World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just need some thoughts on this.

I have a couple of homemade grapnel anchors for rough ground work, should I add chain and risk it getting caught or just leave it attached to rope? :g:

In case others think I will be swapping over anchors I will be using a seperate archor rope so I will always have a sencond anchor ready if needed. :notworthy

Dave S
:)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I often use a homemade rebar anchor into wrecks, I have it on 6mm polyprop rope and expect to loose it. It lets me anchor directly over the wreck so my gear is fishing in the downtide scour of the wreck. I have the anchor tripped with a cable tie so it has a chanceof coming back but I attatch the rope to the head of the anchor with 4 cable ties and just pull for a beak with the engine when it is stuck.

G

·
Hi there
Would those cheap folding grapnels be ok for this if I used a bit of wire to make sure the flukes stay open. They seem quite cheap, £ 10 or so.
The problem with one of them is the flukes will not bend out of a bad snag as an anchor made of rebar would.
It could be dangerous trying to pull the anchor out using your engine and your only option would be to cut the rope. It would be worth setting the anchor to trip under heavy load but no guarantees that it would work.

G

·
Rebar is the rod used for concrete reinforcing. It comes in various sizes so what you use will depend on the size of your boat.
You can have 3 or 4 prongs. Mine are 4 prong with the top 6 inches welded together and then sleeved inside a short length of scaffold tube.
Unfortunately they are on the boat in the marina so I can not get a picture at the moment.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Thanks for that. Will try making some. I'm reluctant to anchor over rough ground because of the cost of replacing anchor and chain if they snag.
If you rig your anchor to trip if it snags, or you attach a buoy line to the crown of the anchor, you nearly always get your anchor back. It is worth fishing the rough areas because that is good fish-holding country.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, seems you don't use chain on these.

Shame I didn't take it today as I lost my anchor on Christchurch Ledge! :uhuh:

A club member said he would have a try to recover it but I suspect the chain got rapped around a rock as with all the effort put it, it should have tripped.

Oh well good job I have a spare.

Dave
:unsure:

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you rig your anchor to trip if it snags, or you attach a buoy line to the crown of the anchor, you nearly always get your anchor back. It is worth fishing the rough areas because that is good fish-holding country.
What type of anchor do you use to fish rough ground? I was thinking of trying a cheap folding grapnel. Tie the rope to the crown of the anchor with no chain. I cannot weld so probably would not make my own. Someone suggested making a anchor with concrete and tying a large bouy to the rope. Drop this on good rough ground and then you can keep going back to it to fish. Provided it's not too busy an area. Does this sound feasible ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.