World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post a quick thread congratulating greys on outstanding service. Emailed Greys to tell them my reel seat on my appollo slips - straight away they sent me a new reel seat. I know theres a lot of negative stuff on here about greys, but cant fault their service.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am a big fan of Greys, but am still in the 'undecided' camp when it comes to sliding reel seats. I bought a Greys Supro a while back (a rod I have become very fond off !!!) and added a coaster to the fuji sliding reel seat that came with it, mainly to act as a trigger. This has made it much more secure and it has not moved once in the couple of months that I have been using it.

One thing I was impressed with was the rod bag that it came with. Perhaps I am easily pleased, but I thought it was a nice touch. Well done Greys :)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I am a big fan of Greys, but am still in the 'undecided' camp when it comes to sliding reel seats. I bought a Greys Supro a while back (a rod I have become very fond off !!!) and added a coaster to the fuji sliding reel seat that came with it, mainly to act as a trigger. This has made it much more secure and it has not moved once in the couple of months that I have been using it.

One thing I was impressed with was the rod bag that it came with. Perhaps I am easily pleased, but I thought it was a nice touch. Well done Greys :)
Can't knock the ...unconditional lifetime original owner guarantee either.:clap3:
Any other manufacturers offer anything similar ?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think reel seat slip is a common problem on all makes of rod. It certainly was on century last year. I have no problem with fixed spool reels because the foot of the reel is so thick.
I would suggest people with abu's epoxy a few layers of pop can etc to the base of the seat or add packing to the reel seat itself. ABU should provide some slip on plastic bits. Fat chance - this was mentioned on here last year and the comment about century came from a dealer.

I think me supro's are wonderful too. :)

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just took my newer supro out and had a bit of a surprise. The sliding reel seat is a much tighter fit on the butt. I could have done with a bit of water to ease getting it into position. It's quite tight. So greys at least are trying to do something about it.

I don't see why fuji doesn't split the seat under the screwed part so that the whole thing closes up when the reel is tightened. Instead of that all makes assume that the pressure from the reel seat alone will hold the things in place. I also turn them around so that pressure on the reel via the line tightens the grip.
The penn ones clamp to the butt at both ends but they are far too cumbersome and awkward to hold for me. (and others).

The main problem though is abu reel seats - it isn't too good on their own rods either. Shows how much uk shore fishing counts - there's no problem on a spinning rod with a glued in place screw winch fitting. So why should they bother adding a couple of bits of plastic?

In short the whole arrangement has been given the usual amount of detailed thought.

John

·
Registered
462 Posts
Same as above the pair of PZ matches i had the reel seat would slip only used them teice and swapped one solt the other

on the other hand i think reel seats are alot better than the old coasters so we cant grumble

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think abu aught to be providing pieces of plastic that slip on to their reel seats and stop in place. I also can't see why the sliding seat shouldn't be split so that there are 3 points of contact rather than just two when the reel is fitted.
Personally I think the only problems with coasters are plastic ones and people not doing them up tightly enough. I love sliding reel seat though - it means I can use both types of reel on good well rung rods.

John

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just thought I'd post a quick thread congratulating greys on outstanding service. Emailed Greys to tell them my reel seat on my appollo slips - straight away they sent me a new reel seat. I know theres a lot of negative stuff on here about greys, but cant fault their service.
The tip of my GRX-S broke a week after buying it. I'm still unsure how it happened, perhaps a previous fracture. As I was putting my other GRX-S in the car I adjusted the holdall, heard a crack & when I checked the rod noticed the tip had broken about 6" from the end.

The shop got the rod next day & just 6 days later (incl a w/e) I had a new tip - cracking service, no questions asked, no cost either of course! :clap3:

Just have to figure out how it happened now :unsure:

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
cant fault greys my tip ring on the apollo cracked ,took it to the nearest greys dealer which is a fly specific shop and they sent to greys for the ring and fitted it (NO CHARGE FOR ANYTHING):):)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I had a ring break on a Greys Prodigy Float rod and Greys asked me to cut up the section and return. Within a week of despatch (from Germany) of the damaged bit, I had a new section delivered directly from Greys. That's super fast given the time it takes for post to and from UK to Germany. (No charge also).

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
i use 8000c's on my greys platinum and nitra, the reels have a small reel seat and just need that little bit extra weight on when tightening up on the sliding seat,
if you have a spare reel seat or take the seat off your reel, get some small diameter, electricians shrink tube, about 12mm will do, slip it on and cut it over length about 5mm, warm it with a blow torch or over the gas ring, watch the tube until it just starts to grip the seat, take off the heat and cool it, then trim the excess back to the edge of the seat. take it off and repeat to do as many as you feel necessary. just slip a pair on your reel seat when your tackling up, make some spares coz you might tend to forget and loose a one. quick easy and cheap fix and does the biz when your lookin for some extra weight against the sliding seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts