World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after next to no reports from Gray's of late i thought i'd have a crack at it to test out a few new ideas i had

i got down early and dug a few extra maddies to top up the ones i had left over from a rather disappointing session yesterday at brighton

setting up at low water with the tide some 40 or so yards from the wall i decided i would set up with a difference, this involved a usual sole rig of wire booms and size 4 fine wire hooks. I loaded each with between 2 and four maddies however using adjustable tags on the side of my rod rest i fished the rods over the wall as if tip ledgering in coarse fishing, watching the tips sideways and as low to the water as i could get them to the water

first cast i decided i would throw one bait out as far as possible in the main tide flow and the other would be fished as close in as was humanely possible, to start with this meant literally three yards into the water and i was pleasantly surprised when each rod threw up bites with the close in rod bringing a couple of schoolies and the far out rod a couple of small flounders

next cast close in produced another small schoolie before the next cast produced a drop back and a cracking little bass just over 3lb, the plan seemed clear from now on and i fished baits as close in as i could get them and the bass kept on coming with a total of nine landed and two lost as well as three small flounders, three of the bass weighing between just over 3lb and 2lb

all around me people blanked and the experiment had definately worked allbeit that the original plan was a sole session i just got pleasantly sidetracked bagging bass from the thames. the only bait to have appeared to be maddies as no one else had a bite...but then everyone else was hammering baits out....

all in all a pleasant day fishing the thames and a few nice bass for dinner!

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Well done, I was advised not to bother fishing the wharf ( I presume that is where you fished) as it wasn't producing, and doesn't fish well in July.

·
Team Essex
1,055 Posts
strange enough i guessed it was you andy when a few of the local lads told me that a fella from far away had just had a good session on the bass .the sole again this year are very hit and miss but this nice hot spell should see them come back on the feed down there.
Ps jason whoever told you the wharf wasnt fishing well was telling porkies so they could have all the 1 1/2 to 2llb sole to themselfs:nono:

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
strange enough i guessed it was you andy when a few of the local lads told me that a fella from far away had just had a good session on the bass .the sole again this year are very hit and miss but this nice hot spell should see them come back on the feed down there.
Ps jason whoever told you the wharf wasnt fishing well was telling porkies so they could have all the 1 1/2 to 2llb sole to themselfs:nono:
Whoever told me that Grays isn't fishing will have to find their own way to Widewater. :laugh:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the fish are certainly there although i think maddies did make rather a difference to the catch returns! i was going to PM you Thames to see what was going on down there before i went but i never got to a computer in time so took a gamble to see what was around!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts