World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you all laugh!! the local chap who i get me calamari off has asked me to bring him some to cook(thats if i catch any) as he has a chinese food warehouse,i have to bow to his knoledge,he recons they are a real treat to eat,so my question is HAS any off us eaten this fish and if so HOW DO YOU COOK IT???? thanks

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
yes, they are meant to be very good eating. i have never caught one, bloody stood on one though!! lol

worth a try!!

Jamie

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Chop off head from behind dorsal to base of gill-covers and barby wrapped in foil with butter - that's all you need! Delicious!

Use a good pair of barbecue tongs to grip the weever while you clonk it on the head, you use your artery forceps to unhook it and you use a very sharp knife to cut away the nasty part! The spines are still toxic when it's dead!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
clean, gut, top,tail - place on hardwood block - in a baking tray - pour over a good bottle of malt - throw fish away :yucky: and drink gravy!:)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
sounds like a plan mate!

jammie you have never said you have steped on a weaver before?
was it double figure/ did you loose it in the surf? was it pregnant
and ar you sure it wasnt a sea trout?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i think jamie means a lesser weaver, feel free to correct though mate

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
greater weever is a much bigger fish, and delicious too, there was a photo on here six months back of a big one caught down south.

·
Registered
142 Posts
sounds like a plan mate!

jammie you have never said you have steped on a weaver before?
was it double figure/ did you loose it in the surf? was it pregnant
and ar you sure it wasnt a sea trout?
:roll1:

the famous sea trout, lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
weaver is one of the main fish the frenchies put in bouillabaise
:thumbs:

Was just about to say that myself. Bouillabaise is a fish stew to us ignorant Brits. I think Keith Floyds recipe is the best, but couldn't find a link to it. Grab yourself a copy of 'Floyd on Fish' for a good 'no nonsense cookbook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
there is also a dish in spain and portugal called zarzuela, it like a rich, tomato based fish stew, with monkfish, prawns, clams, and lots of garlic.
they eat it by dunking great chunks of crusty bread into the pot, and spooning out the fishy bits as the level drops its gorgeous!!
cheers dave.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts