World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

am wondering whether some1 can help me?

have read loads of books stating that gutted blacks are quite good for whiting/pouting. i always throw my worm away ( unless there's another fisherman nearby who would like it ), so am thinking of gutting them and freezing so I can use them again.

can someone give me some advice on how to do it? a clean way if possible as there will be some complaints if my family know whats inside the bottom drawer of the freezer!!!

most of the pictures i see are of the worms looking quite fat. if you gut them, surely all you have left id the skins!

hoping for some1 to solve my problem

thanks a lot

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate, when you.ve finished your session and have worms lft over get hold of the tail of the worm and using your thumb and forefinger of the other hand gently squeeze out the guts of the worm working from the tail down then wrap in dry news paper separately and freeze down the good thing about black lug is that the more it is defrosted and frozen the better it gets as bait

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
DW when I have finished fishing I take the WHOLE worms home with me & dump the "blown" or broken ones into the water.
I spread them out on newspaper (as thick as you like) and keep them separate, them I sprinkle salt on them, dont spread it on them too thickly, do it as if you are doing fish & chips, this will be enough to make them "bleed".
In the morning remove the wet newspaper sheets,replace with dry, turn the worms over & repeat the process with the salt, ( I do this 3 times until they are still moist, but have stopped "bleeding").
Now I line them up end to end across newspaper sheets (in rows about 2"-3" apart, lay a single sheet of mewspaper over the top, then roll it up like a Swiss Roll, stick it in a poly bag or clingfilm & its done.
They dont catch as well as fresh worm, but mixed with fresh or made into a cocktail they are ok. Especially when the forecast is good for 2moro, & the tackle shop doesn't open until 9 & you want to go at 6!
Fishing off a boat I find they are as good as fresh, but off the shore where fish are scarcer they dont seem to have the scent. I am looking for a suitable additive which doesn't cost more than Chanel No5 to mix with them

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldn't they be skins then. the pics i have seen are of the worms looking quite full. are they stuffed? i have heard some people putting the in sawdust and salt

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you gut them they look like brown/black condoms! salting them down leaves the guts inside to give them bulk when they thaw.
blueskip

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think I posted this a while back, but here goes again (an abbreviated version) a little tip for you all :)

1) LOTS of newspaper on the garage floor
2) line the lug (blow or black - works for both) up on the paper
3) COMPLETELY cover in salt and put a bit more newspaper on top
4) leave overnight (dream of big fish and/or Kylie)
5) next day, remove worms (which will be all shrivelled up) from the salt (brushing off excess), pack 'em in poly bags in suitable numbers and into the freezer with them.

Osmosis is the key - it draws all the water out of the worm which means that ice crystals do not form. It is the ice crystals that do the damage if you simply put the lugworm in the freezer without salting.

Gutting is a far less effective way of removing the water (all the yummy juices go with it) - I have no idea why gutting worms is so popular.

The really good news is that osmosis works both ways. This means that when you cast the salted worm seawards it absorbs water and returns to near normal size/shape.

Done properly, worms are on a par with fresh. I have caught plenty of fish on them and have 110% confidence in using them for anything that I would normally throw a fresh worm at. For some species (flatties esp) I even prefer the salted worms to fresh.

I have never seen this printed in a magazine - they probably couldn't fit the article in between all the dead fish pictures, archaic editorials, reviews on how good the sponsors tackle is and articles on how to cast 200 yards...

Would be interested to know if anyone else uses this method :)

G

·
0 Posts
freeze them in sea water in small take away containers, works well with prawns here in aussie so give it a try ol matey

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Its certainly a new one on me, but certainly one to try, "good on ya blue"!
blueskip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts