World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Went down to Greenock today for a few hours to pass the time and try some some ragworm that i had salted and frozen to see if it would work on the wee wrasse polock ect and was glad to say that it didnt just work it was :thumbs: had around 13 small wrasse and 2 small pollock from the mark over from morrisons, still cant understand why though that whilst there is a bin there ( well i can actually lazy bas****s) there is still nylon hooks and the like all over the place still great wee two hours down the coast

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice fish there mate, i love it down there as it is so quiet and the views are stunning.

As for all the crap lying all over the place i clean it up regularily when i am there, i actualy take a bin bad each time with me in anticipation.

Gordy....

·
Banned
914 Posts
Sometimes the 'buzz' can come from figuring something out and using a different tactic to make the best of what's there. Seems that sort of attitude is catching on around the coast where the lack of bigger fish has prompted a whole new style of angling called LRF. Don't know if you've read anything about it but there is a lot of chat on the subject on the Lure / plugging part of the forum. Ultra small baits/ lures, tiny hooks, 4lbs braids on some very delicate 5gms rods etc. Quite interesting. Could approach the Clyde with a whole new mindset on a micro species hunt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea been reading that post for a while, And that got me thinking as i stay in renfrewshire the river gryffe was were i learned to fish with the usaul small river outfits then starting to fly fish when i was 14, 30 odd years ago. But when we went to rothesay in the 70s we used to change over to big giant hooks crazy heavy lines to fish of the pier for saith codling that wasnt really that much bigger than the trout we were catching back home, It wasnt untill maybe late 79 80 that i went back to rothesay with the nine foot spinning rods 8IB nylon and size 10 hooks and had a ball with saith up to 4BS wee wrasse pouting ect all caught on tiny bits of mussel free lined from under the pier, ohh for a time machine ehh :thumbs: ps mackerel on the fly rod especially the floater is amazzzzing

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The place is full of Golsinney Wrasse and what a great way to introduce someone to fishing.

One of my mates from Edinburgh had never held a fishing rod before and was interested in giving it a go so I took him to my favourite mark in Greenock and he had well over a dozen fish.

The majority were Goldsinney Wrasse but there was a small spined sea scorpion, pollack as well as a couple of Corkwing Wrasse.

I let him try different rods, a cheap bass rod, reel loaded with 10lb line and size 8 hooks, all on 6lb flouro. He was happy with this set up until I let him try an 11ft feeder rod I had. The reel had 6lb line on it and I made up rigs with 6lb main line and 4lb snoods. He felt better with this as he said he could feel everything better.

He is now fishing every week although it is fresh water but it was a great way to start him off and he loved it.

I love fishing for the small species in Greenock as there is such a variety. Each time I go into the fishing shop for smaller hooks he hs baffled as I am sure I am the only person in Greenock buying size 16 and smaller to fish in the Clyde

It would be good to have a thread with ALL the species caught in Greenock.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

sounds like a fun day.. had a few of them down that way on the ultra light gear (refuse to call it LRF) had a few sessions last week up at lochaline using a quiver tip, 4lb line, size 12 down to 22 hooks and mostly bits of rgagworm as bait. these tactics accounted for close on 200 fish mostly Ballans to 2lb, Cuckoo's, Corkwings, goldsinnys and loads of Rockcook.. also managed 2 Spot, Sand and leopard Spotted gobies along with pollack, Pout, Poorcod, Cod and Coalies :)

Pics of the Gobies are on this thread

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.