World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been following vl 1500's thread and can identify with all of it . The desire, the trepidation,self-doubt,and ultimately the relief,soon turning to absolute satisfaction that has been a constant companion thru' out the saga! Now I'm in that same spot. Tomorrow I collect my new P&J , a very nice Seahog Hunter .I will be doing the R.Y.A. level 2 course soon as poss , should have been this week , but the quest for a suitable vessel took me down some wrong turns - best-laid plans an' all that , eh?

This is where I throw myself upon you good folks mercy ,and grovellingly ask for any tips as to where would be a suitable spot for a first outing with regard to ease of launch , recovery,parking and owt else that merits consideration. I am in Manchester ,been thinking about North Wales , somewhere I can get a bit of light tackle mackerel-bashing in as well as getting a feel for the Admirals Barge without venturing too far over the horizon! Any clubs or official/un-official gangs of like -minded souls out there with the patience to allow a sprog such as me self to tag along ?

Shoulda done this years ago,but better late, I s'pose.I know I'm going to get a lot of pleasure out of this boat malarkey , but I must'nt lose sight of the risks and all ,
that could spoil my whole day !!Anyone know of any website that list launch facilities etc., done a few websearches but did'nt come up with a great deal , and what was there did'nt have much relevance to the fishing point of view .

Also looking to hear of from anyone who has taken a boat to the Isle of Man.
That is a long-held dream of mine, might just be able to pull it off now!All tales devoured with relish , even tall or fishy ones !!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You called Pooch?

Welcome to the mad house, my advice for what it is worth......

Boatlaunch.co.uk for the majority of slipways.

While you are there take a look at Ronnies at Caernarfon. Tractor launch and recover for £10 including parking for car and trailer. Ideal for a first launch as you are into deep water with nothing to hit. Get the feel of the boat before getting too adventurous. There is a buoyed channel over the bar so once you find your feet there are mack, bass, bream, rays, huss, pollack, etc all within 2 miles of the slip.

I live 1/2 mile from this slip and will take my boat out at the same time if you want company/safety. Drop me a PM if you are interested and want to set up a meet.

Sea Hog is a bit small to go to the IOM unless the weather is really settled. 60 mile trip and a lot can go wrong. Best if you go in company with a couple of other boats in case of difficulty if you are set on it. It would also be a good idea if you hired a liferaft or took an inflatable with you partially inflated on the deck if the worst happened as well as all the usual safety gear. Don't forget a waterproof handheld for backup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:D WOW!!
Mighty impressive response !With what youse guys have said already , I'm off an' runnin'! Will take a pike at suggested websites , and note any sage advice. Wish some of the other forums I use were as freindly and helpful as this 'un. Any other Seahog Hunter owners care to share their views on these fine (because I got one !) craft ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I fish around anglesey in my 16' cjr treath bychan has a good slipway but is very popular at weekends so midweek is best my mate has a hunter and it's a brilliant boat
last week i had mackies, gurnard, tope, whiting, bull huss all within 10 mins from launch site all i need now is some good wreck marks and i can try for the bigger stuff saving for a chrt plotter as we speak

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you are just concentrating at this stage on trying the boat out - i.e. launching, testing the engine, experimenting, recovering the boat, then I fully recommend a lake first time out - somewhere like Windermere. You don't have any tides to bugger you around, no waves (to speak of) and you get a good slipway and parking area to think about things beforehand. If you're desperate or a bit of fishing first time out and also giving the engine a blast, then this will be no good but for just trying to unjderstand the launch and the boat at this stage, I reckon that you couldn't do too much better. Also pretty close to Manchester

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Must admit , I did think about a lake launch , but thought that Windermere and it's like woulda been out of the question due to issues such as permits, licences, etc., plus it seems like boats are becoming a bit public enemy number one up in t' lakes just now , what with speed restrictions and such .But , the attraction of going to sea is not only can I let rip a little if conditions allow , (65 of Mr. Suzukis finest nags nailed to a Seahog !) , but I dearly want to fish , all my charters this year have been blown off . Anyhoo , we all secretly know deep-down , fresh water is only for flushing th'***** !!!

And if you put to sea , theres no hassle from those beatniks tearing around in steam launches !I figure that if I keep my commonsense switched on , (rare!!) ,I don't push my luck , I should be able to get a little fishing done thereby justifying the expense of becoming a boat owner . It did cross my mind about the the Scottish lochs , pike fishing sprang readily to mind , tho' . Hmmmmm.....

Cheers guys ... :)

FB-D.

If knowledge truly is power , explain the Government ,then...............

·
Registered
45 Posts
read this with interest as I own a hunter.only had it since january .being a complete novice to boats and outboards I was wary about taking to the sea,so I registered the boat for Loch Lomond (no tides to worry about but some big waves),still to venture out to sea 7 months later .nothing wrong with some pike fishing now and again.i've just put a 40hp tohatsu on the back and it flies wouldn't like to see it with a 65 on it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your Hunter flies with a 40 , Oby , all I can think of is ..."Man I just done gone bought me a goddamn hotrod !" Ahhh, it'll prob'ly be O.K., I won't be knocking the bo*&^%ks off it ,that's fer sure .I am itching to get to sea with it,but not so much as I am likely to go off ill-prepared. Will be doing the R.Y.A. level 2 course soon as poss ,but may just have to do a little launch/recover exercise first , just to see if the seafaring spirit is within me - after all we are allegedly a seafaring nation . we'll see......

FB-D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Last year I had a sea Hog, I live in Shrewsbury and towed it over to Wales each trip, what a pain ! Takes for ever and all that tying down, making safe etc cuts into fishing time, I use Pwhelli, 24 hour access to the water, you can launch and retreive at any state of the tide.
This year I am using Ian Russel, he stores the boat, and launches and retrieves you as you want, you just climb on board, sit down and wait till your afloat... I keep meeting up with a guy from Manchester, keeps hitting the Tope big time..

·
Registered
701 Posts
oby said:
read this with interest as I own a hunter.only had it since january .being a complete novice to boats and outboards I was wary about taking to the sea,so I registered the boat for Loch Lomond (no tides to worry about but some big waves),still to venture out to sea 7 months later .nothing wrong with some pike fishing now and again.i've just put a 40hp tohatsu on the back and it flies wouldn't like to see it with a 65 on it
If you do a RYA level 2 course, you will feel better about going to sea, Then it's just practise.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The Level 2 is a practical course, it is done on a boat on the water so the answer to that will be a no. If you take a look at the RYA site there are some that can be done by distance learning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts