World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
I need to make a grp fuel tank and need advice on what lay up/thickness? I was going to make it out of flat sheet and tape the joins.any thoughts please?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
easy to make make.

i use melamine board to make a mould and then gel it out and use 1 layer of 1.5oz and 3 layers of 2oz mat.

then add some baffles with holes in and glass them in.

once thats done sand it all down and flowcoat it out.

then make a flat lid. flowcoat the underside and glass it on.

once glassed on mask it off and flow coat the top.

then you'll need to cut a square hole out and make a glass lid to screw over the hole which is then screwed on with sikaflex.

that becomes and inspection hatch if you ever need to get inside the tank.

and don't for get to fit you pick up , vent and return pipes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers gary,for the pick up can i just use copper pipe or is there a kit from asap or somewhere?i I also need to fashion a cap,return pipe and breather.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
cheers gary,for the pick up can i just use copper pipe or is there a kit from asap or somewhere?i I also need to fashion a cap,return pipe and breather.
you can buy a fitting that has the fuel take off pipe , return vent and fuel filler cap from these people

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...3vAjMhjQtiGo1ULyQ&sig2=hlonmLfxXdGSJj1rGIsIcQ

all you need to do is cut out a round hole and then fit the round fitting to the top of your tank with stainless screws.

fuel pipe you can cut to length when you fit it.

may be best to phone them and tell them what your doing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
resize tank.jpg it was a tek tank in there,trying to put something bigger but limited on space.my mate wants it done fast and tek tanks said it would take 3 weeks for a non standard one.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
make up the tank then and unscrew the fitting thats already in the tank and replace the pick up pipe for a longer one.

job done.

tek tanks are good and i know they are always busy.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
will the baffles have to run both ways?
personally i would say yes to stop any fuel slopping about.

make sure you put 50mm holes in the baffles and cut the corners off the bottoms of the baffles and put a half circle in the centre of each baffle at the bottom.

when you fit the baffles bring them up to about and inch from the top. no need to fit them flush to the top as you cant glass them to the underside of the top any way.

you don't need to go mad putting lots of 50mm holes in.

4 or 5 would be enough in each baffle.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
also if you can make the tank so the bottom has a slight V and run to the rear to allow the fuel to run down to that point when it gets low and then fit the pick up pipe to that area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts