World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just purchased a pack of these as the codling i caught recently had a few shrimps in its gut. Has anyone had any joy with them? And are crabs attracted to these artificial baits or will they leave them alone?

·
Registered
22,451 Posts
Hi all,
Just purchased a pack of these as the codling i caught recently had a few shrimps in its gut. Has anyone had any joy with them? And are crabs attracted to these artificial baits or will they leave them alone?
Dave

If you want a bait as a substitute for lug in the thames, get uncooked tiger prawns......Costco do big bag for about a fiver. They sit nicely on a 2/0 hook and survive a big cast. Back in 2008/9 when there were good numbers of cod in the river I used these when I didn't have lug and still caught codling and plenty of whiting. For me they are a better sub than squid but that's just personal opinion. Often it's better to get a smaller bait the distance to get down the shelf and reach the cod and to my mind a nicely presented tiger beats a big old lump of squid hands (or tentacles) down.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi miz git,

Im not looking for a lug subsitute, just trying to match the bait to what the fish are feeding on. I will definitely have to give the tiger prawns a go though, thanks for the advice. Now to find a costco lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.