World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
hook lengths that are probably long enough
How long a hook length are you using FM and what line?

Mine are around 4 or 5ft hook length using 40lb Amnesia up and over rig and rarely get any unplanned knots, but I use only the bog standard setup, with as few components as I can get away with.
Stop (twice though a 10mm length of Chloroprene tubing) is slid down to tighten up for casting, although I leave around 6 inches free between stop and lead link to allow swivel a bit of movement. Boring and predictable admittedly, but don't fix what ain't broke :)
Screenshot from 2019-05-09 02-59-57.png

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am fishing for sharp eyed little fish in clean waters. The reason for trying this rig again was to present a small bait in a stealthy manner. I tied the rig with a three foot long hook length of 15 lb flouro fishing line. Fouling was the reason I gave up on the design before, but after this thread I thought I would try it again. It just doesn’t do what I want it to do.

The Up and Over is another design that fouled on me when I experimented with it. I think it’s worth another visit. I’ll make one up and test it on my next trip.

I make a distance rig that is a simple Paternoster style and uses two foot long lengths of this same line and it does fine with it. It casts really well, and catches its share of fish, and doesn’t have a fouling issue. If conditions are bad though it does foul some, and that’s when I use shorter hook lengths. I could possibly try a three foot hook length and see if it’s the length or how it is attached.

The knotting is usually an overhand knot. Have no clue how or when this forms. Seems like the bait would have to twirl around the main rig body, then pass itself through that loop. This occurs fairly early on, because I was using a soft bait and checked it sooner than I normally do. I figured it would stay in position during flight, then when the sinker is dragging it down to the sea floor, remain high above the main rig body, and then settle in left or right according to the direction of the current. I’m thinking if the current is light, it can circle back around and wrap. However, it doesn’t wrap multiple times, like I would think.

Anyways, thanks Mr Locker for the encouragement to retry this design. You have good content, but your accent presents a real challenge sometimes. LOL

·
Registered
309 Posts
This occurs fairly early on
I seldom use lines as light as you, nor fluro and thus am no expert on the subject, but it sounds as though your hook length is coming unclipped mid cast and spinning around either the rig body or itself, which wouldn’t happen if your steering wheel was on the correct side of the car :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I rarely use pulley rigs as I much prefer up n overs so i may be talking total B---ox but if using a lighter hook length could you not incorporate another swivel on the hooklength using a six inch length of 22lb powergum to join to the original hooklength swivel to act as a bungee and stretch instead of the hooklength during the initial casting load?
The freshwater guys use this on feeders rigs some times.
Pete
That sounds interesting. Complicated but interesting.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi was on Rig sketcher website thingy which they have changed now so add componenets on from a list the resize/move/turn/alter!
Tried to delete some bits on it and name etc then wanted me to log in/make account as lost what i had done!
So need to confirm email address! then can do it.
Sounds like a bit of a faff on to me. What ever happened to a pen and paper? Haha.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Hi see if this works? http://rigsketcher.fishingreviews.co.uk/rig-sketcher/184

you can make the bodies up and keep a few in wallet then tie hook link as need when fishing with ends to your desires? as it is adjustable with the sliding crimp which holds bead/swivel down to tension srt spring and clip when ready to cast.
so if lose hook/s with snippy snippy crabs! just tie on them adjust crimp to suit and back in bizz again.
The bottom crimp you just set to where want rig to sit when released so can be at bottom or higher as once lines released from srt clip swivel drops down.
You can use any type of end set you like be it single hook,pennel,wishbone etc.
you can tie mainline to gemini/imp/clip/impacts etc but i use a clip then can choose what ever you either splashdown/Gemini lead/Breakaway.
Hook link can be any bs line you like even heavier to swivel then lighter to hook?
Can use it for any fishing you like so can fish big baits as long as can get hook in clip etc plus can tension it a bit more if using big bait like squid.
Ive cast it with 8black lug ok pennel hooked.

Mine are often 4ft main body but dropped on some to 2-3ft but your choice as you can double hook link length so say 4ft can be nearly an 8ft hook link!

Set up is (top swivel? crimp-bead-SRT clip-bead-SRt spring-crimp)then lower (sliding crimp/stop knots/whatever you like-bead-swivel-bead) then lower (crimp-end link-hook clip)

ive a few other derivatives of this ive made so has a second hook that fishes higher.
I also make another one which is just a dropper using another method to hold hook line up which works well also.
Hi TM, Is that the Gemini Genie STR Clip?.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi was on Rig sketcher website thingy which they have changed now so add componenets on from a list the resize/move/turn/alter!
Tried to delete some bits on it and name etc then wanted me to log in/make account as lost what i had done!
So need to confirm email address! then can do it.
Old thread I know Tourno but someone mentioned that Rig Sketcher page to me yesterday so I thought I would give it a go. Like you, I spent a while drawing out a new rig, tried to save it, and the page went blank. Thought it may because I needed to register on FishingReviews.co.uk, so entered all the info to vreate an account, hit register, and, yep, blank page again. 4 times I tried - failed. I've emailed the guy behind the website but no reply. Any similar apps or software you know of?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi no i just use one on my phone/tablet things Samsung notes so have the pen! but don't really use them either.Did get that site working read through it think have to confirm email via your account?
Yea, I thought that was probably the case, but when I tried to create an account, as I said, it just went to a blank page every time. I was expecting it to come up with a message like "You will be sent an email. Click the link in the email to confirm your account". Perhaps matey that runs the website might get back to me eventually!

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
It certainly was working, maybe it needs updating or the update on the windows, mac is not compatible now, or some other problems?. There are apps you can pay for, U-Make 3d etc not sure if that is what you are looking for. Either that put your rig up, give it a name, let us see what you made up, members will let know if it works.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It certainly was working, maybe it needs updating or the update on the windows, mac is not compatible now, or some other problems?. There are apps you can pay for, U-Make 3d etc not sure if that is what you are looking for. Either that put your rig up, give it a name, let us see what you made up, members will let know if it works.
If I could get it drawn up, I was trying to pluck up the courage to put it on WSF! :D:D What I did think was I could carefully draw it out on Rig Sketcher, and then do a screen shot before it disappears into the depths of the Hinterweb! I''ll have another go when I can escape SWMBO - gotta go put my tall white hat on & cook her some tea! Thanks Colin! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Right, sorry for the delay. Laugh all you like, but here it is! My so called Cork rig. I guess (in my dreams) I was trying to create some sort of 'helicopter' rig with long snoods that wouldn't tangle. I'm thick skinned - make of it what you will! :D :D
No doubt there are other/better ways of doing similar, but I wanted to keep components to a minimum, and a bag full of old wine corks was winking at me!

I got over the problem with not being able to log in and save stuff on Rig Sketcher by taking a screenshot of the basic rig in Firefox. I then found Inkscape - an excellent free bit of software, to add the text, arrows, and the magic Cork!

Fishing_cork_rig2.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not a fan of having strain put upon the hook length while casting, prefer an up and over rig clipped into a 'splashdown', or similar.
I agree, i can't for the life of me see why people use pully rigs over clean ground? I also prefer the up and over, i have started using those Hangovers, and because i cast off clean sand i have always used an off the ground style cast, i use Roto or the Gemini clips that hold the hook even if the tension goes a bit before the cast.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I cannot remember who put up the post, but some time ago, there was a long running "argument" on here as to the strain put on hooklengths on pulley rigs when casting..dependent upon how it was tied..

Some posters went to great lengths to use scientific methods to prove the hooklength suffered no greater strain than the main rig body, some went to equal lengths to prove that it was dangerous to use a lighter hooklength. At the end of it all, pages worth if I remember, nobody came out on top.

For myself I was /am in the camp that would only use a hook length the same strain as the main body, that being the same or greater strength as that of the shock leader.
The next rainy day, I'll put a pulley rig on my test bed and see what happens :geek:.

I am predicting:
That the 'load' will be shared by the rig body and hooklength, with the rig body taking most of the 'load', at least 90%.
The hook length will stretch to no more than the rig body stretches, providing the pulley bead is adjacent to the stopper.
The hook will be the weak link, which eliminates the risk of hook length failure during the cast.

I use 60lb hook lengths and 80lb rig bodies for my pulleys. Rays, hounds and doggies do hook lengths no favours.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
With a 60lb hook length I do not forsee any problems in any case.

After all, the accepted strength for a leader is x 10 the sinker weight, usually an angler is unlikley to exceed 6 oz sinker in normal use, or 60 /80lb bs leader. In your case is the hook length BS is also 60lb, ergo.... no problem .

There are always knots and swivels to take into account . I think it is really academic what BS you use on a snood /main trace line on a pulley rig, so long as it exceeds the x10 formula.
As such I would not lose any sleep over it,but your test bed may well help to satify the question, at least to your satisfaction hopefully.

Dave

21 - 39 of 39 Posts