World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well I have been lurking around these forums for the last few months, and quietly teaching myself to fish over the summer (if that is what season this is :unsure: ) Mainly at my local - Shoreham east arm. On the whole I have been mostly unsuccessfully, the odd mackerel or pout. Last night, however, I tried the East arm at Brighton Marina and would you believe it I caught something worth a smile, my first proper fish. Now, its not massive by any stretch of the imagination but it's a dover sole of 1lb 4oz, so I am chuffed. Also had my first smoothhound but it was a whole 8 inches long, so straight back he went, didn't know they came that small!!All topped off with too many pout to count.

So now what do I do, I have gutted some round fish before and I am not too bad in the old kitchen, but I am not really sure where to start with the Sole. I have done a net search and found plenty of recipes, and even a few good filleting and skinning videos but can't find the info on just simple gutting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wasn't sure which forum to post in but thought the local one was a good place to start, hope this is ok.

Thanks
B.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just take of the head and most of the guts will come away with it,whats left can easily be pulled out with your fingers.Hardly any guts to them really but they are superb eating.Hope this helps....enjoy.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
If you wish to keep the head on during cooking (some will tell you that adds to the flavour, due to juices released by the skull and it's contents)......lay the fish white side down and feel the area just behind the head with your forefinger; you will find an obviously 'soft' area. Just where this soft spot ends (as you feel towards the tail of the fish), use a sharp filleting knife to make a cut of about 1 inch into the soft area, using the hard flesh as a guide; then simply pull the guts out with your fingers.

Sounds complicated, but it's not! Once you get the hang of it.....you will be able to do it all in a few seconds.

Good luck......And well done on the sole by the way; very nice fish! :clap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the replies guys. Reckon I will give the head on approach a try first and if that fails, off with its head.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hold the fish by the head,white side up,then stick the knife into the gut through the gills and pull to the right then turn the knife over draw the gut out with it and cut it off.Sounds complicated but probably the easiest fish of all to gut once you've sussed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts