World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going of reports i have read on our great forum is it better to invest in a older magalite than the newer modles what r your apinions boys and gals

·
Registered
73 Posts
original green mags are considered the best by many...the new ones might "look" nicer to those who go for that sort of thing but quality control has slipped with abu..same goes for 525 mag...as the saying goes the original is always the best...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The new ones have carbon matrix drags rather than fibre drag washers which is a distinct improvement and stronger gears. You can however upgrade the drag to carbon matrix in your older green or orange Mag Elite for about £10. It's fairly simple to do.

G

·
I wish they did an anodised pink version,would'nt matter a feck what it ran like,it would look nice:wiggle:
:crazy::wheelchai

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I pick up my new mag elite tomorrow.... it,s the red one with fast retrieve, hope it,s as good as it looks......Chris

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i like the newer c3ct MAG

i like the chrome, chrome is a very hard metal, very scratch resistant.
I'm not sure that they're actually chrome rather than just an anodised silver colour. To be chrome they would have had to make the side plates out of brass rather than aluminium as is the case with the Chrome Rocket.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm not sure that they're actually chrome rather than just an anodised silver colour. To be chrome they would have had to make the side plates out of brass rather than aluminium as is the case with the Chrome Rocket.
Yes they are chromed brass they weigh the same as a chrome rocket and feel a more rigid reel ,wouldn,t like to drop it on my toe

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yes they are chromed brass they weigh the same as a chrome rocket and feel a more rigid reel ,wouldn,t like to drop it on my toe
That's a nice development then. I must say that I didn't notice the extra weight when I loaded line on to his new silver Mag Elite but I didn't get much chance to check it out after that as he was too busy using it. One thing I did notice though is how evenly the line seemed to lay on the new V spool.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That's a nice development then. I must say that I didn't notice the extra weight when I loaded line on to his new silver Mag Elite but I didn't get much chance to check it out after that as he was too busy using it. One thing I did notice though is how evenly the line seemed to lay on the new V spool.
The first chrome rockets also came with a chromed brass brake plate soon after ABU just supplied a silver anodised brake plate that could if not looked after corrode in time the early ones are like a mini 7500C all brass ,so i guess you could change the brake plate on the new mags and have another all brass reel ,the sideplates on the new standard mags are a very dark looking chrome similar to the 6500 Millenium rather than bright chrome i honestly think they are the pick of the bunch of the latest reels

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have the orange and the green. For some reason the green is the best by far, dont ask me why????!!!

A wonderful reel for shore fishing, especially on clean ground although I do use mine in snaggy estuaries and it copes fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have always had the older style 6500ct versions, but a mate had several green mag reels, so I know what these fish like. I have just added a newer mag to my collection - the ct mag elite dark grey version, so not the high speed, or the cheaper version - the mid range one.

I guess that whatever you buy, there will always be good and bad versions due to maufacturing methods, human error and quality control. All I can say is, being an engineer in the aerospace industry, the model I was lucky enough to get (on e-bay) is well made, and feels very well put together - it is as smooth as silk, and a joy to use. It also seems heavier duty than the old version - whether this is down to the gear train being tighter, I don't know, but it just seems better made and put together.

A refreshing change for a new model nowadays.

Mart.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have got the green one and the blue sports mag and i think there good.but got to say i would not swap my 7htmag or my 525s for anything

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
this is the one i have...smooth as silk 6500 c3ct
http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/productimages/fullsize/amba_6500_c3_ct_mag.jpg

NEW FOR 2008
No longer green the new Mag Elite is a stunning grey and chrome finish..
The magnetic braking system is along the same lines as the old reel but the centrifugal brakes have been replaced with an all new 6 pin system to give an even greater range of casting adjustment. This gives longer , smoother casting and greatly reduces the risk of birdsnests.
Most of the changes have taken place on the right hand drive side with gear strength increased by 7 times

Features:-
- No level wind
- Magtrax Brake System
- Large T Handle
- Carbon Matrix Drag System
- 3 Stainles Steel Bearings

Weight - 465g
Gear Ratio - 5.3:1
Line Capacity - 245yds/14lb

·
Registered
179 Posts
this is the one i have...smooth as silk 6500 c3ct
http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/productimages/fullsize/amba_6500_c3_ct_mag.jpg

NEW FOR 2008
No longer green the new Mag Elite is a stunning grey and chrome finish..
The magnetic braking system is along the same lines as the old reel but the centrifugal brakes have been replaced with an all new 6 pin system to give an even greater range of casting adjustment. This gives longer , smoother casting and greatly reduces the risk of birdsnests.
Most of the changes have taken place on the right hand drive side with gear strength increased by 7 times

Features:-
- No level wind
- Magtrax Brake System
- Large T Handle
- Carbon Matrix Drag System
- 3 Stainles Steel Bearings

Weight - 465g
Gear Ratio - 5.3:1
Line Capacity - 245yds/14lb
Chilli,
That's the one i have fella - absolute joy to use. By the way, I also own a 525 mag knobby, and in all except the foulest of conditions, would use the c3ct first.

Mart.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I used my new mag elite (red) on friday night , straight out of the box it performed great... as a total novice to multi,s it was easy to set up regarding breaks and very user friendly.... well over 100 yards into a stiff breeze with 5oz plus bait.. looks nice too on my new Diawa tournament xs 134. Only fault i can find is "right hooker" only....... Chris

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
All the reels i own are the older ones,i had 2 green mags and a orange one.Ive sold the 2 greens and have kept the orange,the greens are great,smooth etc but the orange defo casts further and is smooth as silk.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Only fault i can find is "right hooker" only....... Chris
Not necessarily - all peeps need to do is dremel/saw a little 2mm (at most) slit in the freespool button...

No more worries of re-engaging spool during cast ever again...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts