World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There...I'm new to this forum and a keen mullet angler. I usually fish around Plymouth and South Devon but am keen to try new spots and hope people can share info on good spots for Mullet.

My best fish is 6lb 7oz and was caught 3 years ago at the Hopes Nose sewage outfall near Torquay. This used to be my favourite mark although I havent fished it recently. The pipe closed last yr but I still believe pumps during times of heavy rainfall. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone had any mullet from the nose since it was closed? I used to find spring tides fished best.

I prefer fishing open sea type marks with onion sacks but have found it hard to find anything close to the Nose in terms of quantity and quality of mullet.

Does anyone have any good spots they can share? Does anyone know any spots in Devon/Cornwall where sewage is still pumped into the sea from the shoreline? I've had one or two fish at pipe near Polperro but the place is difficult to fish at best and a very long walk!

Fished Rusty anchor In Plymouth a few weeks ago but saw no fish. Mt Batten Breakwater is usually reliable if you fish inside and wait for the groundbait to work. But never had a fish above 4lb here. If you ever go into Turnchapel marina that houses lots of fish but you cant fish for them without tresspassing!

Dartmouth and Kingsbridge interest me a lot but never managed much here. Have heard Snapes Pt is worth a go? anyone tried it for mullet? Where are the spots around Dartmouth? What about around the Fowey? Anyone tried Sharkham or around Torbay from the Open coast?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi,
Have you ever fished the yealm at Noss Mayo/Newton ferrers?
There always used to be some huge mullet under the paint rafts opposite the Yealm hotel,
Musket

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate. I haven't fished for them at the paint rafts. Is it possible to get to them without a boat?

I have however fished at the Yealm Hotel and seen some big mullet there. You have to go early morning at low or high water and pump in the bread. Have seen big ones there but only caught smaller ones.

I fished Hopes Nose last w/e on what used to be the pipe. Very disappointing...only saw one fish on my onion sack which soon disappeared. The river Otter has some mullet in it but very hard to catch!

Walked around Torquay marina yesterday and mullet were thin on the ground. I heard they are in the Dart though...anyone know about this or been catching?! lets get more of a discussion going!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi SS,
You'd need a boat (or kayak which hopefully I'll be getting soon!) to get onto the Wembury side and be close to the rafts-or you could use the ferryman who will be operating now and shouldn't be expensive.Only prob I suppose is groundbaiting beforehand.A friendly local would be useful.
Jon

·
Registered
199 Posts
few years ago i know people were catching some big mullet at the harbour side of the old wier gate house in hayle. also used to watch loads of mullet follow the tide coming into st.ives harbour between the moorings etc, quite a lot of them and fair size too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shoals of Mullet at Car Park Pier Weymouth.£7 Parking all day,fish from the car practically. Only one fish in 6 hours.Low tide fine.Caught it on Bread flake steeped briefly in Honey/Fish Oil marinade. Co-incidence maybe?

·
Registered
57 Posts
No not a deviation. Heard the continental anglers put sea grass on their hooks as Mullet suck the algae off the leaves. Anything is worth a try but haven't tried it yet.It's bad enough being unable to catch things you can't see and might not even be there but thoroughly frustrating when you can see them and they're pushing your bait aside with their heads !!!. Mushy peas in the onion sack ?? I,ll crack it yet or fall in trying !! This could become a magnificent obsession.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The Professor said:
This could become a magnificent obsession.
That's my excuse for not having a go for them yet.... All my toys are ready, Coarse match rod, 6lb line, size 10 hook, waggler float, onion net for the groundbait (bread). I normally go our mullet spotting during my dinner hour (am lucky enough to be right next to a harbour with small shoals in). I will be taking the plunge soon .... very soon....

PS - Welcome back Prof. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all,

I've only just registered and brand new to sea fishing.

Went to Hopes Nose on the 19th June for the first time - arrived at 7am and fished until mid-day.

We had great fun catching ariound three dozen mackrel for future bait (and the table) then had a go for the mullet that could be seen swimming directly beneath our feet! (we were on the left hand side as you walk down to the nose).

I used a 10' spinning rod - small fixed spool reel, 6lb line and float fished a small mackrel strip.

Ended up with a lovely mullet - we didn't weigh it but my mate thought it would be 3 - 3.5 lb. I'll try and attach a photo.

Had the fish for dinner Monday night, cooked in foil stuffed with tomatos and plenty of salt and pepper - It was beautiful!!!

Attachments

·
The Bean Counter
44,150 Posts
Thats one of the best 1st posts of seen yet. Please don't do it again as I am now very jealous. Hope to catch me one of them at the end of July.
Well done. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice fish! That looks like it could be a golden-grey mullet with a gold patch on it's gill cover. Yet to snag myself one of those... duno about eating mullet though, not a big fan myself, maybe I just didn't cook it right. Might go mulleting next week this post has got me in the mood for chasing those sneaky buggers.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Walshy,,,you`ve peaked too soon mate. :D
There`s a few of us on here going slightly green.Welcome to WSF bud.
Terry F.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts