Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as anyone ever used this and if so was there any problems ,
my rod snapped on the weekend so hopefully gonna use it

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
As far as I'm aware Kris, as long as its registered, there shouldnt be a problem. I think most people just hacksaw the broken tip/butt section into smaller pieces, then post in a jiffy bag. Dont take my word for it though, please wait for someone to confirm it.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
touch wood aint needed to yet but remember it was 30 quid excess which i suppose is alot cheaper than a new rod
I think the 30 quid is to cover postage back to greys, but if it's in pieces, it wont cost that much.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i no its £30 quid which beats paying for a new 1 snapped abt a foot off the top would i have to send both pieces?
thank god they do this guarantee ( touch wood)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I think the 30 quid is to cover postage back to greys, but if it's in pieces, it wont cost that much.
I think the £30 is for them to look at it then if they agree it is there fault it broke they will send out a replacement piece
dai
chop the broken section into 4" pieces and return it to them with the £30

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the £30 is for them to look at it then if they agree it is there fault it broke they will send out a replacement piece
dai
chop the broken section into 4" pieces and return it to them with the £30
would they except that ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have just had my tip section of my Greys Syntra replaced, did not send the broken section back, and they sent a new section which i received today, no hassles no problems, but it was replaced for £35, not £30.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
i did tell u greys snap iain:headhurt::doh:
how u gettin on neway?
PS

·
Registered
387 Posts
I snapped a new Platinum GSI late last year, one day after buying it, and hadn't even had a chance to send off the registration card! Luckily at the weigh-in (I was fishing an open comp) I bumped into Tony Anderson (then with Greys) who personally delivered me a brand new tip section the very next day!!:yeah::yeah::yeah:

I know this is an exception but have since had no further problems with any Greys rods (even bought another platinum I liked them that much!) and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with any returns - as far as I know the guarantee is no questions asked.

I think the £30 charge is purely to cover shipping, although if you can get to Greys to collect (or someone to do it for you) it's completely free of charge. Good luck!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Greys repairs & Warranty:

http://www.greysfishing.com/index.php?if=repairs

Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee

For this ULG to become effective, you must register with us within 21 days of purchase. To ensure immediate cover we recommend using the registration form on the Hardy website (to access please click here). You will receive an e-mail confirming your registration when complete. Alternatively you should register by post or fax using the attached card. We are not able to send individual confirmations for post or fax registrations.

* The ULG applies to the original owner only. It is given in addition to your statutory rights under the laws of England and Wales.
* The ULG applies only to all new and current Hardy & Greys Limited carbon fibre rods purchased from an authorised Greys dealer effective January 2002.
* The ULG does not cover intentional breakage or ordinary wear and tear.
* A handling charge will apply per section per claim. (Currently set at £25 per section per claim for Game, Coarse and Carp Rods and £35 per section per claim for Sea Rods)
* Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to alter the handling charge without prior notice or warning.
* Please check with Hardy & Greys Limited or your local dealer for handling charge current at time of claim.

What to do

Make sure you have completed your warranty registration card within 21 days and obtained the dealer’s stamp and date of purchase in the box provided on the card. If registering by post, take a photocopy for your own records. Please keep in a safe place with your proof of purchase. Original owners resident overseas should contact their local dealer/distributor for details.

In the event of a claim, send your rod section(s) with your payment, securely packaged to:

Customer Services Department,
Hardy & Greys Limited,
Willowburn,
Alnwick,
Northumberland,
England
NE66 2PF

You may send us your payment by cheque, or by credit/debit card in which case, please give us your name as it appears on the card, your card number and expiry date.

Broken sections

For tips, you need only send the bottom 10cm/4ins, for middle sections, the bottom and top 10cm/4ins. For the butt section, the spigot and top 5cm/2ins. We will match a new replacement to the broken section. When returning broken section, you must state model, length, line size and rod serial number. Please advise daytime telephone number and daytime delivery address.

Further information

* The original owner is responsible for the cost of carriage and insurance of the rod to the Customer Service Department (CSD) of Hardy & Greys Limited, or to the distributor of his/her country.
* All Claims in the UK must be dealt with by the CSD directly.
* Return despatch and insurance charges in the UK will be paid by Hardy & Greys Limited.
* All other non-carbon fibre rods are not covered by the ULG, but are covered by the existing Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects and workmanship.
* The benefit of the ULG may not be assigned or transferred to any other third party.
* Failure to return the completed ULG within 21 days cancels any rights an original owner has to the ULG.
* Goods covered by the ULG will be repaired or replaced at the discretion of Hardy & Greys Limited.
* There may be colour/material and specification variations in the replacement sections against the original.
* The ULG does not cover consequential or incidental damages.
* The ULG does not cover lost rod or rod section(s).
* No associated ancillary liability due to use of rod is accepted by Hardy & Greys Limited.
* Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models, at a reasonable charge, with comparable models when necessary. Colours and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

Care of your Greys rod

· Never use tools of any kind or twist or clamp the rod.
· Never bend your rod at extreme angles over a short distance. When setting up always thread line thorough rings keeping the rod straight. Do not hold rod at tip. Your rod is designed to flex throughout its complete length and not over a short section.
· Avoid sharp jerks when fly is caught or snagged. Point rod directly at snag and pull for a break.
· Avoid over stressing your rod by taking it past its fighting curve.
· Avoid sharp blows such as hitting gunwales of a boat and overhanging branches.
· Avoid flies hitting rod blank when casting especially when using gold heads etc.
· Rub the spigots or joints regularly with candle wax. This prevents premature wear of the carbon to carbon joints, provides a secure friction fit during fishing and ease of separation at the end of a days fishing.
· Always rinse rings and metal fittings in fresh water after use in salt or brackish water.
· Clean and dry rod after each fishing trip, especially under rod rings and the rings themselves, as sediment build up during fishing is the main cause of wear on rod rings. Dirty rings and line will cut down line speed and line shoot which reduces casting distance.
· Keep your reel fitting clean from dirt and grit and lubricate screw threads occasionally.
· Store in a dry environment. If your rod comes with a tube, store in this to avoid and accidents.

This warranty applies to products that have been used in the manner that was intended. It does not cover normal wear and tear, or apply to products that have been neglected, altered or abused in anyway, nor to any consequential loss, relating to any defect. This warranty is given in addition to your statutory rights.
Greys reserve the right to change the excess charge in the future subject to inflation.

Worldwide Extended Warranty (WEW)

As from January 1st 2008 Hardy and Greys Limited will be introducing a new policy for rod warranties. The Worldwide Extended Warranty (WEW) has been designed to simplify the warranty procedure by charging a standard handling, administration and postage and packaging charge per claim, plus a percentage of the current or last recommended retail price of the rod, per section repaired. The WEW covers all Hardy, Greys and Chub rods.

The handing charge will be £25 per claim and the section repair charge will be 10% of the current or last recommended retail price of the rod.

It will allow our award winning Customer Services team to deal with your claims more efficiently.
What to do

The terms and Conditions of the Worldwide Extended Warranty

Register within 60 days of purchase by-

Filling in the WEW Warranty Card on the rod and posting it to the Customer Services Department at Hardy and Greys (address below)

OR

Register online at www.hardygreys.com

2. Retain original proof of purchase.

3. Applicable for the lifetime of the original owner only.

• Warranty covers damage to the rod from any cause but excludes normal wear and tear or lost sections.

• Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models, at a reasonable charge, with comparable models when necessary. Colours and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

4. Charging structure:

-£25 handling, administration, return postage & packing charge (per claim).

PLUS

-10% of the current or last Recommended Retail Price of the rod (per section, per claim).

5. Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to alter the handling charge without prior notice. Please check the website for current charging structure.

6. The owner must follow the correct claim procedure below.

7. The owner is responsible for the costs of post or carriage in sending the goods to Hardy & Greys Limited and for insuring the goods.

8.The benefits of the Worldwide Extended Warranty may not be assigned by the original owner to any other party.

9.The Worldwide Extended Warranty is subject to English Law and is additional to the owners Statutory rights.

10. Hardy and Greys Limited reserves the right to determine wether to repair or replace any product covered by this warranty.

11.Discontinued models - where a damaged rod is a from a discontinued line Hardy & Greys Limited may offer the owner a comparable rod from our current range. In these circumstances the owner would pay the £25 handling charge referred to above and 10% per section up to a maximum of 50% of the current or last recommended retail price of the rod.

How to make a claim

The worldwide Extended Warranty is subject to English Law. Hardy & Greys Limited reserves the right to determine whether to repair any product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models, at a reasonable charge, with comparable models when necessary. Colours and components may vary between original and replacement parts. Warranty covered damage to the rod from any cause but exclused normal wear and tear or lost sections.

In the event of a claim you can either –

Customers residing outside the U.K

Inform your nearest Hardy & Greys Limited approved Agent , who will process your claim. Details of approved Hardy & Greys Limited Agents are available on the dealer section of the website.

Customers residing in the U.K

Send your rod or damaged section(s) together with payment of the appropriate handling charge, securely packaged to the Customer Services Department, Hardy & Greys Limited, Willowburn, Alnwick , Northumberland , England , NE66 2PF -+44(0)1665 602 771.
You may send your payment by cheque, payable to Hardy and Greys Limited or by credit/debit card, in which case please give us your name as it appears on the card, your number, 3-digit security code and expiry date.

Sending Broken Sections

For tip sections , you need only send the bottom 10cm/4ins, for the middle sections, the bottom and top 10cm/4ins, for the butt section, the Spigot and top 5cm/2ins. Hardy and Greys Limited will match a new replacement to the broken section. When returning broken sections, you must state model, length and line size. Please advise daytime trlephone number and daytime delivery address.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just had my tip section of my Greys Syntra replaced, did not send the broken section back, and they sent a new section which i received today, no hassles no problems, but it was replaced for £35, not £30.
i only register it yestaday i be on the phone tomorrow ,,

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Just registered my new Apollo M2.....but hopefully will never have to use the service :thumbs:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hang on peeps. The Sale of Goods Act offers much more protection than any Greys warranty. Its a big subject but basically, if an item goes pop within 6 months it is up to the dealer NOT the manufacturer to PROVE the item was NOT faulty, not you to prove it was. In other words in the real world, take it back to the dealer and ask for a repair/refund/replacement. If you have trapped it in the car door, don't take the micheal, get your wallet out and pay Greys the £35, not a bad deal really. If it broke under normal use however and the dealer will not help, go to the small claims court. Its really easy and usually when the retailer realizes you are going to pursue it, they sort it out like they should have done in the first place.

If you need confirmation of the above, have a chat to your local Citizens Advice. As I said, the Sale of Goods Act is a big subject but it is intended to get everyone playing fair. £35 to "process" a genuine warranty claim is total horlicks.

cheers
Skiptonian

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hang on peeps. The Sale of Goods Act offers much more protection than any Greys warranty. Its a big subject but basically, if an item goes pop within 6 months it is up to the dealer NOT the manufacturer to PROVE the item was NOT faulty, not you to prove it was. In other words in the real world, take it back to the dealer and ask for a repair/refund/replacement. If you have trapped it in the car door, don't take the micheal, get your wallet out and pay Greys the £35, not a bad deal really. If it broke under normal use however and the dealer will not help, go to the small claims court. Its really easy and usually when the retailer realizes you are going to pursue it, they sort it out like they should have done in the first place.

If you need confirmation of the above, have a chat to your local Citizens Advice. As I said, the Sale of Goods Act is a big subject but it is intended to get everyone playing fair. £35 to "process" a genuine warranty claim is total horlicks.

cheers
Skiptonian
i sent it off and when i rang them on thursday they said they were behing on post and not got round to opening it , i explained how long its been and he was a nice guy and said i wll try and chase it up my self and get it back to u asap he give me a dead line of monday, its all good in having the warranty but a good genral after sale service thats most people want and from a top brand i think its pritty poor

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I agree with Skiptonian a very poor deal if you have to pay £35 you are buying a new tip, and seeing as so many seem to snap(do a search) I would have thought Greys should have got a grip by now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with Skiptonian a very poor deal if you have to pay £35 you are buying a new tip, and seeing as so many seem to snap(do a search) I would have thought Greys should have got a grip by now.
Hi there, hows your back after the pumping? I am just getting some feeling back in the back if you know what I mean:blink:

Here's a thought, if a rod retails at £100. What does it actually cost to manufacture? £50, £40? How about £10 -£15? Thats probably nearer the mark. Then Greys want £35 to replace it if it is faulty?:eek:hmy:

Nice little earner methinks:doh:

Cheers
Skiptonian

·
Banned
353 Posts
my grey`s nitra snapped and i called grey`s, they told me send a few peices of rod back which i did, a week later i got a brand new nitra and i didnt pay a thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts