World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my new Sallopetes and Jacket on there first real test today and they failed badly!! They were tried for the first time in moderate occasional rain the other week and I felt damp across the shoulders. Today though, after a good downpour I was soaked. Not just me, another lad was using his for the first time and was also drenched. Yet another lad has sent his back and wrote an email got Greys expressing his disgust! :nono:
Going to have to return mine and get something like mentioned in another thread about the Gill dot rating.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
yes i had the same problem a few years ago!i went back to wearing oil skins, as nobody has made anything yet thats waterproof jim.:nono::thumbdown

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Must be honest, I've never had any problems with my Greys waterproof smock, even in very heavy rain.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I was looking at the greys extreme smock and bib and brace today thinking about getting them don't know if I should now :headhurt: I thought they where a pretty good waterproof product :nono:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes i bought a jacket about 5years ago now. Blue and grey. Absolutely useless . I keep it in the garage for gardening as the plastic zip went in the first couple of weeks. I also have a Diawa DPG smock top and that really is top draw [ black and red ] " diawa performance gear ". I could recommend that . I also have Titantex smock, bib and brace and jacket . These are brilliant and not to be mixed up with the windcheater version which is cheaper and only water repellent . A lot of people bought these and moaned because they leaked.
The stormproof and quilted lined ones are absolutely spot on. :fishing:

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I bought the greys suit 2years ago ,smock leaked bib -brace badly
stitched inside.
Sent them back had them replaced new ones just as bad.
How can they call these extreme weather wear, they must of been in
the pub when they named it.:thumbdown

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
If you want proper waterproofs then buy the stuff the commercial guys wear, trouble is nowadays tackle tarts need to look fashionable with thier fancy beach outfits, but in reality nothing beats the stuff the commercial guys wear

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
If you want proper waterproofs then buy the stuff the commercial guys wear, trouble is nowadays tackle tarts need to look fashionable with thier fancy beach outfits, but in reality nothing beats the stuff the commercial guys wear
:fishing:You're right but yellow oilskins will never catch on, not on the beach anyway. Best kit I've got is the Daiwa Tournament breathable waterproofs, comfortable, quiet and DRY, just put warm clothing underneath when cold. The best kit I've ever had is Musto sailing kit, warm, dry, breathable with padded knees and very expensive, mine was nicked on the IOM while fishing the Manx week, didn't think to claim off my fishing insurance at the time as it was clothing and Mrs B wouldn't of been too pleased if I'd spent that sort of money twice in 6 months, so I bought a set of Titan gear, nice but not a patch on the Musto or Daiwa.:fishing:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the greys suit 2years ago ,smock leaked bib -brace badly
stitched inside.
Sent them back had them replaced new ones just as bad.
How can they call these extreme weather wear, they must of been in
the pub when they named it.:thumbdown
I am not going to accept replacements. I want a refund. I would love to know what they class as "extreme".

·
Premium Member
15,977 Posts
I have the Greys extreme jacket & bib'n brace, it wasn't waterproof so after getting soaked I sprayed it with Wix-Wax and it's perfect, I know you shouldn't have to do it but it's fine now, i've been out in all weather and it's nice and dry! I wouldn't buy Greys clothing again though!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
All we sea anglers ask for is a decent waterproof outfit with a decent zip that does not fail after one use. So many outfits on the market all let down buy manufactures cutting the basic corners.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I really like the look of the greys waterproof smock and bib and brace was going to buy so going by the reviews they're no good I take it

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
after all the complaints about the apollo range you would think greys
would get in touch with a few of us anglers.
i sent them a letter which they did not answer.
any greys reps reading these threads stand up and be counted :thumbdown

·
Registered
427 Posts
i have had the smock for a number of years now and does not leak and would buy again as the fit is ideal for fishing. Have had a number of well known tops that have been no near as good as this.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My grey's apollo jacket doesn't leak as long as i have my umbrella with me. The jacket isn't draughty as long as i wear something warm underneath and press the velco strips together. The teeth on the zip started to break in the first week i had it. Thank god for Titantex and my Diawa Performance Gear smock. :thumbs:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is actually made in Sri Lanka according to the label. I think should only be rated for a light shower.
Below is quoted on their website and which I emailed to them (with no reply):

"At Greys, we understand the importance of staying warm and dry whilst out fishing in the elements. Having the confidence that your clothing will with stand all that is thrown at you is key. So Greys have teamed up with with the manufacturer of extreme waterproof clothing for european police and armed forces to produce this new range of Apollo Extreme clothing.
Apollo Extreme has taken the best elements of our Apollo range and incorporated the latest in outdoor clothing advancements. Re-designed with second generation GSS fabric with ultra-high performance levels of waterproofing and breathability, the Apollo Extreme will not let you down.
The Waterproof Jacket, Smock and Trousers have been extensively tested in the harshest conditions. With its waterproof & breathable outer the Apollo Waterproof clothing range will keep you warm and dry during all your fishing sessions. With its stylish design and highly practical features, the Apollo Extreme clothing range has set a benchmark for comfort and protection."

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

1 - 20 of 25 Posts