World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a number of these recently on the Turbot Bank off Milford Haven.

So, Red Gurnard or Grey Gurnard?

It's not as intensely red as the pics of Red Gurnards that I've seen, and its not exactly Grey either.

What do you think?

(I really am the trainspotter of Sea Angling. I just have to get the right ID)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
deffo grey, you can tell by the week coloured fins and the little starry spots on the head, theres also tub gurnard aswell as red but its a grey.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It's a Grey Gurnard

The easy guide to Gurnards :

Tubs: have large pectoral fins that always have a blue edge to them and tend to be a yellow / brown in colour.

Red: are pretty much bright Red when first caught but dull to a pinkish orange soon after coming out the water.

Greys: always have a dark spot on the rear of the dorsal fin and their colouration can vary from a silvery grey to a dark red.

Streaked: tend to be similar colouration range to the Greys with a more steeply angled forehead, pectoral fins are huge and can have blue spots and/or a blue edge . They also have vertical ridges extending dorsally and ventrally from the lateral line.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hiya,

It's a Grey Gurnard

The easy guide to Gurnards :

Tubs have huge pectoral fins that always have a blue edge to them and tend to be a yellow / brown in colour.

Red are pretty much bright Red when first caught but dull to a pinkish orange soon after coming out the water.

Greys always have a dark spot on the rear of the dorsal fin and their colouration can vary from a silvery grey to a dark red.
Good stuff! Just to muddy the waters, there's also a streaked gurnard! You get these in the south, and we also had some when I lived on the IOM. They look rather like grey gurnards, but there are vertical ridges extending dorsally and ventrally from the lateral line, and on the pectoral fins there are deep blue spots, which almost look like bands

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Good stuff! Just to muddy the waters, there's also a streaked gurnard! You get these in the south, and we also had some when I lived on the IOM. They look rather like grey gurnards, but there are vertical ridges extending dorsally and ventrally from the lateral line, and on the pectoral fins there are deep blue spots, which almost look like bands
I didn't add the Streaked as they are generally pretty rare but will amend the easy guide accordingly :)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
That streaked gurnard is a lovely looking fish. I personally think that gurnards are one of the coolest looking fish we have around our shores, and have you seen how big they get....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hiya,

I didn't add the Streaked as they are generally pretty rare but will amend the easy guide accordingly :)
I work for a fish wholesaler that supplies its own fish with its own boat,the majority of the gurnards are streaked. The greys are the rarer ones and then tubs. Id say about 75% are streaked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts