World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Can anyone recommend an online site that allows you to find GPS marks?
For wrecks try www.wrecksite.eu For local marks you may find a local fishing guide site, the one on my sig covers Hampshire but not Channel Islands, sorry

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Most people do the shrood thing and look up their local Diver sites, ie channel island divers? I bet there are a few divers in that local.
Or purchase yourself a local dive site book...normally give away a few.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thanks, I know there is something out there as I have used a site before but it has gone missing from my favorites...
Bummer!!!:wallbash:

Take the admiralty chart route...or the Local divers site, should bring up a few, not teaching you to suck eggs but obviously you have punched it in your web browser and dabbled with search engines?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just realised that I have properly worded my question wrongly!

I want to enter some GPS numbers that I have been given to see where they are! I realise do can do this on my boat GPS but, wondered if there was a site I could use from my home computer?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

I want to enter some GPS numbers that I have been given to see where they are! I realise do can do this on my boat GPS but, wondered if there was a site I could use from my home computer?
:wallbash:DOH:wallbash: I think you properly did!!!LOL

No can't help with that, if you find it though I would be interested...lol

It happens to the Best!! Tight lines.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Google earth displays co-ordinates at the bottom of the screen. It is up to you to cross ref them with a chart

·
Registered
9,541 Posts

There is a great site called Google Maps. Put your co-ords in there and hey presto it shows you. You won't see any sea features but it will show you where the mark is.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Another option...

If you're more adventurous on a pc, or if you use a garmin chartplotter or gps.

I use a great program on my laptop called Garmin Homeport.

It is Garmin software to support Garmin charts, Bluecharts, Bluechart G2's, custom charts etc, but can also be used without pre-programmed charts at all, i.e. on the provided undetailed 'global' chart.

You can plot co-ordinates, find co-ordinates, pre-plan routes, review past gps tracking etc, annotate marks. And when used with a chart / bluechart (on an micro sd card) - you view contours, depths, marks, wrecks, banks etc.
I use it with Bluecharts and a handheld GPS and its brilliant.

For your purposes, in its very simplest form - i.e. without a bought chart and using only the global map provided with the software - the gps co-ordinates update at the bottom of the screen as you move your cursor over the map.
So... zoom in onto the Solent (for example) and move your cursor to find where your co-ordinates are.
Or type in your co-ordinate, and it will show on the map etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like you have to own a C-Card first
It's just a case of registering, then log-in and zoom in. I use it a lot to find co-ords for marks in my area. I haven't got a c-map or chartplotter. I just put the numbers in my hand held GPS. Excellent site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts