World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a question

Do you have to gut a fish before filleting it, I always gut them first then fillet but was just wondering if the gutting bit needs to be done first.

The other thing I struggle with is how do you know which side of the head of a flat fish to make cut to remove the guts

Your help/input always greatly appreciated

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do you mean when filleting it to use as bait or to eat?

If i'm eating it then I gut it straight away as the meat spoils far more quickly if you don't, also some fish have worms in their gut that start burrowing into the flesh once the fish is dead.

If i'm using them as bait then I always leave the guts in for extra scent.

Not sure about gutting flatties, I normally feel for the soft spot and hope for the best. I'm sure someone will be able to advise you soon enough.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

I mean for eating what I was thinking was that if you could just fillet the fish whilst on the beach do you really need to gut it first or would there be a problem with the guts still being in place as you take the fillet off

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Never try to fillet a fish on a sandy beach as the sand will get into the meat,
....and at best the fillet will be rogered and at worst you will cut yourself.

Guts out on the beach. I like to leave the head on then fillet at home. Matt

·
Registered
180 Posts
For fish im keeping I always gut on the boat and then fillet at home. This way im filleting on a nice stable platform and I dont have to deal with stinking guts in the house!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts