World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i,m very pleased to announce that the "gower rock mark" my mate and myself fished last night in quite turbulent conditions,i took 1 soaking, produced 2 codling of 3 and 3.5 pounds also taken were 4 small whiting and about twenty dogling the dogs made it back into the sea quite succesfully with the flingembackin method and they are there for another day to eat my bait again,oh yeah they were all caught on lug and squid but the cod had been gourging on crab and prawn and there was even a miniature cuttlefish so hopefully the gower marine eco system isnt as badly upset as i thought ,happy new year,and sorry to all you cardiff boys now the cod have moved west for the holiday season.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mark i fished was between pwll du and oxwich but there are plenty more but they are usually associated with summer bass fishing .

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Dog Hop
I reckon you must have "Hunted" that rock mark down! or gone "Pobbling" your way along the coast, given last nights weather, you should have been rewarded with 15 pounders, not 3 pounders!
I must agree that now that Xmas is over the cod will be coming west for their holidays, & Gower is so attractive this time of the year, especially Langland Point & the "boiler" at Whiteshell. When I manage to shake off the lethargy of Xmas I will get my act together & drown some lug down there, look for the scruffy maroon Discovery, which looks as though its been abandoned at strange hours of the day & night!
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they ought to call this poets corner,i pobbled my way back eastwards towards foxhole but no further than the bench, take a walk,enjoy the views,love the mark.on the q.t. keep it for anglers not danglers. its not for the faint hearted its quite a steep drop but we'll have all been through that i'm sure.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I know the mark well, I have fished it for bass several times, but that was before I had a severe ticker attack, nowadays my heart wouldn't stand the climb back up, & my arse wouldn't stand the puckering on the climb down! Its all yours Dog Hop.
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You have got the adrenalin running now Dog Hop so I am going to hit Langland Point tonight, I think its going to rain, but so what's a flotation suit for, big baits of lug/squid on 1/0 pennel rig for an each way bet, that will catch, whiting, codling, & flounders, look out Rogers Tackle Shop here I come!
blueskip

T

·
0 Posts
has any of you guys fished three cliffs bay ? if so whats the action like ihave a 2 week fishing holliday booked there in june.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tyghesman, my house looks out on to 3 cliffs river ,you couldnt wish for a more beautiful fishing spot it can get a bit treacherous when the tide is going out on a big tide on the river side of things, but if you fish either off the rocks on the other side of the beach or fish the tide back in on the right hand side its quite safe,flatties and bass aplenty on the right tides, ifyou are going to fish the river side i find that fishing off the pebbles and aim your bait towards the outer cliff is quite productive, i only fish it on tides over 11.5 on the swansea scale. my largest caught being 7.5 and my most productive was 5 * 4.5 pounders. there ere also some small to medium sewin running there and mackerel. on the sunny days the mullet are in their thousands swimming round your feet but ive never caught one in the river all of the fish can be caught on the fly, spinner or correct bait ie fresh peeler crab or live razor fish, hope this helps,dai . dont forget you need a rod licence if you take a sewin out of the water but as is my knowledge if you catch one and put it back your not breaking any fishery laws.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
dog hop you've got me exited enough to overcome my usual reticence about travelling I think I'm going to try Langland tonight- at least I know how to get there. Do i fish off the beach or risk the rocks? Any info will be much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I went there last night & was unable to fish it because of the canoers & surfers, the best surf is around the point, & they were swarming all over it at low water, you might have more success later on, or go to Caswell Bay & walk back along the coast path until you find a safe route down to the rocks.
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you cant fish off langland point onto the sand try parking in rotherslade by the old osborne hotel site and walking round to the left had side and find yourself a gully to fish back into just offshore is crab island which you can see at low water can be quite productive after dark but i would associate yourself with the rocks first it could be quite tricky getting back if you dont know the routes .

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks guys - tried Swansea West pier instead, not so much as a sniif of a bite I'll probably try Langland in the new year. i'm off up to Penarth next week I'll let you know how I get on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts