World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a regular angler who never gets tired of catching flatties,....
Id like to ask what your thoughts are on the best way of unhooking these
greedy fish..... I always try not to handle and mess them about to much,...
Lip hooked fish are obviously easy to deal with but the deep hooked ones are
the problem....
I usually try to cut the line close to the hook ( 2/0 Blue Aberdeen )... But have
been told by some im wasting my time, The amount of times ive seen people
just pull the hooks free then chuck them back makes me think surely this has
to be the better way ??? .... Obviously some fish are beyond saving when
landed by the amount of blood, these few are the ones taken... ( I return most
of the fish i catch ).... ALSO whats the most humane way to deal with these
fish.
Just one more point ive noticed quite a few flatties recently with ulcerious sores
on their underside, ... Anybody else notice this ??? Appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a 5/0 hook still get flattys on them but don't take you hook as deep. if the hook is deep I look under the gills if you can see the hook pull it back and cut the line and the pull the line out the mouth no harm done.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The way i disgorge the hook is push a piece of stick(10mm dia aprox) down into fishes gut through the mouth then spin the fish this displaces the hook and it comes out .......Sound suprising but there is no harm or blood from the fish and it can be released to swim of intact use this method all the time ...........Could'nt believe it myself when i was 1st told about it and shown how to do it and have never injured a fish since (only seem's to work on flatties Flounder..Dabs etc).....I thought it was mad at 1st till i tried it.........Was told about it by a member on another forum and he showed me how a few month's ago.
Best method i know (CRAZY BUT GOOD).

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The way i disgorge the hook is push a piece of stick(10mm dia aprox) down into fishes gut through the mouth then spin the fish this displaces the hook and it comes out .......Sound suprising but there is no harm or blood from the fish and it can be released to swim of intact use this method all the time ...........Could'nt believe it myself when i was 1st told about it and shown how to do it and have never injured a fish since (only seem's to work on flatties Flounder..Dabs etc).....I thought it was mad at 1st till i tried it.........Was told about it by a member on another forum and he showed me how a few month's ago.
Best method i know (CRAZY BUT GOOD).
Hi John......
Thanks for the reply,.... Sounds BAZAAR , Im off to wet a line later
so hope to get a chance to put your method to the test.
Cheers Mate .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts