World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've asked this elsewhere but not really got any good answers. I've lived in Grimsby all my life and spent a good part of the last decade carp fishing. Ive just got myself a beach rod and fancied trying to do a bit of sea fishing with it but am clueless about where to go and what the rules are on where you can fish, could anyone give me some good locations in Grimsby to head to please? Also will my Shimano baitrunner reel do 'for now' with a beach rod, or will the saltwater not agree with it?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hi guys, I've asked this elsewhere but not really got any good answers. I've lived in Grimsby all my life and spent a good part of the last decade carp fishing. Ive just got myself a beach rod and fancied trying to do a bit of sea fishing with it but am clueless about where to go and what the rules are on where you can fish, could anyone give me some good locations in Grimsby to head to please? Also will my Shimano baitrunner reel do 'for now' with a beach rod, or will the saltwater not agree with it?
No idea of venues in Grimsby.
Your baitrunner won't really be any use mate, you could use it of course, but personally i wouldn't, the saltwater won't do too much damage but, it isn't really strong enough, my first beach rod was a Ron Thompson combo, beach rod with fixed spool reel, still using it actually when i fish beaches, cost about £50 for the combo if i remember rightly, look here for some sensible combo deals https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/ oh, i just noticed you said you have a rod, just look for a cheapish sea reel for that.

You can fish pretty much anywhere that you can access, unless it's clearly signed that you can't fish there :)

There aren't too many rules (yet) to sea angling, there is size limits you must abide by when taking fish to eat though heres a link to a size table http://www.sea-fishing.org/nfsa-size-limits.html

There's a heap of good articles on this site that'll help you get the idea mate.

HTH

AL ..

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
your baitrunner should be fine.... i just got a shimano 6500 baitrunner in florida for sharking, got a smoothound & a ray on it last night.... check out my report on N/E forum.... i,m in humberston but i don,t bother with the wall in summer... try chapel point or any of the beaches near mablethorpe or skeg in the summer for smoothounds and rays & bass too.... i,ve had a few bass at Anthony,s bank as well as cleethorpes beach near the big wheel.... Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool thanks guys. Mablethorpe / Skeg are a bit too far out for me (don't drive) But I often walk my dog along the beach next to the Humberstone 'Fitties'? is that what its called? :) So was thinking if its allowed I might go try somewhere down that stretch next weekend. Got some rather dodgy peeler crab mix type bait off ebay, which will be fun to try :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Ok cool thanks guys. Mablethorpe / Skeg are a bit too far out for me (don't drive) But I often walk my dog along the beach next to the Humberstone 'Fitties'? is that what its called? :) So was thinking if its allowed I might go try somewhere down that stretch next weekend. Got some rather dodgy peeler crab mix type bait off ebay, which will be fun to try :)
Hehe no offence mate, but if in your words, your bait is "dodgy" you're setting yerself up to be disappointed :)
Go to your local tackleshop and get 50 fresh worms, either Lug or Rag and some "Party Squid" tip the hook with the squid, bait the hook with the worms, you'll have a much better chance of a bite than with any bait off of e-bay, nowt worse than a blanker :)

AL ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Walked my dogs on the beach again today at high tide and found someone fishing there in crazy winds! Spoke to him for a few mins, turns out it is Humberston Creek :) (thanks to that guy whoever it was) So i feel more confident that I wont be thrown off the beach for fishing there now:D

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
your comment about "will catch them off guard" does not apply to sea fish. You probably were on first name terms with the carp you caught so they were wary at having to see you again..... out in the sea you will find that, given the vast area in which they can roam, you are never likely to form much of a friendship with any fish.
Sea fish are not bait shy, apart from mullet which are a law unto themselves.
I think the fish there would be far more likely to take lugworm..... it is what they expect to find on that coast.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Walked my dogs on the beach again today at high tide and found someone fishing there in crazy winds! Spoke to him for a few mins, turns out it is Humberston Creek :) (thanks to that guy whoever it was) So i feel more confident that I wont be thrown off the beach for fishing there now:D
your ok to fish any where along there.. just be carefull of the sandbanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts