World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked a days holiday from work today and decided to go wet a line.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Went back out to Grain but rather than set up by my normal mark I tried some-where different.

Got there about 45 minutes before the water was in, found a place to park the motor and started my walk to the choosen mark.

I hadn't fished here before or even seen the place but had heard through friends that it does fish well at times. 15 minutes or so later I arrived and set up two rods, one with rag on a 1 up 1 down rig and the other with a 3 hook flapper.

I had the beach to my self so decided on my fist cast to try a cast OTG. This went well with the lead going straight and further then normal:clap:

I got the 2nd cast out using the OTG method, this one wasn't so god and went out to the extreme right, I though sod it a left it there.

Anyway, the rod with the lug gave a litlle rattle but went quite, I reeled in anyway thinking that crabs had stolen the bait to find a fair amount of weed covering a small schoolie, atleast another blank had been avoided:fish:

About an hour from High tide I had a good size silver eel (falling to lug) luckily for me it wriggled off the hook just as I got it on the beach, I was happy not to have to fight the beast to try and get it off the hook whilst getting covered in snot.

The fish conitued up until slack water, total was 5 schoolies nothing big enough to take home and the eel.

Nothing happened for the next hour. I then got a good bite, pulled the rod up to feel some weight, reeled in a saw a decent size fish come to the top of the water about 18 foot from the shore, with that it disapeared and managed to slip the hook, I was a bit gutted as it looked like a bass of around 1.5-2lbs (by what I good see):thumbdown

About two after H/W I then winkled out a small dab, my fisrst one since Jan/Feb a welcome return. I had used up my bait and started my walk back to the car.

All the fish were caught by casting between 30-100ish yards. It was a bit weedy but not a big problem. The sun was out, I had a day off work, the fish had taken the bait so a good day when all is said and done:sun::fish:

Lug seemed to do better than lug today, I normaly find rag does better for me but there you go. The bait I got today was good, big fat lug and very lively rag which I think helped.

Lee

·
LURE TOSSER
2,769 Posts
A nice report Lee, its always good when you can sit on the beach knowing all your workmates are slogging it out :clap:
shame you never landed the bigger bass but then theres always next time :fishing:

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
nice report lee, sometimes the fish are not feeding and just pick your bait and spit it out.
you seem to get more scent from lugworm

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice report lee good read! I should be going to grain now but iv got a private job to do instead  out 100% next week!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts