World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this week off work and have fished every day from Tuesday through to today.

Tuesday fished the arm at Shoreham - perfect conditions but it was useless - just one gar on the float. Used mackerel, red rag, crab and lug.

Wednesday fished Worthing Pier - it was wet, it was windy and it was useless - just a couple of small flounders. Used crab, red rag, mackerel and lug.

Thursday fished at East Preston. Three eels, all small and one of which was truly miniscule. Used red rag, crab, mackie.

Today fished the beach at Grand Avenue, just down the road from home. Result - 14 flounders, six of which were over 25cm. Biggest only 31 cm but after a week of rubbish was very pleasing. All the fish came on red rag and all returned safely. Lots of claggy weed about till an hour after high tide then it vanished which coincided with when the flats came on the feed.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Today fished the beach at Grand Avenue, just down the road from home. Result - 14 flounders, six of which were over 25cm. Biggest only 31 cm but after a week of rubbish was very pleasing. All the fish came on red rag and all returned safely. Lots of claggy weed about till an hour after high tide then it vanished which coincided with when the flats came on the feed.
With that type of form you are the early favourite with the bookmakers for victory in the next Worthing match :secret:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've fished a couple of nights this week down the church of the good shepherd, Tuesday it looked Bassy but nothing on squid or mackerel, changed to peeler which resulted in an alright Hound guestimated between 5 or 6lb.

Last night I went back there and 15 mins after my first cast I had an absolute screaming run, it was on there for 30 secs to min but then the hook popped out:doh:, I was gutted as it was a good fish, surely a double. The blank was saved by a greedy little schoolie.

I'm going back there tonight for another go and must catch after missioning it through the brighton traffic to get some peelers!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've fished a couple of nights this week down the church of the good shepherd, Tuesday it looked Bassy but nothing on squid or mackerel, changed to peeler which resulted in an alright Hound guestimated between 5 or 6lb.

Last night I went back there and 15 mins after my first cast I had an absolute screaming run, it was on there for 30 secs to min but then the hook popped out:doh:, I was gutted as it was a good fish, surely a double. The blank was saved by a greedy little schoolie.

I'm going back there tonight for another go and must catch after missioning it through the brighton traffic to get some peelers!
Good luck tonight Bally. Not to my knowledge a previously renowned spot for hounds so well done on your fish on Tuesday!

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
more importantly when? Mr Schu, you couldnt be a good egg and post the fixtures up on the MEETINGS/MATCHES thread could you? I know we all got one, but it sat in my pocket of my floatation jacket. Nothing survives long in there.....

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've lost my fixture list too! I think the next one is on 11 June, venue to be decided?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I've lost my fixture list too! I think the next one is on 11 June, venue to be decided?

Damn!! Out tope (if they are still there) fishing. That means rushing back from Southsea for the match. Which in turn usually means I am an hour late. Which in turn means I dont win. Oh well, same result as when I am totally organised then.....!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Good luck tonight Bally. Not to my knowledge a previously renowned spot for hounds so well done on your fish on Tuesday!
I must admit I didn't expect one, I went there because the arm has been a bit hit and miss lately and fancied a change from the smell of rot, pi$$, *****e and the constant tangles with featherer's (there were even a couple of blokes feathering in the dark the other night, I didn't tell them they were wasting their time because the bird they were with added to the scenery!). They do get caught there as with pretty much any beach between here and the marina but I've not heard of many decent ones, maybe tonight!

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Next match is scheduled for Monday 11th June , 7pm to 11pm. If the weather is nice and if others want to Worthing could combine matches with the Shoreham Club who have a match at the same time ...... Its is catch and release on everything over 20cm, length to weight conversion, you get a bonus 20 points at the end for every different species you catch. These matches are normally held near the Good Shepard Church on Shoreham Beach - generally need only worm baits e.g red rag and lug and maybe crab indark.

If weather and winds are bad the match will be on the Pier. Only problem at the moment is the Organiser is fishing the World Club Championships in Belgium.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
A Shoreham match 3 weeks ago produced a few smoothounds .... EX Penn Sea League chump had four all around 3-4lb. Were smaller ones caught to amongst the hoardes of dogfish. Have seem some Hounds to 8lb caught here in matches but are not too common.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just harking back to my flounders today, I should add a big thumbs up for the DVice. Used it properly for the first time today and it was just the thing for delivering a bunch of red rag intact. Fished two rods, one a simple 2 hook flapping rig, the other set up with the DVice. The rod with the DVice outperformed the flapping rig by about two to one.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Well, I cant say too much, but, with the amount of fishing you do, you winning the fishathon was a carefully and cunningly planned strategy. Took us weeks to train the 42cm bass to find your pheromones....... The plan is, you lose the ten you won (ok, ok, I owe you five, stocks are rarer than the new south coast mod) by fishing the rocks at Goring a lot, and in super quick time, you become our best customer.......... We all breathed a huge sigh of relief when we heard Henry hadnt weighed or measured his hound........:)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funnily enough did lose DVice yoday when I cracked off as a result of the end cap falling off my 7HT! Didn't recover the end cap but did get the DVice back when the tide dropped off a little.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Fished Grand Avenue this afternoon for about 4 hours with DSD's brother Ali. Was blowing a strong north easterly and water was clear. Sea weed was quite bad at times with lots of that grassy stuff covering snoods and leader knots.

I ended up with 10 flounders, 2 schoolies and an eel. Ali ended up with 3 schoolies, 2 flounders and 2 eels.

Seems odd that on Worthing/Goring beaches its alive with flounders yet virtually none showing up on the pier... :g:

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe its just a question of finding out where they are on the pier. There should be plenty inshore of the no fishing bay...anyone tried in there?

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Well, I cant say too much, but, with the amount of fishing you do, you winning the fishathon was a carefully and cunningly planned strategy. Took us weeks to train the 42cm bass to find your pheromones....... The plan is, you lose the ten you won (ok, ok, I owe you five, stocks are rarer than the new south coast mod) by fishing the rocks at Goring a lot, and in super quick time, you become our best customer.......... We all breathed a huge sigh of relief when we heard Henry hadnt weighed or measured his hound........:)
Hey cheeky(!!) lol.......I realise that this post was entered before errr, Southbournegate, but cheeky nonetheless. By way of an update, the new mod will be featuring a bit more in the future.....watch this space (or forum).

Regards.

Andy. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts