World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,looking for my first bass, 2 questions.....what's best bait? And any marks around Cornwall where I can all but definitely catch bass on the right tide?

·
SW Shore Hunter
730 Posts
You can catch the ferry from the POW pier in Falmouth over to St. Mawes and another one from there to St. Anthony's head. Apparently there is a bass conservation or nursery thing over there and a few Schoolies to be caught i would of thought, maybe a few bigger ones but i'm not too sure and haven't tried it myself yet, but might be worth a go. For baits; live prawns, nice fat lug or king rag, live sand eels or frozen will work, a nice mackerel fillet and try spinning in the surf they hunt in the white water. Fish a clear bubble float, vary the trace/snood length till you find the fish and/or fish a 2 hook flapper on the bottom; off the beach.

Cheers Jackson.

·
Registered
246 Posts
@ Wattsy - don't know if you are in a club at all but Mawnan AC are down your way ( sorry don't have the details) - also try Andy in The Tackle Box in Falmouth, what he doesn't know about your local area isn't worth knowing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yeh I'm popping in to see Andy to get my bait tomorrow so will ask him!

At least I got some sensible replies but there's always one idiot ^^^^^ @fekallfish sea fishing in general is new to me so I joined the forum for help,having an idea of where the fish are helps not to waste my time.

·
Registered
25,235 Posts
Thanks, yeh I'm popping in to see Andy to get my bait tomorrow so will ask him!

At least I got some sensible replies but there's always one idiot ^^^^^ @fekallfish sea fishing in general is new to me so I joined the forum for help,having an idea of where the fish are helps not to waste my time.
There maybe too much freshwater in the estuarys at the moment,i should try a sandy beach at NIGHT with decent lugworm and sandeel running ledger and 2/0 hooks should winkle out a bass or two,sorry i cant really be helpfull on precise places to try anywhere between portloe and mevagissey should be worth a try be very carefull of the surf and dont take any risks,you DONT!!! need big waves and rough seas to catch bass!!!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@fekallfish........ I'm not afraid of looking for places to fish and finding spots mate I just don't want to be the idiot fishing somewhere that has no fish, I was just interested where bass would lurk so I can try and catch one!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently gylly and swanpool beaches have some bass around! Might be worth a try early morning!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just don't want to be the idiot fishing somewhere that has no fish
Welcome to our world! You will be that idiot many times over just like the rest of us. There are no quick fixes in fishing unless you buy a beam trawler lol! All you need is the right bait, in the right place at the right time. It sounds easy enough but try getting those three factors to come together all at once!

Take tonight for example, my partner MR CG was out bassing for 9 hours and only caught 2 bass. Bait was worm, tide was of a decent size and sea conditions were lumpy - all factors that would normally "guarantee" a stonking night's fishing at this particular venue. Mr came home and said " what's the definition of a fisherman> A lead on one end and a c**t on the other." Let's just say he wasn't too happy with himself lol.

A word to the wise though, if you follow Cfish's advice (above) you will not go far wrong.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm with cornishgirl on this one. I fish almost entirely for bass, and the reason they keep me fascinated is that -- even with decades of local knowledge -- you never can tell. I've fished with the right bait in a perfect wave on a perfect tide, and caught next to nothing (like CG). Equally, I've had trips to use up some half-gone bait in very unpromising conditions, and had terrific catches. I've been fishing 56 years, I only fish 5 or 6 spots, and I'm just STARTING to think I have some vague idea as to what might be going on at one or two of them.
If I could guarantee a bass on any given trip, I'd give up.
That said, one bit of advice that seems to help a lot of the folk I meet on Cornish marks: the bass, if they are feeding, generally will be closer to the shore than you think. I can't recall the last bass I caught at a range of more than 40 yards, and most are between 10 and 20 yards from shore -- especially the larger ones.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh, I see your point guys, I went out to try a new spot today for a few hours and blanked, other that small wrasse and crab stripping my worm nearly every cast! BUT.... At Least I was fishing blank or no blank I enjoy being out there! Thanks for your comments guys/girls!
Kev

·
Registered
25,235 Posts
Yeh, I see your point guys, I went out to try a new spot today for a few hours and blanked, other that small wrasse and crab stripping my worm nearly every cast! BUT.... At Least I was fishing blank or no blank I enjoy being out there! Thanks for your comments guys/girls!
Kev
The crab and wrasse problem tells me you were fishing on or near weed/rocks and also if it was wrasse then allmost certainly you were fishing in daylight=DARKNESS + SANDY BEACH + FLOODING TIDE=BASS.:thumbs: Least you got out fishing and keep trying.

·
Registered
25,235 Posts
The crab and wrasse problem tells me you were fishing on or near weed/rocks and also if it was wrasse then allmost certainly you were fishing in daylight=DARKNESS + SANDY BEACH + FLOODING TIDE=BASS.:thumbs: Least you got out fishing and keep trying.
I will private message you a couple of marks to try,fishing well recently:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes nice one cfish, I was down swanpool low tide so yeh, weed/rock and daylight lol

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Kev
everyone blanks, although I havent since mid september, u can follow all the rules of finding fish all the theory and find the perfect spot, trouble is 4 hours before its been netted or theres a net off it and youd never know, only way to find them is to keep at it and put the hours in, u may catch nothing and they are there.
for what its worth been getting them off deeper water marks recently,especially where its not so easy to get a boat in especially when its rough.
The shallower sandy rocky marks have been netted at 1st light religiously here for about 4 weeks plus. as has the headlands.
If your catching nothing may as well fish for a big fish and catch nothing, stick a macky head and entrails out and take a decent book to read and stay discrete.

·
Registered
25,235 Posts
everyone blanks, although I havent since mid september, u can follow all the rules of finding fish all the theory and find the perfect spot, trouble is 4 hours before its been netted or theres a net off it and youd never know, only way to find them is to keep at it and put the hours in, u may catch nothing and they are there.
for what its worth been getting them off deeper water marks recently,especially where its not so easy to get a boat in especially when its rough.
The shallower sandy rocky marks have been netted at 1st light religiously here for about 4 weeks plus. as has the headlands.
If your catching nothing may as well fish for a big fish and catch nothing, stick a macky head and entrails out and take a decent book to read and stay discrete.
Dont worry about static gillnets,unless a boat splashes around you then you still have a good chance of bass,recently i went bassing before and after someone shot a load of gear he had hauled literally a couple of hours before we fished he didnt do well but we hit a fair few on the rods,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts