World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i got a Standard Horizon 1000c it's working ok,
But for when i'm at anchor the direction i'm facing is wrong,
I have it set to heading up when it's in use it never used to be like this have anybody come across this problem thanks in advance guys i'm sure sombody can help,

·
Registered
597 Posts
Take less lager and more lug aboard Nye, then you'll stop throwing the pick off the wrong end! (aint seen you for a bit, hows she going now shes like new again?) Dave

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take less lager and more lug aboard Nye, then you'll stop throwing the pick off the wrong end! (aint seen you for a bit, hows she going now shes like new again?) Dave
Thanks for that advice Dave (No Help lol)
Was out yesterday running back to normal now also had a nice one for the pot speak soon

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Have you got a heading sensor?
Unless you've got a heading sensor connected to the GPS, it won't know which way the boat is pointing when stationary, it will only know the Lat and Long of the GPS antenna/receiver. When moving it calculates the heading by the change of position.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you got a heading sensor?
Unless you've got a heading sensor connected to the GPS, it won't know which way the boat is pointing when stationary, it will only know the Lat and Long of the GPS antenna/receiver. When moving it calculates the heading by the change of position.
Hi Brian thanks for the reply,
I'm not 100% sure if it has one fitted but it always use to show the right direction before i noticed yesterday that it was showing the wrong way up i have my boat positiong shown as a arrow and that is showing it the wrong way,

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul you are right i put the wrong word in it should have read course up not heading up my mistake:doh:,
my boat has been layed up for a few weeks for an engine compleat recon rebuild but before then when at anchor it would show the direction i was facing so i dont understand what has gone wrong ????

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul i can understand most of what your saying but for some reason it did used to work to give you an example i fish in the bristol channel i leave the cardiff barrage and always go with the tide to a mark i have logged when i get there i always go passed it then turn against tide back on the mark then set the anchor out going tide land is always on my port well yesterday when i went back into the wheel house i noticed land was on my starboard side the boat arrow was upside down so thats why i asked the question,
i'm very greatful for everybody taking the time to post any and all info,

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Paul i can understand most of what your saying but for some reason it did used to work to give you an example i fish in the bristol channel i leave the cardiff barrage and always go with the tide to a mark i have logged when i get there i always go passed it then turn against tide back on the mark then set the anchor out going tide land is always on my port well yesterday when i went back into the wheel house i noticed land was on my starboard side the boat arrow was upside down so thats why i asked the question,
i'm very greatful for everybody taking the time to post any and all info,
The tide had turned, so the boat turned, the GPS would have no way of knowing this. If the tide moved the boat astern, the GPS would calaculate that as your course.

·
Registered
700 Posts
don't no if this will help you
i have a cpi300 i had a mess about with the settings when i first got the unit and mucked it up. i then had a sort of problem like you have. to fix it i had to change the settings so that my ship was always center?????????// i don't no if that was the real problem but i now can see were im anchored and when i swing with the tide it shows on the plotter. i also set my ship icon to the big black triangle so i no the point is bow and the flat is stern.
hope this helps
prolly wont but worth a try

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why don't I try pondfish?
The little boat on the chart will point in the direction you are travelling, it is not an indication of the orientation of your boat.
So let's say you are drifting west, the boat symbol will point in the direction you are going in i.e. west, whatever direction your boat is actually pointing in.
Chances are when you looked it was just a coincidence that your actual boat was pointing in the same direction you were travelling.

The issue with the chart on the plotter being orientated differently is possibly that you have changed the display from north up to course up. North up the chart will stay in the same orientation whatever direction you are travelling in (keeping north "up"), course up the chart will spin around as you steer to keep the chart displayed so that the direction you are travelling is "up" your chart.

I've confused myself now so I am going to lie down.

Gidds

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Paul & the rest of you guy's thank you for helping me with my dull moment it sounds logical on what your saying and i bow :notworthy to your wisdom paul,
I recon it must have been just pure luck when i was looking at the screen on other ocasions when it was pointing the right way,
But now i'm glad it is not a fault on the GPS just me having a numpty moment so guys thanks again for all your help,

Yes Ian it was not cheep but it could have cost a lot more if i put it into marine workshop,

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Have you changed the plotter setting to North up ?
That's what I would do, the screen will then stay constant whilst you're swinging at anchor, then just ignore which way the cursor is pointing and simply refer to the compass if you want to know your heading (can't say I'm particularly fussed about my heading whilst at anchor though).

It's a lot less confusing this way and a lot easier to see how the tide is swinging you. Also makes it a lot easier when you want to move to a different nearby mark - for moving small distances, it's surprising how accurate it can be to just look at the plotter, take a 'guesstimate' on the bearing to where you want to go and steer on the compass - saves any faff - you can simply look at the screen and go without presssing even one button.

If you were plotting a course on a paper chart, you wouldn't keep swinging it round as you would lose all sense of which way you're going - I find it's the same with an electronic chart when it's set to course up, especially if you're zoomed in - if I'm going south for instance, I would rather see the boat move from top to bottom on the
screen to keep a sense of where I'm going.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts