World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to explore fishing possibilities. Met a local at far east end of water front . He said there was good beach fishing with three small piers as well. 4lb bass caught saturday and two good sole (He says!!!) Nice waterside pub where you can park - follow route of disused canal.
Can anyone give more info about fishing this area?

·
Registered
75 Posts
was the pub called the ship and lobster? or the three daws? I've found the fishing is better a mile or two eastwards down the river than in the town centre, had some nice size flounder and sole over the bank holiday weekend on rag. There's also a tackle shop in gravesend where you can pick up lug and rag, dolphin angling centre i believe its called. Always a chance of a good bass in the area too, biggest i've seen was 13lb!!

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sumo thanks for the extra info. The pub called the Ship and Lobster. We didnt go in but it looked good. Can you fish there at all states of the tide? I expect the foreshore is soft mud and that boots are needed. Is that so?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah the mud is deep though and i tend to fish further down on the grass banks where you can get away with normal walking boots. I usually fish it about 3hrs before high onwards. If you walk down the river away from the pub you'll come across a long, high conveyor belt that puts sand onto ships. underneath it is a hot water (or maybe effluent) out flow, this is often a good spot for the bass. beyond that there's a smaller pier with a lifeboat on the end, either side of that usually fishes well. 1 hour before high is usually the most productive time as the tide surges.
Roughly 2 miles eastwards down the river you have shorne meade fort which is a superb venue and probably the better place for sole.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great! Ive now had 8 trips to Newhaven, Shoreham and places between without a bite. The longest bad run I have ever had! It will be good to try somewhere new. Njoy your fishing Thanks again

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you your struggling for bites you'll be ok here, i've fished there 8 times in the last few months and haven't blanked once ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts