World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from Eastern Approaches. Not much about but tried out groundbait in a feeder. Worried by hordes of Pouting. I'm not saying they were small but even the Herons were throwing them back! Interesting on a feeder rod, 'though I had to go down to a size 4 (no not 4/0!) to really hook them consistently. Used Sardine oil and Ultrabite to mix the Halibut meal and breadcrumb with a little shellfish meal mixed in. Also used a small, 2", compressed polyester and cotton devices I bought in Boots, soaked in oil, which laid a good scent trail for a while. Hard to tell if it was successful as I did not hook anything big (lost one good fish but losses don't count - their spelling's pretty bad too!) Shall continue however as I'm up in the Swellies this weekend.

Does/has anyone else out there ever used/use groundbait FROM THE SHORE?

One angler told me that he fished with someone who used Pig's liver as bait and sprayed it with WD40. I've heard of the latter but how do you keep the former on the hook? Surely bait elastic will just tear through it if it's uncooked, and somehow it doesn't make sense to use it cooked (even with onions and gravy!) Shall try pushing liver through a sieve and mixing that in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi swelly, i have tried using groundbait from the shore but quite a long time ago ...it was while i was fishing at a venue called MWYNT on the cardigan coast..we caught a few wrasse but exactly how much catching them had to do with the grounbaiting im not sure, but im certain if you were fishing a rock mark for wrasse and put a load of old fish guts etc into a small onion bagtied to a lenth of rope and chucked that in it would surely attract some fish.

we use this method in summertime out on the boats ...where we tie an onion sack filled with minced fish guts etc to the anchor and it seems to work on the doggies and rays. all i can say is give it a go ...what have you to lose m8........tight lines.........TAFFY.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you describe is usual from a boat, the old Rubby-dubby sack lowered down the anchor rope. I'm sure on a rock mark with slow moving deepish water close to shore it would work. It's sure to attract the crabs anyway and who knows this would in turn attract the fish. Thanks for the encouragement.

My original ideas are simply a way of not blanking so often. It seems to me that these days big fish in any numbers are a rarity (for me that is!) so why not fish deliberately for smaller ones which might be easier to put 'on the feed' so to speak. This activity might then attract larger predators and all our fish are predators. In fact the little Pouting I was catching earlier this week would have made great livebait for Bass which was another reason I bought a freshwater type rod in the first place! The groundbait is simply in response to reading 'Improve your Coarse Fishing' although I only fish in salty water! Got to learn all the time hav'nt you!

Just realised that I'd definitely have to buy fish to make rubby-dubby as I never catch enough to use the guts! Now ...... groundbait to attract more ..... which came first, the fish or their guts?!

·
Registered
325 Posts
on neap tide estuary fishing,i used to work with a chap who got various scent oil's and mashed up mackerel etc in a bucket and left a large car washing type sponge in with it overnight, then in the morning put the sponge and guts mix in an onion sack with half a breezeblock, and that would be placed in the estuary where he was fishing,he swore it was a killer method,i wouldnt like to try it on a spring tide it might just wash everything upstream, but if this computer carries on playing up i might use it instead of the block next time i'm down loughor.
dog hop

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks a lot. See other people do try things. Someone this week said that a mate dug holes in the mud (on an estuary) at low water, and as they retreated up the beach, and buried 'stuff' which presumably would be disinterred by crabs and perhaps flounders. He obviously tried to cast on top of the buried, (literally) ground-bait. I used to fish over where I'd been digging bait as a lad. As I see it unless the attractors are actually on or very near the hookbait a good tide will just spread it about, rather than allow the fish to swim down a scent trail. I've also tried PVA bags.

The boyos to give us the answers are the carp gang who also fish in the sea. Perhaps they'll think we have to find out for ourselves?

T

·
0 Posts
swelley your fishing the wrong beaches mate let me know when your this way and will tell you where to go

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I have tried beach-groundbaiting. At LW you dig a series of 6" deep pits and bury a couple of handfuls of minced gubbins in each. I mince up mackerel heads after a successful summer's bash and mix with flour and sunflower oil. As the tide comes in the bigger swells start to disturb the seabed and tiny particles of food waft around.

A catch of 20 whiting at Tywyn one night in 2002 was achieved using this method, the downside being the 30+ dogfish that it also brought in! On another evening it created such a pool of doggies that I was forced to move away from the groundbaited area and immediately got into whiting. Perhaps its biggest application is as a dogfish-diverter!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
325 Posts
at last, something quite sensible about the way not to haul in a load of dogfish, just make them think something is going on further up the beach,dogfish attractant, now theres a thing,perhaps ultra bait could quite literally clean up with that one,copywrite it quick.brilliant.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Thanks for your responses lads. I'm intrigued to find out about the 'wrong sorts of beaches' (British rail speak?!) However the 'right' sort of beach is anywhere where I manage to catch. The Bass have been replaced in the Swellies by dogfish I thought but now I find out its the groundbait i'm using. Mind you, I don't mind patting the lesser spotted on its head when nothing else seems to be interested, helps to re-build the confidence after blanking so often! Fancy sunflower oil doing the trick. I've just thought, I could get hold of some used oil from the chippy, get them used to the smell!!!!!!!

Will be fishing the swellies tomorrow and sunday, mother and wife permitting! Talk to you next week.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Indeed!

You have to remember that doggies eat all sorts of rotting gubbins and go about in gangs. I've long suspected that other fish (apart from tope) simply keep away when they're on the case. Tope are fairly messy eaters so they often shower a pile of stuff down for the doggers below on chomping up a kill.

Luckily by the end of the month the doggers will mostly have moved offshore a little. This is the time here when a big bait can score with a cod. A lot of the rest of the time, bigger cod & bass must be driven to distraction by dogfish that a) they don't want to eat and b) eating everything they do want to eat!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a great response! I thought your description of Dogfish was also applicable to many Anglers I know when on a trip to strange places...
"You have to remember that doggies eat all sorts of rotting gubbins and go about in gangs."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts