World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,
I was thinking of buying a GPS handheld device but wasn't sure if I should go for a phone with GPS or a GPS standalone device for fishing. Its a decent amount of investment, hence I thought of seeking a valuable suggestion from all of you.

1) What is the use of GPS in fishing( Please be detailed in how it can be useful)?
2) How effective it is to use GPS on phones in the fishing?
3) Which companies offer GPS on the phones?
4) Can we rent out the phones with GPS on it?
5) I have only heard of some standalone GPS devices from companies like Garmin, Magellan(usa). But I guess there must be some companies(in USA) which are offering GPS on the phones. Are you aware of any famous carriers/ wireless service providers which are offering GPS on the phone.

I am really sorry to bog you down with so many questions. But your Suggestions and insights and experience can help me out. Hence waiting for your valuabele comments.

Thanks,
GFL

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Welcome to the site, I think. :rolleyes:

The only GPS phone I know of is the Nokia 5140, you can get a cover with GPS as an accesory, I think.

I would have the same reservations as I have with the handheld sets, the screen is too small to be seen easily from a moving boat, and I would be concerned how they would cope with damp conditions and the resulting corrosion. The handheld sets tend to be hungry for batteries and compared to a fixed set they take some time to lock on to the sattellites to give you a position.

A fixed set is much better due to the size of the screen and the fact that they are made to be used in a marine environment. As an example Garmin 126 is a waterproof unit with integrated antenna, only needs a connection to 12 volts and has a decent screen size for about £200.

GPS is invaluble on a boat. It gives a positional accuracy of 5 yards so you can return to the same mark time after time. Traditional navigation in the best of conditions cannot hope to emulate this sort of accuracy. Look at the history of shipwrecks for confirmation, the position given by the ships navigator is normally miles from where the actual wreck lies.

If you are drift fishing the GPS allows you to repeat the same drift time after time, it is accurate enough to put you over the same spot time after time.

There is a major safety aspect to GPS, even if you were to become disorientated in fog you can glance at the screen and give an accurate position should you suffer an emergency. It should not be relied on to replace traditional navigation skills as the signal can be switched off or the set you use can fail, but while it is working it is the best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Motorola A1000 offers GPS, but you will need to buy the software to go with it and then build your own maps although if it's only positional information you require i.e. Lat and long to use with a chart then this prcess can be avoided.

On my A1000, I find it takes a long time to aquire the satelites but it does offer enhanced location finding, using the phone masts to augment the GPS.

Have a look at http://www.nhgps.com/

Oh and it's only available from 3 mobile :(

Regards
Russ :)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
GFL, Why would you want a GPS with a phone? or a phone with a GPS? if you are going to use it for fishing!
A stand alone hand held GPS, a stand alone hand held radio, & a mobile phone in case of dire emergency I can understand, a sounder with GPS I understand, but a mobile phone with GPS seems about as useful as an outboard motor with a spin dryer attachment!
Unlike ChrisP who has no faith in hand held GPS, in my 13 footer I dont have the luxury of the space for 12v batteries & fixed sets, but my hand held Garmin72GPS puts me "on the money" every time, this coupled with my hand held Star VHF, & my Humminbird Piranha2 sounder (my only concession to 12v), which is powered by a golf trolley battery about the size of tin of beans, are my armoury.
My mobile phone goes along to find out what time dinner is, & if in desperate need to report a problem, but I wouldn't contemplate using it as my only link to the shore, nor would I use it as a prime means of navigating or position fixing.
By the way I have partly solved the "battery hunger" that ChrisP pointed out, by buying an 8 pack of 2600ma rechargables from Oz, which last about 3 times as long as my originals, & fit in my pocket, on e-bay they were as cheap as chips.
GPS/ Mobile Phone, good combination for taking the car to Tesco, but not for taking the boat out!
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
i dont know how good you are at navagation but trust me a gps is must as i found out recently.
a couple of us went out on a fine day not far out we could see land next thing in came fog after a couple of turns we couldnt tell which way was home only for the gps plotting our journey on the way out i think we might still be out there or in a foreign country. :D
also if you find a good mark ie a hole,wreck,sand bank or some other feature you will have no problems finding it again.
i bought a combined gps echo sounder recently mainly due to price a lot cheeper than two units paid £200 for it.wouldnt be with out it now.i wouldnt go for a phone one simply because of reliabilty my phone goes wrong if i look at it funny. :)

S

·
0 Posts
phone/gps imagine youve told the missus youll be back at 430 from fishing its now 630 and the bass are biting,the phones ringing like mad you switch it off there goes your gps......gps phone no thanks ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts