World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I BOUGHT A NITRA IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR TO FISH THE EAST YORKS COAST,PARTUICULARLY SOME OF THE SNAGGIER AREAS TOWARDS SPURN POINT,AND ALSO TO TACKLE THE RAYS WHEN A BIT MORE LIFTING POWER WAS REQUIRED.IT IS ALSO FOR THE ROCKS AROUND FILEY/SCARBOROUGH/BEMPTON.
FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A POWERFUL ROD THIS IS A REVELATION.THE POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO IS TERRIFIC,THE QUALITY BRILLIANT AND VALUE FOR MONEY TERRIFIC.IT ISNT A ROD THAT CAN BE TAKEN LIGHTLY THOUGH AS IT WILL LET YOU KNOW IF YOUR EGO IS GREATER THAN YOUR ABILITY BY PULLING YOUR ARMS OFF&#33;IF YOU HAVE A GOOD BASIC TECHNIQUE THOUGH AND NEED A BIT MORE OOMPH THAN A STANDARD ROD CAN OFFER THEN CHECK IT OUT.I LOVE MINE AND WILL CERTAINLY BY A GREYS ROD THE NEXT TIME I GET A NEW ROD.</font>

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
<font color='#00FF00'>Having bust two SRX greys this year and seen one more go pop i would not let one in the house
</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i have heard bad things about greys
although i have a old mercury, its a nice rod but wouldnt take it on a rock mark.
the apollos are know for popping tips as are the srx&#39;s

and the new ones are made from cheaper materials so i cant see how this will improve them?

but thats my opinion

macky ;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have had a Greys Apollo for 2 years (the original version not MK2) and am very happy with it.

I think the new range are cheaper because labour costs have been slashed (by moving production out of UK to the Far East) and not because of lower quality materials.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
hi manx
apparently they are using cheaper materials for the new range

maybe thats why they are now offering the life time guarantee, because they are so cheap to replace?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by macky1@Sep 29 2004, 04:16 PM
hi manx
apparently they are using cheaper materials for the new range

maybe thats why they are now offering the life time guarantee, because they are so cheap to replace?
Or the rod busts and impales you through the heart thus ending your life and guarantee.
I&#39;ve also heard that it costs £30 to effect the guarantee. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It cost me £15 and 5 weeks waiting for it to come back and two days to bust it for the 2nd time they sent me my money back and i got a Zziplex XTR this will not go pop B)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i also use a pair of daiwa amorphous whisker rods which are the most respected rods built in the last 5 years,and the replacements for them are made from cheaper matreial as the amorphous whisker isnt available anymore-this does not make them poor rods.there was a problem with the srx which is why it was pulled from production.many people are raving about the century carbon metals,yet not so long ago a lot of local anglers and uksf members who were using century rods also suffered unexplained and continual breakages and yet century refused to accept any responsibility,claiming that they must have been used for "unsuitable puropses"-obviously taking a rod with TOURNAMENT written on it to a casting tournament is considered unsuitable.i have used my nitra every trip this year and given it some hammer and it has performed perfectly.
it is also often written that the old daiwa whisker kevlar rods were prone to unravelling at the tip after a while and yet the one i bought second hand nearly 10 years ago is still in perfect condition,so it isnt really fair to write off a range because of a few problems which are normally sorted by the manufacturer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts