World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been a long time coming but my 2 weeks holiday in Gran Canaria is here - flying Saturday!!!!
Any tips guys - got my licence voucher in hand and my rod packed - gotta make up some rigs yet which will be a couple of float rigs and a couple of others

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

·
Registered
823 Posts
One of my favourite methods out there is the slow retrieve-sunken float. Get a cigar float that takes at least 1oz (30gms) to **** it and attach a string of 3 sabiki by swivel. Put the float at at the top of a separate trace between rubber beads: Use 50lb trace line to avoid tangles and don't worry, the rig will keep itself free of fouling on the bottom. Clip the lure trace below that. Put enough large split shot at the bottom end of the lure trace to just sink the whole lot and you'll feel when it hits bottom.
Then begin to retrieve very, very slowly (just enough to keep the line tight really, and jig the float slowly upwards about a foot or so now and again. You can feel bites instantly but don't reel in straight away, just tighten the line into the fish - allow a second or two for more fish to be attracted and hook themselves up; if that doesn't happen reel in your catch before it wriggles off.
I use bait on the sabiki hooks sometimes to increase the attraction (visual plus scent) and find that snipped-up, tinned Pulpo (octopus) works very well as do slivers of squid. After a while the bigger fish will be attracted to the commotion and you can then put bigger lures and baits on. Many different species can be attracted and it's not unusual to get up to a dozen very different types from boga to puffers to various breams.
I've even had needle gars.
Cast high and far and make sure everything goes out straight. Work from left to right in a fan until you find the fish or R-L depending on what wind and tide are doing.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my favourite methods out there is the slow retrieve-sunken float. Get a cigar float that takes at least 1oz (30gms) to **** it and attach a string of 3 sabiki by swivel. Put the float at at the top of a separate trace between rubber beads: Use 50lb trace line to avoid tangles and don't worry, the rig will keep itself free of fouling on the bottom. Clip the lure trace below that. Put enough large split shot at the bottom end of the lure trace to just sink the whole lot and you'll feel when it hits bottom.
Then begin to retrieve very, very slowly (just enough to keep the line tight really, and jig the float slowly upwards about a foot or so now and again. You can feel bites instantly but don't reel in straight away, just tighten the line into the fish - allow a second or two for more fish to be attracted and hook themselves up; if that doesn't happen reel in your catch before it wriggles off.
I use bait on the sabiki hooks sometimes to increase the attraction (visual plus scent) and find that snipped-up, tinned Pulpo (octopus) works very well as do slivers of squid. After a while the bigger fish will be attracted to the commotion and you can then put bigger lures and baits on. Many different species can be attracted and it's not unusual to get up to a dozen very different types from boga to puffers to various breams.
I've even had needle gars.
Cast high and far and make sure everything goes out straight. Work from left to right in a fan until you find the fish or R-L depending on what wind and tide are doing.
Great thanks for that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts