World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any marks on the Gower where you could try for some rays and what month would be the best time to start trying for them? Would beach or rock marks be best.
Thank in advance.
Kipper

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why the gower?

You would be better of of Witches or Stout Points or Morfa Beach. Porthcawl Pier usualy chucks up a few good rays - Was there the weekend and heard that a Small Eyed of close to 9lb came of there last week. Have had SE and Thornies from there in the past.

Sand eel/Mackrel/Squid on lPennel rigs with long snoods (loop rig or pulleys) are your best bet as well as a fair cast!

Tight Lines

p.s. Please can we keep personal opinions on the merits of ray fishing out of this topic.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As Billy said why the gower? other marks are better, like the ones he stated, but my total fav mark for ray must be Llantwit major. I have heard of double figure blonde rays coming out of there as well as the norm. As for baits i have never gone wrong with sandeel/squid/fishbaits etc. Time of the year? now to late summer

I think ray fishing is for sport, so have fun and hope you see that line circle!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Gower is totally unfished for Ray but there are areas with a chance of a ray.
The welsh record spotted was from the Gower . i.e. Mewslade
Also I have had a few thornies up to 8 lb from Port Eynon at distance 110 - 130 yds also a few turbot a possibility.
Whitford point fishing into the Mouth of the estuary for a possible Stingray...rare but if you can get one it will be BIG 20 - 50 lb a possibility.
Swansea breakwater used to throw a few out at the start of the wall on a big tide in calm weather.
If you dont want to go up east and stay closeish to Swansea then Morfa beach is the one for you ..fish where the Kenfig river meets the beach in late March/April and you will get some sport.
Fish usually between 5 - 10 lb

·
Registered
325 Posts
the boys are right i wouldnt bother targeting the gower specifically for rays as there are only 1 or 2 places which throw up the occasional 1. if you really want to catch one head up the ogmore deeps or porthcawl, save the gower for quality fish !!just ask blueskip,good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts