World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick note to those who don't know but Mark_S and i went down for a few hours flounder bashing by Grand Avenue in Worthing in an attempt to knock off a couple more species off my target list.

Since the weather has been a bit at odds on my last few attempts for flounders with gale force winds and plagues of dogs and whiting the idea was forwarded by those in the know in Worthing to have a few hours at Grand Avenue for flounders, so the day was spent collecting bait from all around the south coast with yellows from deal, gutted blacks from Dungie, whites and blow lug from worthing and shellfish and maddies (reds) from Shoreham as well as a couple of score of king rag i had left from the weekend so with a sore back and a strong determination to bag a flounder or two i headed round to Grand Avenue for a pretrip feature finding exercise and settled on a small gulley about 40- 50 yards out by the outflow pipe as a target, pretty pointless in the end as the seabed was paved with flounders and no matter where the baits landed they ended up with fish!

I set up and started fishing just before Mark_S arrived and i was immediately rewarded with bites at long range just twitching the baits back until i got decent takes. Second cast proved the first success of the trip with a plump little flounder of about 23cm or so, Mark set up to the right of me in the next groynes and was happily bagging flounders too. This then started a run of fish that did n't stop till slack water with numerous double shots of flounders and slugs and a small schoolie for me mixed in with the rest. Final tally on my behalf before calling it a day was ten or eleven founders, five slugs and a schoolie and numerous other missed bites because i was too busy chatting or tying on new hooks.

Both Mark_S and i picked up very early that all the fish wanted was king rag, most other baits seemed to take an age to get a fish but king rag was proving the undoing of two flounders a cast so on finishing my supply of kings the rest of the bait went back to whence it came and the drive home and a warm bed were the next things to look forward too!

It was good to see 1up, 1 down drop down and witness a few flounders and Sussex Shumacher confirming the now infamous prediction that he would have the first gar of the year from the pier which from what i read, true to form he has succeeded in doing!!!

still a beautiful still night and lots of fish, good company and another couple of species off the list proved to make for a very worthwhile couple of hours fishing!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
further to the above, sad i know, but after some wise words from Mark_S and a couple fo pictures of one of my slugs it does appear to be a shore rockling as opposed to a five bearded rockling as i first feared therefore making three species off the list!

bonus!:clap2:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Good report Andy. Only fished on for twenty minutes or so after you left. - still getting a fish a chuck. Just a pity most of the flounders were small.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very true, still its nice to be amongst the fish, it bodes well for future stocks when you have those sorts of numbers in shore!

its still scratching time until the summer kicks back in and then its back on the chase of the hounds and other summer species and maybe by "ray" curse maybe lifted for a year...!

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Good Report :clap3: Its odd why Grand Avenue always seems to produce better number of flounders even though they were smallish, than the pier and places like East Preston.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a pretty featureless expanse of beach really when you look at it but still with the worm beds and groynes offering food collecting sources there really is no reason for there not to be better quality fish... but then if i knew the answer i think i would be a wealthy man indeed!

congrats on the gars by the way, shows good knowledge and reading the conditions pays off, i can't think of anyone else with a gar on the species list for the year!:notworthy !

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
nice one mark s and co! living down grand avenue looks like ive got the fish under my nose! (funny how somtimes you cant see the wood for the trees)
looks like ill be giving it a good smashing before the dreded weed turns up!
have to get a session in mark as its on both our
doorsteps!
p,s shore rockling??????

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Andy, I think you will find the rockling you had was a five bearded variety. Some of the barbels on the nose are quite small. I say this as, in all my years of fishing Worthing, I have never seen anyone land a shore rockling. Sorry to disappoint you. Only two species to knock off you list! :)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
well a bit or artistic licence has gota help with the species list hasnt it!
perhaps we have cought loads and not relised they had an extra spot next to ther anal fin or somthing?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
point taken i will disect the next one to make sure! :crazy:Without getting too sad it would be interesting to know, as talking to people in the South East area that i've fished with time to time they told me that the ones caught round there are 100% shore rockling and i've had hundreds of those little slugs so perhaps the worthing ones are the five bearded variety and the ones you catch off Dover are the more common shore variety.... :blink:

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
point taken i will disect the next one to make sure! :crazy:Without getting too sad it would be interesting to know, as talking to people in the South East area that i've fished with time to time they told me that the ones caught round there are 100% shore rockling and i've had hundreds of those little slugs so perhaps the worthing ones are the five bearded variety and the ones you catch off Dover are the more common shore variety.... :blink:
I dont study rockling but know at places like Brighton marina etc you can get the bigger variety of rockling - upto about 35cm (1lb ish ) . In Worthing the biggest rockling I've seen weighed is no more than 7oz. Most are 2 to 3 oz fish. :unsure:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i still think the chop it and see approach might work! :uhuh:the slugs you get round at Hastings tend to be the three bearded variety after rough weather and are definately larger and the ones round at Worthing are definately a different species and the ones round at Dover...well who knows what they are!:headhurt: :sad:

just checked it again against a rather crap picture of a rockling on my tackle box i took round at Dover and it definately fits the description of a shore rockling to a "T" but i fully accept that DSD's comment on the slugs from brighton being five bearded slugs and probably a case of over enthusiastic mistaken slug ID, but fortuitous slug ID from Dover so i'm claiming it by default that i was too ignorant to recognise it before Mark_S pointed out the possibility!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts