World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the glutten for punishment that I am I offered to take Andy out to a wreck or two for a bash at the Cod :wacko:

The wreck I wanted to get to was 17 miles out and conditions didn`t look that great as we headed out the marina. Stoped off at a wreck 10 miles out and it didn`t seem to bad,no fish there so we ploughed on out and the swell got bigger but we battled on with the thought of plenty of Cod in mind.
Made it to the wreck and on the drift it wasn`t too bad and it didn`t take long (first drift iI think) befor a Cod was in the net. Andy got a lesson on rigging up and using a shad as a hopper and soon got into the cod and got his PB of around 7lb . don`t know how many we had but it must have been over 20.

One of Andy`s Cod..

Moved to another wreck with the hope of some nice Pollack but it only had small ones on and we headed back towards the marina.
Stopped off at another wreck on the way which I know has some nice Bass on at times and pulled off a small one along with another Cod for myself and one for Andy.
Last drift of the day saw me get hit by what I was hoping was a big Bass only to be a 10lb Pollack :doh:..

Another marathon filleting session at the marina when I got back and after the lot me and Ron had on Wednesday I don`t want to fillet another Cod for a while..

Alan

G

·
Hi Alan

Well done on another successful session and well done for persevering with you know who.

You know who -Well done for finally getting a successful day wrecking!!!!

Tom
Ps When you get bored filleting Alan, the Cod go back just fine.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well done fellas,good fishing and a nice few fillets in the freezer :thumbs:And Andy welcome to the braid fan club at last :1a:.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Nice one Alan.
Some cracking fish and a bit of a result for Andy.
We will be giving it a go on Sunday. May try a bit of live baiting inshore under the cliffs very early, then anchor up on some rough later on.
Dont fancy doing a long trip till we are 100% sure the engine will play the game, fingers crossed.
It looked like it blew up a bit this afternoon, but the forecast looks great for the weekend.

Cheers

Raider

·
HARDCORE POSTER NUTS ABOUT FISHING
1,180 Posts
well done on the fishing m8ty if you get fed up with the fish just pass them on to me my fish stocks are running low even after the fish the other day

tight lines

mark

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi ...alan is without a doubt..the tolerant and patient chap i know...i take my hat off to him...i just dont know how he puts up with me, like he does for so long..i owe him a huge debt of gratitude and a massive thanks for today..
the session today was my most productive and best day ever boat fishing ..i made so many mistakes alan was screaming at me..but..in the end it came right..i just cannot believe how much hard work it was my wrist aches..but wow..i caught some fish that wern`t pout looking...

the methods alan said use on any giving wreck were spot on .and caught the said species..i lost a few of alans lures...well a lot actually..

the big pollock of alans just blew my mind ( not hard to do)..i have never seen a fish like it.. total magic...alan..you are the man...

it was also a day of firsts for me..
the furthest i have been out,the lumpest i have been out in.a pb cod to christen my new rod and braid with...

i also realised why they call it wrecking..i am totaly wrecked myself ..but happy...andy..(how could you not remember my name tom..)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice report and pics Alan.

Well done Andy on your pb cod - looks like you both had rather a good day again, maybe one of these days the weather will match my days off and i'll get some eh? Bit more limited than Alan due to the size of the boat, it'll come good soon i hope - well done again guys.

Mark

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice report and pics Alan.

Well done Andy on your pb cod - looks like you both had rather a good day again, maybe one of these days the weather will match my days off and i'll get some eh? Bit more limited than Alan due to the size of the boat, it'll come good soon i hope - well done again guys.

Mark
Most small boats can get out out to wrecks around the 10 mile mark on a nice day no problem. You don`t need to go over the horizon in a big boat to catch fish.
It`s just a matter of learning what fish are where at different times of the year and the best and most productive ways of fishing for them.

Don`t read to much into what the armchair experts say about you must use this method to fish for this species and you must go at this or that state of tide, to me it`s all cobblers!!! At the end of the day how do they know?? did a fish tell them??Just get out there and fish as much as you can and you will learn how YOUR marks fish which may well be totaly different from someone fishing 100 miles up the coast.
Of course there are some rules you need to follow for the species you want,like if you want Plaice then its no good fishing on top of a load of rock ect.
Get out here and keep trying and you will learn from every trip,even the ones you blank on.

Best advice for anyone new to sea fishing is local EXPERIANCED knowledge.
I`ve learnt methods of catching fish on inshore wrecks from listening to the locals you won`t find in any text book or forum!!

Alan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most small boats can get out out to wrecks around the 10 mile mark on a nice day no problem. You don`t need to go over the horizon in a big boat to catch fish.
It`s just a matter of learning what fish are where at different times of the year and the best and most productive ways of fishing for them.

Don`t read to much into what the armchair experts say about you must use this method to fish for this species and you must go at this or that state of tide, to me it`s all cobblers!!! At the end of the day how do they know?? did a fish tell them??Just get out there and fish as much as you can and you will learn how YOUR marks fish which may well be totaly different from someone fishing 100 miles up the coast.
Of course there are some rules you need to follow for the species you want,like if you want Plaice then its no good fishing on top of a load of rock ect.
Get out here and keep trying and you will learn from every trip,even the ones you blank on.

Best advice for anyone new to sea fishing is local EXPERIANCED knowledge.
I`ve learnt methods of catching fish on inshore wrecks from listening to the locals you won`t find in any text book or forum!!

Alan

All good advice Alan as usual, the lads in southsea angling club that we have joined this year all seem very nice and helpful - so hoping the local knowledge bit will kick in when we've shown our faces a little more often.

As for the "bit more limited" comment i made, that was more about the conditions we can actively go out in rather than the distance out mate, i'm sure we'll get there, Andy has shown that anyone can get there eventually - and you consistently show the results i can hopefully aim at once i'm a bit more experienced.

Again though, well done to you two on another good day out :D

Mark

G

·
I know they do Tom, right back into my chest freezer!! :)

Alan
Blimey Alan, you are starting to sound like Ron...

Well done on getting out and a good report and pictures.

I will be steaming out over the horizon tomorrow. Well about 500 yards off the low water mark..

Malcolm.

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi.....without a doubt i have learnt far far more from alan in the time i have known him..than all the books...vids ..and my 40 odd years in angling..its like starting over again....but this time ..im starting to catch and doing the right thing in the right place...its a real eye opener....simple things like drag settings and using the right knots and correct size and coloured lures...amazing..use this catch a cod..bingo worked .use this here catch a pollock..worked....bass and big pollock here..and alan promptly caught them...the skill of the man is amazing..for me the sight of that big pollock coming up by the boat will live with me a long while...but alan said..its a nice fish but not big..aaargh..angling is the most amazing sport ever..its not over in 90 minutes it dont take a dab of chalk and best of all.. there are not crowds to fight through...anglers are the best people... cheers andy.... ( i learning fast but my mistakes are get bigger..if they hold on to the hook long enough that is).

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
simple things like drag settings and using the right knots and correct size and coloured lures...amazing..use this catch a cod..bingo worked .use this here catch a pollock..worked....bass and big pollock here..and alan promptly caught them...the skill of the man is amazing..
I don`t know about the amazing bit!!! But the key to success is the fish being there in the first place!!

No good using the right lures and technique ect if there are no fish where you are fishing.
This is where the local knowledge into it`s own. I hear from loads of guys who go out fishing then come back saying they just had a couple of pout but no Bass or Cod ect. The simple reason being that the fish simply are not there at that time of year.

Alan

·
Registered
144 Posts
I do have to ask though Alan, are you working a full 14 hour, 2 day week, lol - coz you never seem to fail to get out with the weather :fishing: - very hard for me and my mate to match up days off and weather together :sad:

Mark

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
hi.....without a doubt i have learnt far far more from alan in the time i have known him..than all the books...vids ..and my 40 odd years in angling..its like starting over again....but this time ..im starting to catch and doing the right thing in the right place...its a real eye opener....simple things like drag settings and using the right knots and correct size and coloured lures...amazing..use this catch a cod..bingo worked .use this here catch a pollock..worked....bass and big pollock here..and alan promptly caught them...the skill of the man is amazing..for me the sight of that big pollock coming up by the boat will live with me a long while...but alan said..its a nice fish but not big..aaargh..angling is the most amazing sport ever..its not over in 90 minutes it dont take a dab of chalk and best of all.. there are not crowds to fight through...anglers are the best people... cheers andy.... ( i learning fast but my mistakes are get bigger..if they hold on to the hook long enough that is).

andy
its great not to be hearing the i am going to be giving up posts any more

greg

ps could you ask alan to move to sovereign harbour and teach me how to do it, pedro could come down too and we could start a self help group!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well done Saint Alan.The time has now come for Andy to take you out on Nemo...You just sit back,relax,enjoy the day.....You are in good hands.:unsure:
Just thinking about it has made me come over in a cold sweat and got me reaching for my medication !!!.:help:

I think you should come as well Ron !!

Alan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts