World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

having found it hard to catch the legal 16" bass (whatever in cm) lately this season and having my fill of macks i wanna target another fish my palet agrees with - hence:

GURNARD

gimme the "low down" chaps

me thinks the Gurnard requires boats 'n' stuff

cheers all

·
Registered
447 Posts
na, dont need boats, caught two beautys at chesil last year, fish the landing craft (so in a way you do need a boat!!!!!!!!), good luck

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
hi homer ,caught a gurnard off LLandudno pier,very boneney fish.shaggy

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I've had most of mine off the boat on baited feathers mate, and the only ones I've caught on the shore have been on the same. They are pretty active predators, dossing about in the sand until something to chomp goes by. This they share with greater weevers. They'll follow a target high into the water if they think lunch is on the cards!

I'd try deepwater sandy ground marks and do slow-retrieve of feathers across this, speeding up once close in to avoid the rocks & kelp!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
568 Posts
All of my gurnards come from rocks fishing onto clean sand. They are very localised in my part of the world, certainly not widespread, so check that other anglers are catching them in your area first. Greys are the most prolific species where i fish, with a few tubs thrown in for good measure. Reds are very rare, and I'm sure there is another even rarer species that I'cant recall

Slivers of mackerel are my preferred bait - probabaly with a floaty bead to add movement and bouyancy. I've also had a few spinning but can't really target them using this method.

They are way to cute (in a pre-historic way) to kill :) and yes, they certainly look full of bones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks chaps - good quality replies!

i have some spots that fit your descriptions around my way so will try.

it would make my day catching one of those funky little monsters!

as for bones - on the contrary, they do have a strange skeleton but the fillets are amazing - ive eaten them in Russets fish restaurant in St.ives (and paid too much money for them - but hell my date was hot ;) )

thanks again lads

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi homer,

Have you looked at the excellent article on this site about fishing for gurnards? It covers all three types and gives a good steer on how to go after them. Click on home, fish species, fishing for gurnards.

Cheers

PS had a 3 pound tub gurnard yesterday from the boat over rocky ground on feathers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(red faced) for once i havent checked the site before posting - my mantra!

cheers bud - i will have a read.

out of interest, did you release the fellow or take him home to eat? i love them to eat.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi again homer,

Absolutely no worries mate - done exactly the same myself. I ate it!! Pan fried both fillets in a little butter and had it with new potatoes, green beans and most importantly a good chilled white wine. I agree with you totally that gurnard is one of the best eating fishes going. As you say it fillets beautifully and the fillets are totally bone free and take no cooking at all, just a minute on each side - wondefull.

Cheers for now and tight lines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts