World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of the Hamble before 8am to get the first of the flood tide to push us east. Was a bit of a chop and swell in the Solent but flat calm once past Bembridge.

Two mackerel at the forts wasn’t an encouraging start. Tried some inshore wrecks without success.

So out to a favoured spot of rough ground about 10 miles off. Bingo. Plenty of bass. These were obviously being predated by a massive Thresher shark which breached the water about 200 metres from the boat. We’ve seen threshers in the same place before. So over went the shark gear and chum. Latter stank but made a great slick. Felt a bit sorry for one bass which clearly escaped the shark once and then ended being used as bait by me. Alas the shark didn’t take our bass and mackerel offerings.

A strong F4 came up as forecast mid afternoon and the wind over tide wasn’t ideal, so we came in and anchored in the lee of the island and got straight into lots of different fish. Still had a near 2 metre swell to deal with but the catamarans thrive in these conditions. Massive waves come at the transom and you instinctively brace for the impact but the hull just floats up and the wave passes with no drama whatsoever. I’m always amazed.

Ended up with mackerel, bass, bream, hound, conger, dog. Interestingly no pout showed up but that may have been the masses of small bream getting to the bait first.

Alas the ice cream boat looked like he’d sold out when we passed up heading into port!

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looks like a great day and some nice fish.
I was going to go out Saturday but plans fell through but heading out tomorrow.
there are two ice cream boats on the Hamble now and no shortage of punters with all the paddle boarders and kayakers

·
Global Moderator
2,673 Posts
Sounds like a Fab day out with some decent fish to boot Paul. A nice mixed bag.
Its how cats behave that make me go green gilled. Youl always be amazed of them and il always be needing a bucket!

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Nice one Paul and yes your Cat is well suited to the choppy conditions, you caught a few more species than me

I was out on Sat as well and it started ok when we caught around 10 macky close to 'No Mans Land Fort' before heading off to my mark about 3 miles off Culver that I've seen Valkyrie 8 fish a few times, but as we headed further South and lost the Islands protection it started to chop up even though the forecast was for a SW3, but as Paul has already said, wind over tide didn't help, I had a few small Smuts on Whole squid, but it was effectively a Dog fest which wasn't worth being thrown about for, so was going to head for Bembridge, but the water temp light came on and and when I checked the header tank it was empty, which is a problem I've had for a while now, but I can't see any water escaping when the engine is running and it's only losing water under pressure as when the engine is not running it loses no water, so I will need to have it looked at by a marine mechanic.

I filled the header tank with almost 3 litres of water and headed for home some 12 miles away and the temp light came on again as I was entering the harbour, it was a relief being so close to my mooring when the temp light came on.

·
Global Moderator
2,673 Posts
Nice one Paul and yes your Cat is well suited to the choppy conditions, you caught a few more species than me

I was out on Sat as well and it started ok when we caught around 10 macky close to 'No Mans Land Fort' before heading off to my mark about 3 miles off Culver that I've seen Valkyrie 8 fish a few times, but as we headed further South and lost the Islands protection it started to chop up even though the forecast was for a SW3, but as Paul has already said, wind over tide didn't help, I had a few small Smuts on Whole squid, but it was effectively a Dog fest which was worth being thrown about for, so was going to head for Bembridge, but the water temp light came on and and when I checked the header tank it was empty, which is a problem I've had for a while now, but I can't see any water escaping when the engine is running and it's only losing water under pressure as when the engine is not running it loses no water, so I will need to have it looked at by a marine mechanic.

I filled the header tank with almost 3 litres of water and headed for home some 12 miles away and the temp light came on again as I was entering the harbour, it was a relief being so close to my mooring when the temp light came on.
Steve, have you checked your oil recently 😬

Reactions: Norm B

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Steve, have you checked your oil recently 😬
The oil is fine Jude, but it's not the head gasket as the engine runs sweet as a nut and starts on the button, if was a head gasket the engine would be never be so smooth or powerful and to use 3 litres in 12 miles you would definitely know something was wrong with the engine.

I'm sure a marine mechanic will find the fault.

·
Global Moderator
2,673 Posts
The oil is fine Jude, but it's not the head gasket as the engine runs sweet as a nut and starts on the button, if was a head gasket the engine would be never be so smooth or powerful and to use 3 litres in 12 miles you would definitely know something was wrong with the engine.

Good to hear Steve. Ive had heads go and the only symptom was milky oil.
If youve not got a leak youve possibly got a leak between sea and fresh cooling and coolant is leaking out under pressure.
As you say a ME will sort it- best of luck and hope its a simple, cheap fix🤞

Reactions: Norm B

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jude - you’re always welcome on a day out to check your theory. I’ve only seen sickness on my boat due to hangovers and one landlubber dad who came out with his son who is a mate of my boy. The swell off the Needles turned him green but the boys were bagging up on mackerel, bream and bass. I asked Kian (son) if he wanted to go in as his dad was in the cabin feeling sick. The lad said no, his stomach must be empty by now!

Steve - you had a red letter day in the tope last time out. Sorry it wasn’t so smooth this time. Hopefully it won’t be a costly fix.

·
Global Moderator
2,673 Posts
Thanks Jude - you’re always welcome on a day out to check your theory. I’ve only seen sickness on my boat due to hangovers and one landlubber dad who came out with his son who is a mate of my boy. The swell off the Needles turned him green but the boys were bagging up on mackerel, bream and bass. I asked Kian (son) if he wanted to go in as his dad was in the cabin feeling sick. The lad said no, his stomach must be empty by now!

Steve - you had a red letter day in the tope last time out. Sorry it wasn’t so smooth this time. Hopefully it won’t be a costly fix.
Paul, thats very generous and i may take you up on that later in the year- ive been seasick on every single cat ive been on, be that ferry, survey or recreational cat from flat calm to very rough. Guess Im too used to being tossed around like a ragdoll on round bottomed boat!
Dangerous game though. If im not sick il have to sell the house to buy a cheetah! 🤔

Reactions: paullynam

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Paul, thats very generous and i may take you up on that later in the year- ive been seasick on every single cat ive been on, be that ferry, survey or recreational cat from flat calm to very rough. Guess Im too used to being tossed around like a ragdoll on round bottomed boat!
Dangerous game though. If im not sick il have to sell the house to buy a cheetah! 🤔
Jude, you won't be sick on Paul's boat it's very smooth, unless he takes you round the shingles bank on a bad day, but Paul's not like that and if you are sick then I can only assume you are sick in the bath

·
Registered
11,758 Posts

The mark I fished the other weekend usually produces quite a lot of fish, although it was the first time I've fished it this year, I just need a decent forecast to do the 15 miles, but looks like I won't be fishing any where until my boat is fixed, time to get out the beach gear again.

·
Global Moderator
2,673 Posts
Jude, you won't be sick on Paul's boat it's very smooth, unless he takes you round the shingles bank on a bad day, but Paul's not like that and if you are sick then I can only assume you are sick in the bath
If I stood on my cat in the bath I think I would be sick Steve 🤣

I went right jelly legged on valykrie one trip- which is a BW seacat if im not mistaken.
And one of the ones they had before that which is now a research vessel. 🤷‍♀️
Im not physically sick on every one, but certainly feel everything bar painting the sides of the boat. Its the way they move on the water i think.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That was an excellent day out Paul. Thresher chomping the bass, exciting to watch - they seem to be up your way more, it tends to be the porgies off Portland plus the odd big mackerel.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sounds like a Fab day out with some decent fish to boot Paul. A nice mixed bag.
Its how cats behave that make me go green gilled. Youl always be amazed of them and il always be needing a bucket!
On the first couple of anchored trips in the cat I had that well known queasy feeling, but eventually got use to the different motion after many years of mono hulls. Not a problem drifting or under way.

·
Registered
21,142 Posts

;) Have you tried Radweld?;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts