World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not being funny....

... but why bother ???

IMHO, there is no situation that requires lug to be gutted. If you are intending to freeze the worms then simply salt them overnight first (in lots of salt while layed out on lots of newspaper)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Does that mean it is possible to use black lug un-gutted? i have used them but i have only ever bought them from the tackle shop. I tried gutting large blow lug out of interest but ended up with a completely useless bait.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
To gut black lug,you need to nip the head of the worm,or gently squeeze the worm until the head pops (sounds nice does`nt it) a few worms will gut themselves automatically as you pump them,unless you put them straight into a bucket of sea water.Gutting them will enable you to keep them in good condition for up to a week,if wrapped in newspaper and stored in a fridge (re-wrap after a day and they will be perfect)
I would`nt gut them if i was using them within 24 hours,as it`s always best to keep as much of the natural juices as you can.Kept any longer than 24 hours,and the bigger worms tend to blow up like balloons,and become very soft.Smaller worms can be kept in sea water for a few days,so long as they`re kept cool,and given fresh water every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts