World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here is last nights report got to moggs about eleven it was breezy but the rain cleared when i got there set up my gear fished a 2/0pennell pulley at distance loaded with fresh peeler and a second rod close in with a two hook flapper loaded with rag, bluey or mackeral. nothing happened for two hours then i was graced with a decent sized dab on the pulley rig then nothing until just after 5 o clock when the the pulley rig went mental i nearly wet myself put up hell of a scrap but i teased it to with in ten feet of the shore when it broke surface and i could see a dorsal fin then it threw a right paddy shaking its head and then the line went slack and the rod tip sprung skyward and then it was gone my first ever smut hunt my first ever smut and i lost it thats when the swearing words started easily into double figures without repitition it had chewed through a 25lb snood i am GUTTED:wallbash::wah::ahhh: am now planning my next trip down there

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
hard luck there mate...
i always use 60lb hook lengths on a pulley rig.. helps with the shock of casting..
and helps against possiable bite off,s.. and the rubbing of the fish on the hook length...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Bad luck on the loss mate, I hate losing fish :(

AL ..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
yep smuts will bight through 20-40 amensia just like that better of wit 60lb

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hard luck matey, i think i would have collapsed just catching a dab, never seen a smut but looking forward to the day when our paths meet:yeah:
Better luck next time Mr Fishfilliter

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the club mate, same thing happened to me about two weeks ago with a doggie in the surf. better luck next time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys its still annoying me i keep having flashbacks am definitly tacking AL and Hogsters advice and beefing up my hooklengths for my next attempt

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the club mate, same thing happened to me about two weeks ago with a doggie in the surf. better luck next time.
bad luck mate i,ve lost fish closer than that off the humber wall but that hasnt bothered me much this was something special

1 - 12 of 12 Posts