World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Customs House Quay from 7.45am till 11.45am today with my sons. I caught 1 Flounder, 1 Mackerel, 1 Dogfish and the Waverley. Well the Waverley caught my rods and tripod and pulled one over the railings and away with it surfing along it side. I never had a chance he just pulled off from his mooring and sped straight along the edge of the Quay. My rod is swimming with Paulines rod now:cry:. Im sending a letter to them later to kick up a stink, if they dont sort it im taking my rods back down with big weights on for some target practice. So look out folks if your on board over the next few weeks, mind wear your crash helmets. Great mornings fishing except for that lost rod.

Steven

Attachments

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
nie day you had for it mate.

great pics aswell.

i would think the waverley would have the right of way bud but if it was my rod that got swept in i;d be raging aswell.

G

·
Well done on the days fishing ........not so well done on the rod,sorry to hear that ,but just thinking mine will now have some company ;o)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers folks, ive never seen it come so close to the wall before. It usually pulls out first then heads off. The Captain is a w----- his other ship is a tanker. Yes Pauline your rod has some company, hopefully they dont get any more friends soon.

Steven

G

·
hope not those wrist bands that go on your wrist and onto the rod look better each day ;o) .............saying that I would fancy get pulled in by boat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Talking about lost gear,same thing happened to me at Troon pier about ten years ago,did'nt see the trawler till the last minute,he seen me mind you,and he just sped round the pier while I was winding in as hard as I could but he dragged my rod,reel and rest into the water,literally right out of my hands.I'm convinced he knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hope not those wrist bands that go on your wrist and onto the rod look better each day ;o) .............saying that I would fancy get pulled in by boat
I tried my best to grab the tripod and rod, it was just ripped out my hands and over the railings. It was one of my cheaper rods tf. I dont think a wrist band would be a good idea for any one. That must be why some people tell you not to cast out to far down there. Gives me the excuse to get a better rod and reel. As that one's gone to Davie Jones Locker.

Steven

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
i've got caught onto a few boats off of ardrossan lighthouse but always managed to get it back via snap off or scissors.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talking about lost gear,same thing happened to me at Troon pier about ten years ago,did'nt see the trawler till the last minute,he seen me mind you,and he just sped round the pier while I was winding in as hard as I could but he dragged my rod,reel and rest into the water,literally right out of my hands.I'm convinced he knew what he was doing.

Ive seen it happen up at Arbroath Harbour aswell. As i said i will be back down with some heavy weights for target practise if i dont get any joy from them:boxing::boxing::boxing: They have nice wee windows along there boat to aim for:spiteful:

Steven

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Ive seen it happen up at Arbroath Harbour aswell. As i said i will be back down with some heavy weights for target practise if i dont get any joy from them:boxing::boxing::boxing: They have nice wee windows along there boat to aim for:spiteful:

Steven
No insurance i take it.
If you can leave the reel in ratchet, or fish with a leader so the main will snap a lot faster if you get a hold of the rod.
but in saying that its all over in a blink of an eye hard luck mate.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No insurance i take it.
If you can leave the reel in ratchet, or fish with a leader so the main will snap a lot faster if you get a hold of the rod.
but in saying that its all over in a blink of an eye hard luck mate.

Cheers kenny, i should of had the rachet on:doh: I was not expecting any monster fish though, so i didnt bother setting it. Me and the kids are ok so thats the main thing. I never liked that rod and reel anyway, ive still got its bag to remember it by lol. I caught three different species so im still a happy man. Ive also a good few rods kicking about so im ok for future sessions.

Steven

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can any one tell me why the waverley would steam along the Quay towards Glasgow only metres away, when it usually moves off the wall first then moves forward? Then he passed us going on up the river a bit, then it turned around going out of the main channel and headed back down the river. The Captain didnt have a clue if you ask me, either that or he was drunk or on drugs.

Steven

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey Stevie...These bloody light sabres are not cheep you know.....can you take more care of them, or you'll just get a light wand next time......:laugh:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
alright stevie.

i work down there in hte rbs building and have a sea view. nearly every morning the waverley does that it can only be about 20 feet from the edge. this morinng it looked extremly close in.

as far as i know it heads towards glasgow then it does a turn just outside my buidling and heads towards helensburgh.

one of these days its going to come to close to the edge

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have over the years seen the waverley pull away from rothesay pier and nearly pull peir staff in the water who are trying to throw off the ropes. surprised no-one has ever been seriously hurt.

when i worked on trawlers most boats waited till they were completely "loused" before they steamed off!:boxing:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Stevie...These bloody light sabres are not cheep you know.....can you take more care of them, or you'll just get a light wand next time......:laugh:
Ive just bought a Roddy multiplier reel from GAC. It should be ok for a while, at least until Santa comes. Ive got a few light sabres left mate so dont worry i dont plan to loose any more. You can keep your light wands bud, your getting to a tricky age so you might be needing them soon yourself lol. cheep cheep little birdie, you have a cheek to talk about Paulines spelling mistakes:bleh:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright stevie.

i work down there in hte rbs building and have a sea view. nearly every morning the waverley does that it can only be about 20 feet from the edge. this morinng it looked extremly close in.

as far as i know it heads towards glasgow then it does a turn just outside my buidling and heads towards helensburgh.

one of these days its going to come to close to the edge
Ive watched it berth a few times and im sure it stops off the Quay and then moves in sideways. Ive watched it doing the same when it leaves. I also was standing on Helensburgh pier when i was younger and it nearly took the pier out coming into berth. Im hoping im fishing their the day it goes under, i would love a picture before the heap sunk. I thought it blew a horn before it set off, i never heard a thing today. Something tells me he tried it, i must be wrong.

Steven

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have over the years seen the waverley pull away from rothesay pier and nearly pull peir staff in the water who are trying to throw off the ropes. surprised no-one has ever been seriously hurt.

when i worked on trawlers most boats waited till they were completely "loused" before they steamed off!:boxing:
They should make the captain walk the gang plank if you ask me. I would hate to think what would happen if one of the young kids that fish down there got caught on there reel if they were snagged on it. They all stood on the deck just looking with mouths open. Anyone got a rocket launcher handy for the next time it comes past.

Steven

·
Registered
826 Posts
A black widow catapult and a bag of ball bearings or glass marbles is handy for that sort of thing ;)

Also good for annoying seagulls lol

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A black widow catapult and a bag of ball bearings or glass marbles is handy for that sort of thing ;)

Also good for annoying seagulls lol
I had one years ago and i remember they were quite accurate. I will need to scope the boat out to see if i can get the captain first lol.

Steven

1 - 20 of 30 Posts