World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back this evening from 9 days down the gower...and boy was i lucky with the weather. Arrived with 30mph winds lashing port eynon campsite which made putting up the tent amusing.... its no wonder i managed to get such a good place overlooking the beach/rocks...and as soon as i had finished struggling...bang the wind dropped and didn't pick up too bad for the whole time i was there.

Fished plenty of marks, trying to avaoid the useal places which are littered with ammo wrappers, beer cans and smell...luckily found plenty of quieter places with good water. All in all i managed to pull 16 bass ranging from 2lb to 4 1/2lb with more bites than i care to remember missed and a handfull of good fish lost in the gulleys at my feet...along with a lonesome codling

also got out on the kayak and managed loads of pollack up to 2lb, more doggies than i'm going to mention a couple of rays and this thing....i haven't a clue what it is but can't really class it as a mini species the bugger was 6-8 inches long and had a set of teeth that whould put Janet Street Porter to shame...whicj i found out about when it took a good size chunk out of my hand

all in all i had a fantastic time fishing normally twice a day and collecting bait ...i struggled to make time for a beer.....ok ...not too much struggling.
john

M

·
0 Posts
Just got back this evening from 9 days down the gower...and boy was i lucky with the weather. Arrived with 30mph winds lashing port eynon campsite which made putting up the tent amusing.... its no wonder i managed to get such a good place overlooking the beach/rocks...and as soon as i had finished struggling...bang the wind dropped and didn't pick up too bad for the whole time i was there.

Fished plenty of marks, trying to avaoid the useal places which are littered with ammo wrappers, beer cans and smell...luckily found plenty of quieter places with good water. All in all i managed to pull 16 bass ranging from 2lb to 4 1/2lb with more bites than i care to remember missed and a handfull of good fish lost in the gulleys at my feet...along with a lonesome codling

also got out on the kayak and managed loads of pollack up to 2lb, more doggies than i'm going to mention a couple of rays and this thing....i haven't a clue what it is but can't really class it as a mini species the bugger was 6-8 inches long and had a set of teeth that whould put Janet Street Porter to shame...whicj i found out about when it took a good size chunk out of my hand

all in all i had a fantastic time fishing normally twice a day and collecting bait ...i struggled to make time for a beer.....ok ...not too much struggling.
john
nice report john mate and pics c u soon mate:clap3::clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Definately a blenny, used to keep them in my aquarium. A bit smaller then that one though. You had a good week, plenty of fish, well done! Can't wait to get out myself.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
It looks like a Shanny(Lipophrys pholis) also known as the Common Blenny.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It looks like a Shanny(Lipophrys pholis) also known as the Common Blenny.
I think you are right cos without looking it up I am pretty sure the shanny can grow a bit . But that is without a doubt a good size specimen.
PS all the blenny family can give you a good nip I know of a few occasions where people have lost a bit of flesh to one usually groping in the bottom of their catch bucket at a comp weigh in:schmoll:

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
excellent report and pics there m8 - sounds like a pleasant week had by you - well done!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
shanny it is... as a kid used to catch them in the rockpools down pendine with little hooks an bits of winkle!!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
shanny it is... as a kid used to catch them in the rockpools down pendine with little hooks an bits of winkle!!!
ive warned u about putting youre winkle into rock pools,never know wot u might catch:clap3::clap3:nice bit of fishing john and nice pics:clap3:DEAN.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
ive warned u about putting youre winkle into rock pools,never know wot u might catch:clap3::clap3:nice bit of fishing john and nice pics:clap3:DEAN.

wish my winkle would reach the bottom of a rock pool.

nice bit of fishing there.did'nt realise you could get codling of the gower this time of year:uhuh::)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers guys
i'll go with a blenny...be it a nasty bad tempered one!!!!!
cracking week, really enjoyed it

john

1 - 17 of 17 Posts