World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
posting this to hopefully get some info for my stepdad. He had a lowrance 5150 chartplotter on his boat and the antenna got blown. To get a new one he was quoted around £130 but after spaeking to a guy we know whos in to electronics he sais it was possible to connect up a handheld gps(Garmin 12) to use as the antenna. We would need a special NMEA cable which we got and we managed to get the two connected:) Problem solved!! Or so we thought. It seems that although working it appears to be about 40 yards east off what it should be. The positions of the maps are all correct but it is definately off set. We have ran channels in our local river to compare the positions and test this problem.

Any thoughts guys? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi there,
posting this to hopefully get some info for my stepdad. He had a lowrance 5150 chartplotter on his boat and the antenna got blown. To get a new one he was quoted around £130 but after spaeking to a guy we know whos in to electronics he sais it was possible to connect up a handheld gps(Garmin 12) to use as the antenna. We would need a special NMEA cable which we got and we managed to get the two connected:) Problem solved!! Or so we thought. It seems that although working it appears to be about 40 yards east off what it should be. The positions of the maps are all correct but it is definately off set. We have ran channels in our local river to compare the positions and test this problem.

Any thoughts guys? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
most mounted gps chartplotters have a map shift setting in the menu somewhere for moving the map left/right or up and down.
if you are at a nav point that does not move this lets you move the map or off set the gps so it show you in the correct place.

i have a navman northstar with this feature

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Chris, from memory, the Garmin 12 is quite an old unit..as remarked, see if you can check what chart datum the 12 is set to..it wants to be WGS84 to match the charts in the Lowrance. It maybe set to OSGB36 or Europe 50..
There is also a chance that its only seeing about 4 or 5 satellites and its just not as accurate as the lowrance was..
Regards Tony

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, that certainly makes sense and it is something i havent checked yet. Will try on monday when we are planning to get out. I will post my findings.
Thx again

Chris

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys i just wanted to say a big thank you for your replies. I got a call from my stepdad to say he changed the datum format on the handheld to WGS84 and it has resolved the problem. He is well chuffed and to pass on his thanks to you too;)
Saved him the cost of a new unit, he is over the moon lol.

Thanks again
Chris

G

·
Always remember ............ when you put GPS and map together in the same sentence............datums, datum, datums

The common datums you will find in our part of the world are , WGS84 (all Garmin users need to remember this), UTM, and OSGB ......... if you mix and match, then you could be up to 100m from where you think you are !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts