World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there has been a lot of discussion on the forum about these rods and I think that I have read most of it.
I have a Greys GRXS that I use in just about all conditions without any problems.
But a lot of threads say that the rod is only good for clean ground or light fishing.
Am I running a risk of damaging the rod?
Has anyone broken a GRXS (I don't mean slamming it in the boot lid :uhuh:)?

For the money I think that its an incedible piece if kit.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It will handle mixed ground as Greys call it on their description. It will not handle tackle grave yards or kelp jungles where beefier gear is needed, but for broken ground where you may encounter large boulders or other such obstacles it will be fine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.:)
I don't normally fish in lots of weed although sometimes it seems that the weed comes looking for me!
The roughest ground tends to be boulder beaches so I think that I'm ok with the rod.
Unless someone tells me otherwise.

By the way, has anyone ever broken this or any other rod through overloading it.
The only time its ever happened to me it was replaced by the manufacturer with no problems so I assume it was defective.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
By the way, has anyone ever broken this or any other rod through overloading it.
The only time its ever happened to me it was replaced by the manufacturer with no problems so I assume it was defective.
Its a Greys rod - it come with a free lifetime guarantee. Have a look at the Greys Site for details.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know its a lifetime guarantee from Greys but if I can avoid it I don't want to pay £35 to have a broken section replaced.

Greys may offer a good guarantee but you have to pay for it!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
for rough ground, it helps to have a stiff rod to lift gear quickly - some protection comes thru selecting the right terminal gear (like weak links, breakaways - hooks that straighten etc) and the right technique (fast retrieve - tip help high etc) other than that.....

its not the ground that breaks rods - its the person tryng to pull the plug wot breaks it - be sensible and you'll be fine. pull the line not the rod

also just having a mate to extricate your gear from the plug and then winding like fleuk - helps too (much harder to do when your solo)

once your stuck it doesn't matter what rod you have.

i have fished rough ground with carp gear and caught loads o fish - different attitude - don't blub if you lose gear -expect it! - keep it simple and cheap assuming its lost - smile when you get it back - aim for the fish not the gear

grxs is a fine rod for money

hope it helps

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I know its a lifetime guarantee from Greys but if I can avoid it I don't want to pay £35 to have a broken section replaced.

Greys may offer a good guarantee but you have to pay for it!
Try breaking a Zziplex or Century and see how much that costs for a new section:g:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you can break any rod (including the very best) except very thick-walled "E" glass, "Ugly-Stik" -style construction and solid glass or carbon

not counting car doors and big wellies, the two commonest ways are getting a bad scratch (or knock) that goes through the coating/varnish and into the fibreglass/carbon/semi-carbon (that is now just a weak point waiting to be put under tension)
and
"high sticking" it - lifting a fish of 2 or 3 lb (or more) straight up so that the rod butt and mid-section is straight and vertical but the flexible tip is bent over a very small radius, with the tip ring 'trying' to point straight down. It goes with a "bang !" if you do that .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts