (1/2 past midnight) @ 4.2M

21st July:

High Tide: 06:50 @ 11.8M
Low Tide: 13:00 @ 4.2M
High Tide: 19:16 @ 12.2M

22nd July:

Low Tide: 01:24 @ 3.8M
High Tide: 07:42 @ 12.1M
Low Tide: 13:52 @ 3.9M
High Tide: 20:05 @ 12.5M

All are based on Swansea times and heights. Hope that lot helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts