World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing monday night had a nice dab. Not gut hooked but not hooked in the ideal position. This has happend to a few flatties this year. It can get quite annoying as the odd one does not go back as well as I would have liked I do a lot of coarse fishing and as you all know when we catch a fish that has taken the bait down we use a disgorger. These are so easy to use The biggest one i have still is not quite big enough to fit over a size 4 hook it is a shame because the forceps are quite hard to use do any of you know of a sea fishing disgorger?????

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I tend to cut the line and return when the hook's too deep in small fish as I've never been able to do the job well even with standard disgorger. Modern hooks seem to rust away, or so we're told. Would barbless hooks be better and have you tried them? As I seem to be attracting doggies at the moment I'm using long shanks and striking early (using braid which is pretty direct) I use a Rubber Shark which will cast 6oz but is light enough to hold even for a couple of hours.

Would long shank barbless be easier for us all? Do they make them in 1/0 to 4/0? I occasionally flatten the barb with pliers which makes extraction easier but I've seen long pointed hooks in the coarse fishing magazines but only small sizes.

Regarding foul hooked fish, i.e. in parts of head and gill covers, I've always considered that this is the result of using such 'long' baits, (Is'nt bait elastic wonderful!) and the fish are attacking the 'top' of the bait. Yes I know I should wait for the animal to get round to the 'proper' end!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
My friend & I know of a spot where you can catch loads of plaice at the right state of tide, unfortunately there are lots of small ones which give little indication that they are on, & when you check your bait they have gorged it, & getting the hooks out, initially ended in a lot of them not surviving.
We persevered with a technique using long artery forceps, insert the forceps in through the gills CAREFULLY, and out of the mouth.
Catch hold of the trace in the forceps, giving yourself a couple of inches of slack line, then pull the trace CAREFULLY back down through the gills.
This results in the hook turning through 180 degrees, with the bend of the hook now facing the fishes mouth, and the eye of the hook facing the tail.
Put the forceps into the mouth get hold of the hook by the bend, & out she comes sweet as a nut without damaging the fish.
Done CAREFULLY you can achieve almost 100% survival, you can even do it with fish you want to keep, you can then despatch the fish humanely, & get your hook back.
Try it, it really does work!
blueskip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts