World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across these when searching the internet for suppliers of rag. Does anyone know whether they're any good?

John

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Absolutely useless. Tried once & never again. Once rehydrated,which isnt very quick, they are just like a skin. If that was the only bait i could get i just wouldnt bother. I think Lazy Lug are bad enough but better than this stuff.

I came across these when searching the internet for suppliers of rag. Does anyone know whether they're any good?

John

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
in your area you should always be able to get fresh bait or keep a few wraps of frozen blacks in the freezer for last minute sessions.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Tried those freeze dried rag a few times when I was catching fish on other baits. Only fish caught on it was one tiny Father Lasher.

On Loch Etive one day I was using a three hook trace to catch whiting. Fish bait and mussels caught fish - not a touch on the freeze dried rag.

Had a go for pollack on one trip. I caught pollack on live rag, fish strip and lures. The freeze dried rag remained fishless.

Cannot really understand it. I have caught fish on my own frozen rag in the past - often with newspaper still stuck to it.

Why the commercial stuff fails for me is a mystery - perhaps there is someting added to it to help preservation?
Anyone know?

15,082 Posts
They may need some Flavour concentrate added to them....We sell them but I think they catch more anglers than fish!
We stock them because a few anglers dont and WONT touch worms and ask for stuff like this!

·
Registered
181 Posts
They may need some Flavour concentrate added to them....We sell them but I think they catch more anglers than fish!
We stock them because a few anglers dont and WONT touch worms and ask for stuff like this!
We sell them for the occasional angler that wants something to use when he decides to go fishing and to have something in his box/bag.
Dont forget some of you and what you overlook is the tourist angler, from a shop point of view.
Wether it fishes or not, isnt always the question, I have been amazed at what some baits do catch fish.
Its often the case that they just want to go onto the bank or beach.
Also dont forget that however bad or good a bait is, it can always catch fish in different areas.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
I tried something like this before, the rag sucked, also i got salted dried mackerel, it smelt like plastic, needless to say we never caught anything :doh:

·
Registered
673 Posts
I thought they seemed too good to be of any use! Thanks for your replies.

John
forget about frozen ones ,,just salt down any fresh ones you have left over from fishing trips.Only salt down good worm,when salted and tough and like leather store in newspaper,they keep for ages.Been having a lot of success with salted rag on bristol channel ,almost and i do really mean almost as good as fresh.
Dave

·
Registered
214 Posts
theyre an absolute rip off £3 i paid for them and £3 down the drain

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
We sell them for the occasional angler that wants something to use when he decides to go fishing and to have something in his box/bag.
Dont forget some of you and what you overlook is the tourist angler, from a shop point of view.
Wether it fishes or not, isnt always the question, I have been amazed at what some baits do catch fish.
Its often the case that they just want to go onto the bank or beach.
Also dont forget that however bad or good a bait is, it can always catch fish in different areas.
it annoys the life out of me when i see a tourist/occasional angler that has been sold something that is going to be totally useless, especially bait.

they went to the shop putting there trust in the assistant/owner who they thought would sell them what they needed to actually catch a fish, not just rip them off with somehing they wanted rid of.

all tackle shops have ...sandeel, mackerel or squid in there freezers.

these baits are cheap and will at least give the angler a chance of any species.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts