World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Cheap and good quality, but I cringe at taking a laptop to sea.

Get a decent plotter and learn to use it effectively.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely, if you just spend a grand on latest and greatest, these lads are talking about something with windows 98 on it and nothing too spectacular at that, which I'm sure could be aquired for under a hundred pounds, you could aford to throw it away now and again at that price, a secure place on the boat could be more of a problem, possibly not so bad in a pilot house style.
Anyway just a thought.
TB

Cheap and good quality, but I cringe at taking a laptop to sea.

Get a decent plotter and learn to use it effectively.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point and I'm certainly not sure how much they can take, I drag one around the the rig, up and down the cranes occasionly, to work on the weight indicators and it gets used for various other tasks, and doesn't get nursed along so they are reasonably hardy, but not quite the sort of treatment it would get on a boat.
But I believe Norrie uses one, not sure if he has had any problems.
I'm at that age when everthing need to be that bit bigger and further away, you will soon enough know what I'm talking about.
Big Plotters and sounders are pretty expensive!
Rgds TB
...even if we can keep them dry, are laptops able to take the sort of pounding we get whilst on our boats?

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I run an old Toshiba lappy.. it cost me £50.00 with Windows 2000 on it (needs to be this minimum for the USB GPS to work) I connect a USB GPS module to it (£30.00 off Ebay)

The system works a treat, but then I do have a nice cab to sit it in :)

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
And Davy you never get out in any rough stuff.

Nice comfy sea loch with barely a ripple on it.....
Not quite a sea Loch, well Lochaline is but the Sound of Mull where I do most of my fishing aint :)

Though my post did show that you could do it on the cheep with an old lappy :) :)

But yes even in a Force 8 we don't see much more than a 4' wave however yesterday was probably as bad as I've seen it.. I stuck the bows out the entrance to the loch then turned right back round tis no fun going out when the whole area is one big white horse :(

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure I could knock up a nice shock proof mount out of some old bed iron, bicycle tyres, bungies, and tyraps!!!
We're very ingenuative [can't even spell it] up here.
Rgds TB

...even if we can keep them dry, are laptops able to take the sort of pounding we get whilst on our boats?

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's why I will be running DrDepth on my pocket PC - thought about a laptop but decided against it

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
But I believe Norrie uses one, not sure if he has had any problems.
I'm at that age when everthing need to be that bit bigger and further away, you will soon enough know what I'm talking about.
Big Plotters and sounders are pretty expensive!
Rgds TB

Hi Tony, I dont Use it as such, but Davy and I have both tried it, it does all the work a Plotter does, and as he says, it works very well. I dont want to take my laptop to sea all the time, mainly cos it cost me a bleedin fortune....and, because I have only got a cuddy...but, you can pick up one of those Panasonic Ruggedised laptops on Ebay for around £100, theres one on a buy it now, ..for £165...(a very good deal) which might be coming up to Scotland, if I can convince the wife I NEED it !!!! :kissing: and, at those sort of prices, even if they only last a couple of seasons...not a bad item to have !! :):)

If you have the wee module ,and Autoroute 2006, on the laptop, you can also use it as a Satnav in yer car !!! :):)

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi Tony, I dont Use it as such, but Davy and I have both tried it, it does all the work a Plotter does, and as he says, it works very well. I dont want to take my laptop to sea all the time, mainly cos it cost me a bleedin fortune....and, because I have only got a cuddy...but, you can pick up one of those Panasonic Ruggedised laptops on Ebay for around £100, theres one on a buy it now, ..for £165...(a very good deal) which might be coming up to Scotland, if I can convince the wife I NEED it !!!! :kissing: and, at those sort of prices, even if they only last a couple of seasons...not a bad item to have !! :):)

If you have the wee module ,and Autoroute 2006, on the laptop, you can also use it as a Satnav in yer car !!! :):)
One of those discontinued Toshiba Librettos might be an option for a boat computer. They are cheap on Ebay and only the size of a VHS cassette.
I had one for a while it was good but it would only run windows 98. Not sure if that would run your software?

·
Registered
457 Posts
The laptop to have is a PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK LAPTOP as used by BT engineers and the Gas Board engineers. the newer toughbooks like the CF-18's has a 10" screen and the CF-29 has a 13" screen and both have touchscreen's

both are good laptops some have got GSM modems , GPRS and Wifi build in as they use them at work.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
The laptop to have is a PANASONIC TOUGHBOOK LAPTOP as used by BT engineers and the Gas Board engineers. the newer toughbooks like the CF-18's has a 10" screen and the CF-29 has a 13" screen and both have touchscreen's

both are good laptops some have got GSM modems , GPRS and Wifi build in as they use them at work.

Hiya, We had the gas man in last week, he had one..I offered him £50 for it, cash too...the look on his face !!!! :crazy: He didnt sell me it ! :(
Seemingly they are around £5000 new !!!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hiya, We had the gas man in last week, he had one..I offered him £50 for it, cash too...the look on his face !!!! :crazy: He didnt sell me it ! :(
Norrie Old model IBM Toughbooks are on Ebay cheap enough. Still think the Libretto I mentioned because of the size is a possible option.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have on of those laptops Norrie, in a couple years they will be selling them to us for 50 quid :D

I think they are about a grand new......tough as old boots and splash proof.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
I have on of those laptops Norrie, in a couple years they will be selling them to us for 50 quid :D

I think they are about a grand new......tough as old boots and splash proof.
Hiya, I only got the RRP from the ads on Ebayand the gasman !! :)....this one says £3,700

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....tToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

and....

heres one for £100....would need a new OS tho'....

BTW, Want to sell yours ..will give you £75...CASH !!!!! :):)

·
Registered
457 Posts
With the toughbooks you can get 12v chargers for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts