World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love fishing down at greenock just across from the fire station theres loads a fun to be had was there 2weeks back and caught 4 mackrel 2 pollock cpl of coalies and a lovely wrasse at 2lb3oz all on float and i put them all back to fight another day its a great wee spot have spoken to a few of the local boys that fish there and the say its good fo congers and duggies so maybe one day i will catch one of them happy fishin

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome ramcheck4.

Good to have you aboard. Remember, once you reach 10 posts and over, you are automatically entered into the prize draw for £50 of vouchers from baits direct.

Tight lines

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ramcheck,

went down to Greenock yhesterday for the first time and caught 2 macks whilst spinning.
Ive never tried float fishing, how do you set the float up. I would love to catch a few different species.

Ta.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi ta well i use to fish down at greenock with a friend and the way that we fished was hook and weight big cast out but rearly caught anything it was a local lad we got chatting to said try float fishing i instantly thought this guys having a laugh so about 2yrs ago we thougth we will give it a try and we have never looked back its the best float fishing i have done any way back to the float

start by tying an ajustable knot a few ft up the line then add 1 small bead and 1 large bead then a large float not a bubble float the long floats u get then 1 large bead 1 ball weight another bead a swivel then add about 3ft of line to the other side of the swivel then hook add bait and u only need to cast about 20ft and just sit back and watch its great i hope you have some luck it certainly works for me

ps you can buy a floatrig from the glasgow angling centre for 2 pounds
good luck let me know how you get on i am going down on sunday 7th aug for a wee bit fishing take care :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I find it quite hard to detect a bite so I mainly float fish. Great fun - particularly when fishing for wrasse or other species over rough ground. You can try an area at a certain depth for a while then change depth until you find the fish. Great fun. Especially when the bites are coming in.

Blenny

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Try fishing behind the mortgage center in greenock for some decent size pollock coalies and of course mackies :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Ramcheck, Blenny and Towelie.

Will try out all your advice. I will probably buy a float rig as you suggested Ramcheck as I am pants at rig tying.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you want to save some pat (cash) ;) you could do worse than check out codhead bobs website for home made tackle. It's very good (in a Tony Hart kinda way). If you ain't handy with a drill etc a float rig @ £1.99 from GAC will do the trick.

Tight lines
Blenny

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as i said before i love float fishing but when down in greenock i take to rods my trusty 9ft ledger and my beachcaster i use the ledger on float and usually use the beachcaster for further out and just leave the line in for ages 9/10 thers usually a flatty on it but i do preffer float fishing as i said i am going down on sunday 7th aug if you wanna have a chat i will be driving a blue kia 4x4 or blue vectra i am a auld fat guy so u wont miss me lol good luck again

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Towelie said:
Try fishing behind the mortgage center in greenock for some decent size pollock coalies and of course mackies :p
weres the mortgage centre in greenock directions please thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
i fish greenock most nights it has its bad nights but it has it good 2 plenty of codlings getting caught just keep trying u may get wat ur looking 4

·
Registered
711 Posts
hi tassy,where do you fish at greenock?baits,rigs etc.been down last two sundays. blankety blank:banghead: all info would be helpful:)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Dont know about tassy, but I dont think Ive ever blanked at Greenock, never had any notable catches either though in terms of size. Standard rig for me is two hook flapper fished <50 yards baited with Rag/Mackerel. Or a two hook bomber fished slighty further out. A lot of small Codling about right now, although we only had bites at slack water and the first hour of the ebb for some reason.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts