World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two Greys rods, pz match and the supro. Tonys tackle has a great deal on both rods. They both have a casting weight of 5oz and are 13ft. I am looking for a rod around £150 that will give me a few extra yards, hopefully one of the above will do.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I previously talked to Tony Anderson at Greys about these rods. His answer was as follows:

Syntra 13' 6" is pure Reel Down Pendulum Casting Rod with soft tip (Match casting, small baits, small fish) but powerful enough clean/mixed ground
Supro - powerful, more through action than Syntra
Impulse - Similar to Syntra but only 13ft
PZ Match - Match fishing rod. Distance, scratching rod, soft bates

You can always phone Tony Anderson at Greys (number on the Greys website) - he is always very helpful and willing to discuss these rods. He is the rod designer I believe.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two Greys rods, pz match and the supro. Tonys tackle has a great deal on both rods. They both have a casting weight of 5oz and are 13ft. I am looking for a rod around £150 that will give me a few extra yards, hopefully one of the above will do.
Go with the supro mate, I have a pair that use for all my clean ground fishing. The pz match does not get such good reviews.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
just had a telephone conversation with tony anderson this morning. he will answer any question and advise you on, 01665510020

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you decide to go for the Supro then be prepared for comments about your 'purple rod' ;)

FWIW, I've only had one for a couple of weeks but in that short time it has instantly become my favourite rod for clean ground fishing. So much so that my old daiwa AWB will now be spending most of it's time retired in the garage - although the silly prices they are fetching on ebay is nearly enough to tempt me to part with it...

There have been a lot of negative comments about the Greys range of rods in here (and other forums) in the past, but I can honestly say I am very impressed with my new toy. Even little finishing touches like the rod bag and reel seat add to the feeling that the product has been well thought out. Only time will tell how the rod stands up to years of use, but I am looking forward to finding out :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Can anyone put me in touch with Tony Anderson as I would like to pick his brains about some NE matches that I have to fish later this year.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Have never used the supro but have 2 pz matches which are good for fishing clean ground with decent bite detection they are rated for 5oz but I have found they work better with 4oz + bait. Coupled with a 6500 they can cast a good distance with not too much effort.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Can anyone put me in touch with Tony Anderson as I would like to pick his brains about some NE matches that I have to fish later this year.
tony is away till the end of the month. but if you ring greys on 01665510020 someone wil tell you the date he will be available

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The supro is a very user friendly rod. I'm mostly using mine with 4oz on the end and 20lb straight through. I feel as if I'm over powering the rod a bit with 5ozs but it's probably my imagination. I distance caster reported 240yds with the rod and 4 1/2 ozs as 5 did slightly overpower it for that sort of caster. It's very much a fishing rod in my opinion. For mixed ground too. Bite detection is fine for me. I don't like match type sensitivity. I have moved small rocks with it so I've no worry about it's strength. It took all I could give it. Some people are put off by the low weight but I find it a pleasure to use - the strength comes from the tapers. Casting wise it matches my amorphous whisker match rod for me and is if anything easier to use.

On the comments about the syntra. From greys listing it should be a moderate step up from a supro. It's an entirely different kettle of fish much much more of a casting rod even with 6ozs on it. Came as a shock the 1st time I tried it. I much prefer my AA beach.

Can't comment on the match rod as I don't own one.

I would use all of the rods I've mentioned on rough ground. Especially the beach.

John

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
have got to use my supro a few times,and as said before,feels a little overpowered when casting 5oz + bait with any effort,would say it's ok for mixed ground as well,but would'nt want to use it on rough at all.prefer my tt match as it's more stable and detects bites better,but still a good rod for clean ground and up to mild/moderate seas,with enough backbone to not go all floppy at the slightest hint of hard work:)

G

·
I use a Syntra, lovely rod, easy to cast, and has enough for mixed ground, use mine for most things including rays. one of the best rods i've used.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well this thread seems to have been resurrected after a couple of months, which gives me the opportunity to comment further about the Supro, which I have now used since March.

The sliding reel seat has been faultless since day one. The rod bag still makes me smile and wonder why other rod manufactures don't supply something similar, and the rod itself has become my favourite rod - consigning a brand new CccLd and and old favourite AWB to the 'subs bench' in the process. Of course, rods are very much a personal thing, and finding one that just feels right for you can take a while. I would mirror the comments about the rod feeling overpowered if you use 6oz or 5oz plus big bait, but it can still cope under such circumstances. I've been lucky enough to catch some good fish on it, including shore caught tope and bull huss and it has handled all fish without problem. It looks and feels like you shouldn't take it anywhere other than a clean sandy beach, but it surprised me by being able to cope with much rougher ground than I expected. It is not suitable for real rough ground fishing, but it isn't meant to be.

Quite simply, I find it a very nice rod to fish with, and one that surprised me at how versatile it can be. I still think it's a shame that it is purple :D

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Can't add much to all the pro-Supro detail on here already, just my own vote.

I bought 2 Supros earlier in the year and I just cannot fault them.

Casting 3-4oz is like firing a sniper rifle — even for an untrained chucker like me, I put 50% on my distance in a couple of weeks.

Not as tippy as a match rod, stable in winds/seas but super-sensitive to bites ... it's one of those that as soon as you wave the blank about a bit you know you're holding a good un.

Also, if necessary, they're more than happy to take a fixed spool.

I wouldn't swap them for the world, not even Zippys.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
On the "overpowering" bit. I think it's largely down to the rod being a bit more throughy in the tip than the other rods I've been using for some time now. It just feels different and maybe needs a slightly later release point. My main reason for fishing with 4 at the moment is weight. One can walk a long way to fish in Pembrokeshire. I've only had 5ozs on it once.

Bite wise I think it's perfect. It just trembles in the wind and a 3ins fish at 80yds in very deep water gave about 1ins of tip movement. That's an easy fishing distance with fixed spool, 20lb line, a 4oz lead and a very unaerodynamic end rig. I can send it further.

Strength wise I've bent the spindle on a fixed spool reel with it twice. Fortunately I always wind the spool right back in before I give it any stick with the rod vertical so it was easily straightened. Also note that this rod doesn't have a reflective tip. It really is suitable for hand held use - the ultimate smoothy rock rod or bass at a pinch if it came to it.

Beware though the syntra is in the hero's rod league. Sad really because all Greys would have needed to do is put a little bit more carbon in the supro and retained it's action.

John

·
Registered
488 Posts
The supro is a very user friendly rod. I'm mostly using mine with 4oz on the end and 20lb straight through. I feel as if I'm over powering the rod a bit with 5ozs but it's probably my imagination. I distance caster reported 240yds with the rod and 4 1/2 ozs as 5 did slightly overpower it for that sort of caster. It's very much a fishing rod in my opinion. For mixed ground too. Bite detection is fine for me. I don't like match type sensitivity. I have moved small rocks with it so I've no worry about it's strength. It took all I could give it. Some people are put off by the low weight but I find it a pleasure to use - the strength comes from the tapers. Casting wise it matches my amorphous whisker match rod for me and is if anything easier to use.

On the comments about the syntra. From greys listing it should be a moderate step up from a supro. It's an entirely different kettle of fish much much more of a casting rod even with 6ozs on it. Came as a shock the 1st time I tried it. I much prefer my AA beach.

Can't comment on the match rod as I don't own one.

I would use all of the rods I've mentioned on rough ground. Especially the beach.

John
20lb straight through!!! Jeeeez' wouldnt want fish along side you, thats a danger to anyone within 150yds, wiseup fella. Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts