World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the marina where I keep the boat there are loads of grey mullet some a reasonable size. Been trying everything to catch them those I hook I lose do they have very soft mouths or something?

Any advice boys?

It would give me something to do on the days its too windy to get out,

Thanks
Ryan

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,214 Posts
Small hooks like coarse anglers use for carp & tench - size 6 - 10. Small bits of mackerel, don't mask the hookpoint. Some places they will take bread though I've never caught one on bread.

A soft rod, like a carp rod helps as this absorbs the first couple of runs without pulling the hook. I find that once you catch one or two they stop biting. Great fun to catch. Most people don't bother because you have to be really patient and persistent. It's really frustrating when you can see them swim past your bait without even looking at it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
633 Posts
It's a common misconception that mullet have soft mouths. They do have a habit of picking up your bait and running with it for a couple of yards only to spit the hook though, but if you hook one properly they rarely get away. Best baits that i've found are soft white bread and mackerel flesh without any skin. They will also take maggots readily. An interesting point that I've noticed is that they are not so keen on "long life bread", much prefering a fresh unsliced loaf. If you can see mullet on or near the surface, great sport can be had by freelining for them. It's a method I often use in harbours and can be more productive than float fishing and legering. This year I have been experimenting with Drennan fly tying hooks which are almost a circle pattern. The hook up rate with this pattern has been very encouraging, just let the fish swim of with the bait pulling the rod tip around and it hooks itself with no need to strike. Hope this helps.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I`ve been thinking of having a go for mullet this year using the carp lads controller floats and a piece of artificial floating bread on the hook.
After feeding up with some loose breadflake,,the mullet might get tempted.
Anyone else tried this method and any success?

Terry F.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Try fly fishing for them, use an old floating line, long leader, & a white nymph (that represents a maggot I suppose) when you hook one on this gear hang on for a buzz!
blueskip

·
Registered
738 Posts
I caught one off the outside saudersfoot habour on piece of ragworm on 6 hook, right down against the wall. It came after throwing some old mackerel, so i guess groundbaiting works.

Rig was a basic three hook paternoster legered all 12lb line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts