World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Shane’s wife taking a new Saturday job, his fishing opportunities have been further limited, so we hit on the idea of some short after work sessions, the aim being to fish hard during the best part of the tide only, in the hope of getting something for tea. This Friday past at Gravesend a smallish high at 20:45 gave us the perfect window for a few hours fishing. We met on the 17.39 train from Charing Cross, alighted at Greenhithe and buzzed down to the Ship and Lobster.
We were on the Saltings just past the railings by 19.15, with baits hitting the water just as the whiting really start to feed. I decided to fish hard, three rods, three hooks clipped for a bit of ‘distance’ one, then flappers at varying distances on the others to find the fish. We were into treble and double shots straight from off, and by the time high tide and slack had passed, we both had a decent bucket full of good whiting (they are much bigger this season than last) for dinner.
I am not normally a fan of the ebb up there, but with it being a smaller tide I had remarked on the train down that we might have more chance of a codling if the whiting do stop feeding as the tide recedes…. The whiting did not stop feeding, and by the time I’d packed up all but one rod about an hour down, I had 16 whiting for the table, yum yum.
I went to retrieve my last rod, which I’d not been watching, and noticed it was slighty heavier than usual. I presumed I’d picked up Shane’s last rod as well, as I had done the cast previously, but when it became apparent I hadn’t, things got exciting. The fish didn’t put up much of fight, maybe took me a little up tide, but after some trashing in weeds, I soon had this little fella on the beach (mud and rocks).

2.6lb of Thames codling, and my first from the stretch for over three years. A fat little fella, who coughed up a whole load of shrimps after receiving his last rights, and when gutted had a flounder, crabs and shrimp in his belly. Great way to finish what was a most enjoyable session, and I’ll definitely be back for more next week.
Now this is how I like to see whiting and codling :)

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed Steve, i'm thinking a walk might be due, but there are big tides next weekend, 6.8 on Saturday and 6.5 on Sunday, so will be difficult hold and avoid being dragged into the snags up there. The big tides in turn wash alot of crap off the foreshore into the river (anyone who knows Gravesend knows there is alot of crap on the foreshore), which causes further headaches. In comparison the tide was 5.7 on Friday, and the river didn't even come onto the marshes.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
lovely codling:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Agreed Steve, i'm thinking a walk might be due, but there are big tides next weekend, 6.8 on Saturday and 6.5 on Sunday, so will be difficult hold and avoid being dragged into the snags up there. The big tides in turn wash alot of crap off the foreshore into the river (anyone who knows Gravesend knows there is alot of crap on the foreshore), which causes further headaches. In comparison the tide was 5.7 on Friday, and the river didn't even come onto the marshes.
Cheers for that greg i had not checked the tide and i know what you mean about high tides up by the post.
Looks like thamesmead at low water

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Super report by Super Greg! A well deserved cod, I am still after my first one! Sometimes short sessions without a lot of planning are the ones that bring us more joy since expectations are usually not very high. That's what I think at least. I would be over the moon with a codling as fat and as beautiful as that. Congrats mate and good luck on your next trips. I am going to be boring and head to Dungeness tomorrow. ;)

Cheers,
Luis

·
Registered
336 Posts
Super report by Super Greg! A well deserved cod, I am still after my first one! Sometimes short sessions without a lot of planning are the ones that bring us more joy since expectations are usually not very high. That's what I think at least. I would be over the moon with a codling as fat and as beautiful as that. Congrats mate and good luck on your next trips. I am going to be boring and head to Dungeness tomorrow. ;)

Cheers,
Luis
YOU NEED SPRATS M8 COD LOVE EM !!!!!:wiggle::wiggle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts